Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Questions to ask when viewing a house?

(9 Posts)
thedame71 Thu 20-Jan-05 16:55:11

Hi all,
We are viewing a house for the 2nd time this weekend and due to baby number 3 arriving in 6 weeks time - my brain is blank as to what sort of questions should we ask.

Any ideas?

lol the dame x

Blackduck Thu 20-Jan-05 17:21:22

Cost ones - community charge/average gas/elec etc.
How old is the boiler/central heating system?
Any work that might have needed planning permission - is there any?
Double glazing? - guarantees
Neighbours - what are they like?
Why are they moving?
What (if anything) are they leaving?

LIZS Thu 20-Jan-05 17:26:49

Ask about
- running costs - look at recent bills etc.
- if any repairs or renovations have been done recently and what guarantees exist if the work was significant
- local schools/playgroups and how far to nearest local store, take away, bus stop etc if you don't know the area
- how long they have been there and why moving, previous history if they know it
- what fixtures and fittings/appliances/curtains are included in the sale price, what is negotiable

annh Thu 20-Jan-05 17:27:01

V quickly off the top of my head

what the neighbourhood is like, facilities for kids etc., who lives next door?
Why are the present owners moving?
What would they leave in the house - curtains etc?

Chandra Thu 20-Jan-05 17:50:33

Schools in the area, traffic, night noise (we are in the route between the university and the city centre and we get a good amount of noise at 11 and 2 am when they are going home after partying at the city centre. There was no indication at all of that that we could have noticed at the visits.

Frizbe Thu 20-Jan-05 17:52:19

double check the wiring, plug points, tv ariel points,also the roof and guttering....as nothing worse than getting in and realising either not very many/leaks etc or you need to do a lot of work!

SofiaAmes Thu 20-Jan-05 21:21:20

Get their phone number so that you can contact them directly when the estate agents start telling you lies/obstructing things. I had this happen to me several times and was very sad that I hadn't gotten the seller's phone number beforehand to check facts.

Mum2girls Thu 20-Jan-05 21:29:03

What are the facilities like in the area (unless you know this already)

Check with the council for any plans in the area

What's the reason for them moving?

How long have the neighbours been there and how well do they know them?

If you like it, I'd also visit the house/area at different times of the day.

piffle Thu 20-Jan-05 21:38:31

check the area out on www.upmystreet.co.uk
very useful website!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now