Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Commissioning a Portrait...Any ideas?

(16 Posts)
doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 21:35:48

I would like to commission a painting of my ds.Can anyone recomend an artist?Is anyone an artist looking for work?Not sure what style.I would like to see samples and see what moves me!

NotQuiteCockney Tue 18-Jan-05 21:39:11

I know a local artist who does portrait paintings. She did some sketches of my DSes as Xmas gifts. She's located in East London, and travelling is tricky, though. Where are you?

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 21:41:29

Hi There I am in Warwickshire.Does she work from photos?

CountessDracula Tue 18-Jan-05 21:44:34

Ooooh yes for something unusual try this site And the artist is a mumsnetter!

If you look at the gallery page, you will see the one she did of my pup. They are really cool, look like a photo from a distance but quite abstract up close. Everyone comments on it - I am going to get one done of dd soon.

CountessDracula Tue 18-Jan-05 21:44:46

oh and she works from photos

romantick Tue 18-Jan-05 21:49:08

so what would you like it done in .
oils,charcoal,oil pastels
easy to work from a photo.
or charcoal another option.then do you want it on canvas or card etc.
and style what style would you like.
slight abstract can look very good.did my son in that

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 21:51:53

Countess Dracula.I do not believe it.I have seen this artists work before some years ago in amag i think.I Love her stuff!I am very,very excited.And to think she is a mumsnetter.What a talented bunch live on mumsnet!Thankyou a billion times.This is to be a surprise for dp. .

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 21:57:25

romantick.I would like something big!on canvas i think.I like the idea of charcoal and oils.Do you have any pics?

romantick Tue 18-Jan-05 21:58:03

email a photo and will do a small portrait on paper in pastels for nothing.

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 22:06:36

Thankyou very much.I need to do it when dp ain t around and get some help as i am rather unsure how to do it.Will try tomorrow.

romantick Tue 18-Jan-05 22:09:48

my email is howardjones13@hotmail.com
email us now and i will email you my sons pic

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 22:16:44

done it.

romantick Tue 18-Jan-05 22:25:48

so many styles can be done that was done in oil pastels.

doobydoo Tue 18-Jan-05 22:44:49

He looks like a real character.
What do you think would work best on a large canvas and how much would it be?

aloha Tue 18-Jan-05 22:53:54

Google portrait artist or something like that. The society of portrait painters (I think) has a fantastic website with examples of the work of all their artists and an idea of prices. I think it's a wonderful idea.

romantick Tue 18-Jan-05 23:13:51

oils take along time as often you are doing one section then waiting a week for it to dry before doing another section.
acryilics dry quicker but the thought of oil and the depth you can do to it make it very good.and how big canvas do you want sizes go up to quite big sizes depend on what you like.
canvas can start from £4 and go upto £100's with a massive size
oils can cost £5 a tube .so bigger painting the more it costs .
time factor is where it gets all tied up.just pay for the materials and il paint.if happy with it just make a donation what you feel happy with

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now