Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BROADBAND - how? who? how much?

(14 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:05:36

Hi all

I know I should know the answers to this, but I dont! At the apartment here we have broadband but it is fibre optic broadband, specifically within our and a couple of other apartment complexes only.

I currently have this package:

£25.00 PM
0.5mb/s download 0.5mb/s upload
Contended 50:1
Free .co.uk domain
10 email addresses
VPN Enabled

So, when we move home to our rental place:

What do I need to get broadband again?*

*Who
is best to use?*

*How
much does it cost for (a) set up? and (b) monthly cost?

I want a package that gives me pretty much unlimited time on the net, so I do know the cheap BT one for example is no use.

Also, I have a remote access system here too. The connection is in Mollie's bedroom, but I have the software/hardware for remote access in the lounge.

Will this work with any broadband system? It isn't branded with the Ask4 site at all.

Thank you!!!

morningpaper Thu 20-Jan-05 21:13:11

Try http://www.adslguide.com/

I pay around 20 quid a month for unlimited access with 512kb downstream and 256 upstream.

jessicasmummy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:14:33

Wanadoo.
£17.99 per month
Unlimited access etc.
Free set up and modem. All you need is a BT phone line.

romantick Thu 20-Jan-05 21:15:44

well i got bt broadband.they delayed my connection by aweek so rang up bt chairmans off ice and now have 6 months free

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:17:39

These are sounding very good! Seems we may be paying over the odds for what we get. When we first moved in it was comparable, but all the other prices have come down!

Anone know if there is a minimum contract length?

romantick Thu 20-Jan-05 21:18:28

norm 12 months.

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:19:22

Well, we will be in the hrental house for 11-12 months, so will have to cope with the overlap I guess.

jessicasmummy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:19:29

Not with wanadoo as far as im aware, its been so easy with them too. get our statements sent by email each month so no paper coming through the door and at £17.99 we found it to be the cheapest. I know BT are currently offereing £15.99 for the first 3 months but i think it then goes up to £19.99 a month. Up to you what you choose but if anyone has found a cheaper one, LET ME KNOW!!!

munnzieb Thu 20-Jan-05 21:21:31

in DH's words it's a shite package ur on - (sorry hon) given the amount you're paying. he's asking how much you want to spend, for £45 you can have an unlimted 8Meg connection.

he says if you move house you will need to pay for the reconnection again, but not the modem, monthly costs start form £15.00 p/m with free set up.

he says to type into google broad band internet providers and that will give you all you need.

disclaimer: I'm not the techno wizz he is! (and that's only his opinion cos he's one of those er... computer nerds!) - sorry geek he says!

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:24:26

Don't want to spend more than we already do £25 a month. Dh complains at that ;)

I am aware that it isn't great now. At time we got it is was good, and as it was only in our apartment complex very fast. But they have grown, and now cover 4 or 5 complexes and are getting slower

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:26:14

Thanks all, and to your DH munnzieb
We will be moving in next 4 weeks all being well, so I can get it sorted then. Just want to know my options.

munnzieb Thu 20-Jan-05 21:29:38

he's still saying google it, out connection is £32.00 p/m 1meg connection unlimited downloads so it's not too much more.

he recons set up will be about £60 ish. in his views.... tiscali is naff, and wanadoo is OK, he recons u should have the fastest you can afford, (but that's just his views really) seems to think a provider with lots of diff connections are better as they'll do more connections at a later stage????

(it's all dutch to me hon, he deals with all of that stuff, but he def says go for free set up and hardwear as then u will have customer support. anyhow, I have to go and spend some time with the geek himself! lol - doh! he he - back to our TTC plans for tonihgt yay!) again thta's just his opinion thou.

munnzieb Thu 20-Jan-05 21:30:56

he ssays he expects the cheque for the consultation fee in the post! he he he (only kiddin hon!) we won't go there with that topic again! good luck with it all, hope the house works out OK. C U all 2morra!

Hulababy Thu 20-Jan-05 21:44:17

LOL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now