Talk

Advanced search

wireless home networking

(34 Posts)
lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:05:38

Need mn advice under orders from dh!

We currently have 1 laptop and 2 desktop pcs. Atm we can only run one at a time via usb and an adsl modem to the net. The laptop has wifi installed but the desktops have no wireless capability. Which is the cheapest, simplest way of getting them online all at the same time and talking to each other wirelessly?

Tia

Ameriscot2005 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:06:38

But a wireless hub and a couple of wireless network cards.

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:09:38

he said he knew that .

The trouble is he forgot to mention that there are no pci slots available in one of the desktops.

Can a hub plug into the old usb/adsl modem thingy?

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:10:40

I do apologise for the below par tedious thread from me btw......

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:19:50

bump

COME ON TECHIES!!!!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:22:01

this is what my dh recommends

hes a tech

here

hth

BearintheBigBlueHouse Fri 21-Jan-05 13:28:13

Yeah - we've got a USB thingy for our PC and the Powerbook has a built in Airport card. They both talk to a wireless modem router doo-dah making us happily wirefree - dunno whether the waves are frying our brians tho.....

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:29:53

thanks mr and mrs polish

now he wants to know if one has to be hardwired to the netgear box, or can they all be wireles?. It says the netgear box comes with a free ethernet cable, which infers one of them has to be connected.

mears Fri 21-Jan-05 13:31:24

We have a router as well. Means computer upstairs and laptop can all ne online at same time. It amazes me how you can print a document from the computer upstairs on the printer downstairs. Not sure about the brains either...

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:31:49

er, dont know

i was chatting to him on msn, now hes gone

when he comes back ill ask

all i know is we have 2 computes, one is wireless (the laptop) and a pc but they are totally seperate

BearintheBigBlueHouse Fri 21-Jan-05 13:32:42

They can all be wireless - cable is useful for set up and if some muppet (mea culpa) accidentally changes passwords or settings. D'oh.

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:33:15

i think dh is becoming converted to the church of mumsnet. PLease hope he doesn't join!

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:35:07

np, get him back!

Bitbbh, cheers for that, he is v impressed at the speed of replies, unlike his own boring sites

Beetroot Fri 21-Jan-05 13:36:19

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:36:46

dh says they can all be wireless and online at same time blah blah blah

but the ethernet cable is recommended as it can be used if the wireless isnt working. use a pc near the phone line as the wired one, then the wireless can be configured using that one

hope this isnt a pile of sh*t

he said something about DG834G

mrsflowerpot Fri 21-Jan-05 13:37:22

OK, the best way to is to forget about the USB ADSL modem.

Get a wireless ADSL router/firewall all-in-one. By curious coincidence, there is one reviewed in Issue 2 of Home Computer Magazine, a free PC magazine I’m involved in (shameless plug, I know). You can read the review by getting the mag from home computer magazine

It’s a great bit of kit – we bought one ourselves!

What it will do is plug into the telephone line and provide a permanent gateway to the internet, and share that with the other PCs. The laptop can access it without any additional hardware.

The PCs will require some sort of connection. Now it sounds like one PC is already connected via wire to the ADSL modem and the phone line, so proximity on one of the PCs shouldn’t be an issue. In this case you can use the wire part of the hub (the router mentioned can take up to 4 PCs plugged directly in as well as providing wireless networks – you can mix wired and wireless networks without a worry) with the network cable that is supplied with the router. This will save you buying a wireless “card” for that desktop, and will give you better network speeds.

For the remaining desktop, you just need to buy a USB wireless networks device. There are lots of different options here, but check out any site like Dabs or Simply and you’ll find one. If you need more help on this, let me know.

Lastly, ensure you set up the wireless correctly. It is a bit difficult, but you might like to read the Broadband tutorial in issue 2 of the magazine, which starts to cover the basics and the next issue, published in a week, has the second part which specifically covers wireless network setup.

mrsflowerpot Fri 21-Jan-05 13:38:25

btw they can all be wireless, or one wired, whichever you prefer.

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:46:22

lol @ you and your plugging

Thank you all, dh is going to peruse the techy sites you have all linked and come to a decision, but please keep them coming, he says!

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:47:19

lou, get your wireless now as mumsnetting in the bath is such luxury

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:48:09

you can msn dh - 'come and wash my back'

mrsflowerpot Fri 21-Jan-05 13:50:23

thought it would be OK as it's free! Hope it's helpful.

Ok next cheeky question: would you mind if we used your original question in our Q and A section next month?

mrsflowerpot Fri 21-Jan-05 13:53:35

Dh has been mulling this further.

You can get an Alcatel Speedtouch that does similar things to the DG834G (which is a Netgear) and is the one we reviewed. However, the only thing you need to be careful with is that the wireless card you buy uses the same wireless technology as the router you choose. There is a, b and g (most current version). I'd guess that your laptop is b unless it's very new. g router will support b hardware as well, but b routers can't support g, so check what the laptop is before you buy the router.

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:54:51

i can msn your dh np? I didn't know you were so open in your relationship

mrsf, go for it, not a problem, though i am not sure where you stand from a mn legal pov. I don't mind personally though

lou33 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:55:32

we are g, but thanks for pointing that out

nailpolish Fri 21-Jan-05 13:58:49

lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now