Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Yuck Yuck Yuck: Just eaten Waitrose garilic bread and discovered....

(18 Posts)
galaxy Thu 20-Jan-05 18:35:34

a cooked shield bug on a piece that dd was about to take a bite out of:

Gross

Merlin Thu 20-Jan-05 18:37:04

Yuk! But what is a shield bug? I presume you are taking it back to the shop to complain?

Twiglett Thu 20-Jan-05 18:37:38

don't know what one of them is but I would call IMMEDIATELY

and make the biggest over the top fuss about it

see what you get

(stress that DD is traumatised of course and its taken you an hour to calm her down)

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 18:38:46

Shield Bug Yukyukyuk!

Agree with Twiglett - complain as long and loud as you can!

galaxy Thu 20-Jan-05 18:41:33

Called their customer service department and have to take the packaging and a picture in to the shop tomorrow.

essbee Thu 20-Jan-05 18:42:22

Message withdrawn

Merlin Thu 20-Jan-05 18:43:13

Thanks WWB for the picture - OMG thats horrid! I'd be outside the store with a placard protesting!!!!!

Marina Thu 20-Jan-05 18:43:14

I think once you are there with the evidence they will be quite decent about compensating you, Waitrose are normally generous about this kind of thing.

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 18:44:03

Take the bug as well for them to have analysed to find out where it came from, otherwise they will probably say that it came in from your garden and they're not liable.

galaxy Thu 20-Jan-05 18:47:21

She told me not to worry about taking the actual piece of bread or the bug in - just the packaging and the picture. dh threw it into the field.

WigWamBam Thu 20-Jan-05 18:49:18

My mum had a carton of apple juice once full of wood lice, the woman she spoke to said to throw the woodlice away and just return the packaging, but then the company said that because she hadn't returned the bugs as well, there was no proof that the bugs were in the juice at all, so she had no claim against them.

marthamoo Thu 20-Jan-05 19:03:59

Keep a picture and details for yourself too - if you're not happy with whatever Waitrose offer (though they have a good reputation) get in touch with your local Environmental Health Office.

I have only ever seen those shield bugs (and I didn't know that was what they were called!) in high summer - never in January, so I hope it's unlikely they will try and suggest it came from your garden.

Frizbe Thu 20-Jan-05 19:06:56

umm bush tucker in your garlic bread eh, extra protein

galaxy Fri 21-Jan-05 18:47:29

Took the picture in and the wrapper. They apolgised, gave me a crsip ten pound note and said their customer services department would probably send us some vouchers.

essbee Fri 21-Jan-05 18:51:18

Message withdrawn

lowcalCOD Fri 21-Jan-05 18:52:01

hold on finbar has a witrose link will email her

galaxy Fri 21-Jan-05 18:53:15

I've only been shopping with Ocado/Waitrose for 3 weeks - a Sainsburys convert.

Finbar Sat 22-Jan-05 11:36:56

All I can say is that I know of their food research dept up at Bracknell and they WILL look in to it , thery are very thorough and will take it seriously- you may even get a fulsome bug report back. Unforuntaley these things happen though it is far an few between... i think £10 and some vouchers is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now