Talk

Advanced search

Was told I don't give a shit about my baby today.

(247 Posts)
Flossam Tue 18-Jan-05 17:39:39

My pram is (unfortunately) too big to fit through the front of the buses where I live (london) but luckily buses here have back doors too, which many people use to get on and off them. I got on the bus today at the back, and as I was doing so heard the hydrolics go for them to shut, but obviously the driver realised I was getting on and stopped. Anyway, I went to the front to pay and the driver said to me 'You pull a stunt like that again on my bus and you won't get on' I had to ask him to repeat it, and then tried to explain to him that I was sorry but I couldn't fit through the front. He said I should of 'asked' first. Anyway, I wasn't too bothered, walked away having paid and two more passengers got on. To the first he said 'did you see here with that bloody pram?' And to the second he said 'obviously dosen't give a shit about here baby'.

To this I saw absolutely red and went to the front of the bus again, when he repeated what he said again, and told me I could of killed my baby (I don't think so strapped in to a secure, if bulky pram). I told him I would complain and asked him his name, he laughed, asked him the bus number, again he laughed. I decided I couldn't stay on and got off the bus at the next stop, then thought about it and asked for my money back. Surprise, surprise, he refused. I went home again, cried all the way home, and have phoned a complaint through, but still felt the need to rant here, sorry. Did he really have any right to call me that? I think it's hard enough to be a new mum without people casting such dispersions over you.

spacedonkey Tue 18-Jan-05 17:42:30

GRRR!

you were absolutely right to complain, what a bunch of bastards!

nikcola Tue 18-Jan-05 17:43:56

the bastard if you see him again tell him to f**K off the cheeky sod make a complaint against him xxx dont feel bad your not a bad mom and u do care about your baby xxx hope u feel better xxxx

dawnie1 Tue 18-Jan-05 17:44:08

Ignore the stupid ignorant b***d. He obviously believes he is 'Lord of a Bus' and if thats the only way he feels he can gain power over people then I feel very sorry for him. Stupid twat.

kkgirl Tue 18-Jan-05 17:45:51

So sorry to hear this Flossam.
You poor thing, of course he had no right at all to speak to you like that, or to speak about you to other people.
I am glad you have reported him, even if in his opinion, you were wrong to go through the back door. You are a customer of the bus company, and he had verbally abused you. There is no need for it, its making me really angry thinking about it. I had experiences like it when I had my twins in a double buggy and a toddler to cope with, and was without a car. Not as bad as you, but impatient, unhelpful bus drivers.

Try not to think about it again, its not worth it.

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 18-Jan-05 17:47:12

He's a pig, hope he gets a real roasting from the bus company for pulling a stunt like that.

sallystrawberry Tue 18-Jan-05 17:47:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Carla Tue 18-Jan-05 17:51:07

Flossam, what a to**er. Will they be be able to associate your complaint with him? XXXX

Flossam Tue 18-Jan-05 17:55:35

I hope so Carla, I phoned up as soon as I got back, they knew the bus, the way it was going, where I got on, what time and a description of him. They have said they will tell me an outcome within 15 working days. DP thinks i should write as well, but the bloke on the phone seemed very thorough.

helsy Tue 18-Jan-05 18:02:45

Write to confirm your conversation. That's abuse. If you'd been abusive to him, presumably he could have chucked you off his bus or called the police. It works both ways. Clearly he has a "training need".W*er.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 18-Jan-05 18:03:46

Flossam, I would follow up with a letter.

I'm so sorry that that happened to you. Write the letter then don't think about it again. It's a real bugger getting on those buses with a double pram. The DTs and I don't do buses if we can help it. Shame you can't send the driver's picture, we could do a double buggy sit-in on and around his bus.

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 18:08:25

I'd write a very strong letter of complaint. Even if you didn't get his name - you must know the number of the bus you got on and the approx time and where - that way they could trace who it was. In addition, tell them you'll be writing a letter to the local paper too - and do it!

Cheeky bastard - I'd have lamped him (well, not really but would have liked to! )

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 18:09:27

Oh sorry, should have read earlier posts

Yes, definitely follow it up in writing otherwise it would be very easy to say they had no record of it if it was just by phone, however nice the person on the other send seemed.

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 18:09:58

Oh, that's horrid Flassam . I'd write a formal letter of complaint detailing the bus number/route, where you got on and the time & date. Hopefully they'll be able to get an idea of who the driver is from their rotas.

victoriapeckham Tue 18-Jan-05 18:12:35

Sure he was rude. But is it a good idea taking such a bulky pram on a bus so that other people wouldn t be able to get on and off easily and would have trouble in an emergency? And frankly, MTMML do double buggies (and enormous threewheelers) really have a place on buses as they are always banging against people's legs - particuarly elderly people.

Flossam couldn't you have collapsed the buggy so that it wasn t taking up so much space?

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 18:13:40

stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring..............

cat82 Tue 18-Jan-05 18:14:53

Poor Flossam, so angry on your behalf Definatly complain, he had no right to speak to you like that.

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 18:15:51

Uh-oh.

victoriapeckham Tue 18-Jan-05 18:17:11

I am deadly serious. How can you blame the driver for thinking about the safety of other passengers!

MistressMary Tue 18-Jan-05 18:17:48

Disgusting.

You did absolutely the right thing.
The buses are there to provide a service to ALL the community and he has no place to air his opinions like that.

Good luck.

Moomina Tue 18-Jan-05 18:18:53

VP, I've never met a bus driver who gave a shit about the safety of his passengers.

Flossam, he was a wanker. Write a letter and copy it to the local passengers committee (sorry not sure where you live!)

sallystrawberry Tue 18-Jan-05 18:19:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Socci Tue 18-Jan-05 18:19:22

Message withdrawn

Tinker Tue 18-Jan-05 18:19:23

He may well have been a lovely considerate driver, extremely concerned about the safety of all his passnegers. But not likely if he was so f*ing rude.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 18-Jan-05 18:19:55

victoria, not going to get into an argument with you, but I have twin babies and do not drive. So, if I need to get somewhere with them, eg hospital, visiting my sister and anywhere I damn well please then YES they do have a place on the bus. It sits very nicely in the same place that a wheelchair would, though maybe bulky items like that shouldn't be on the bus either...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: