Talk

Advanced search

Swimming with babies

(21 Posts)
charl1975 Fri 21-Jan-05 16:08:30

Hi

I have a 14 week old and would like to take her swimming but as I have never been before with a baby I am not sure what I can/should be doing when I get there? Any ideas

thanks

lunavix Fri 21-Jan-05 16:09:29

Just a splash around and get them used to the water

You can book in baby classes - been meaning to take my ds for 5 months (he's now 9 months!) but hes finally going... they build it up till theyre dunked under water!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 16:09:57

you get blow up baby boats - ill get you a link if you like - which means they can sit up in the water

babies love swimming! my 2 have great fun

you cant stay in the water too long though cos they get cold quickly

lunavix Fri 21-Jan-05 16:11:02

Yeah when theyre that small 15 minutes or so, ds's lessons are for 30 minutes and by then he's had enough.

Its great, it wears them out and they sleep for ages

fisil Fri 21-Jan-05 16:28:12

we used to love to sing songs:

the grand old duke of york
humpty dumpty
ring a ring a roses

anything that involves up and down actions.

I always took a toy duck and let ds hold it, let it go etc. just to see what it did. It would entice bigger children over to play with it too, which ds loved when he was tiny as he would just watch them and enjoy their rough splashing. They would usually make quack noises and make the duck swim about!

Finally, be really brave. Ds used to cling onto me, but he could move more in the water, so he would let go, or pull himself around me. If he let go and dropped under water, I would just carry on, pull him back up and carry on playing. Occassionally he would be a bit upset when he came back up, so I'd hold him close. But I was careful never to panic if he went under - I wanted him to enjoy it, be used to it, and see going under water as normal! Now he's 2 we play "can you put your nose/chin/forehead/hair/eyes/mouth etc. under water"

charl1975 Sat 22-Jan-05 15:54:58

thanks all - I really appreciate it. A link to the floating boat would be great.

LIZS Sat 22-Jan-05 15:58:54

We use to swish them from side to side whilst holding their shoulders and floating them horiziontally. That way they should start to feel the natural resistance and buoyancy of the water. ds was quite a bit older though (8 months ish).

biglips Sat 22-Jan-05 16:03:46

and a link for me too as my baba is 16 weeks old.

fairycakes Sat 22-Jan-05 16:13:05

i am the same, mine is 18 weeks and been dying to take her swimming - was going to this week but she has been a bit ill so was really disappointed!!

anmyone got advice on nappies? the swim ones are all too big, so what should i do?!! she weighs 14lbs and i think the smalles swim nappies are from 19lbs or something. probably being really thick, but i am guessing you cant put normal nappies on them?!!

Hulababy Sat 22-Jan-05 16:14:53

We used a baby swim seat in the pool so DD could have some freedom in the water for part of her session. Then we would always take her out too and let her have play time in the water without it as well.

LIZS Sat 22-Jan-05 16:22:40

We had an AquaNappy from 3-6 months size, like this in plain royal blue and a seat like this one

Hulababy Sat 22-Jan-05 16:23:21

The reusable swim nappies start from birth: Try these maybe .

Bozza Sat 22-Jan-05 16:30:31

dispsable swim nappies start from 16 lb but both ds and dd wore them with no problem when much lighter. dd first went swimming at 6 weeks. baby seats great but don't leave in too long in case they get cold.

fairycakes Sat 22-Jan-05 19:06:21

thanks for advice on nappies x

RuthAsp11 Mon 04-Apr-05 11:55:26

Hi - can someone please tell me where you can buy disposable aqua nappies? I couldn't seem to find them in Tesco.

mummytosteven Mon 04-Apr-05 11:56:22

boots?

SoupDragon Mon 04-Apr-05 12:28:49

I thought most supermarkets sold them. Or Tescos does. I even had some Asda own brand ones rather than the usual Huggies Little Swimmers.

Raindog Mon 04-Apr-05 12:33:55

Just to hijack this thread (sorry!) at what age can you start taking babies swimming? Is there a minimum legal age or anything? Or recommended age? Thanks!

SoupDragon Mon 04-Apr-05 12:35:57

Whenever you like, TBH. Most people like to wait until their baby has had at least the first set of vaccinations but advice on this differs - anything from no jabs to the full first course.

The main thing is to enjoy it and don't keep your baby in for too long as they get cold very quickly.

Raindog Mon 04-Apr-05 12:57:44

Thanks! That is really helpful - I guess the first set of jabs might come first in that case.

Catilla Mon 04-Apr-05 13:50:17

I have taken ds to lessons since he was about 4 months (with Aquababies ). He loves it (and loves his baths now)! It's all built up quite slowly and with careful attention to each baby's reactions. I think Aquatots is similar.

Some of their principles are:
- you want the water very warm (over 30C)for them to be comfortable (even then they get cold/tired easily)
- Hold them very close to you and bounce in the water to gain confidence. Then hold them a little away but with eye contact. Later face them away from you/gaining confidence. Return to the close cuddle any time they are unsure including after a new challenge
- Associate words (<name>, ready, go! then splash head/face) with getting face wet - then they do a "swim" under water using same words. Baby learns to close eyes/hold breath at the right time. Then when you say those words you can see from their reaction if they are ready to swim or unhappy about it.
- Hold older babies attention with a ball or toy & use songs etc to make it fun/interesting

Hope that's helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now