loader

Talk

Advanced search

what's happened to my skin?

(15 Posts)
Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 13:07:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chandra Tue 18-Jan-05 13:12:02

Is there a chance that you are exposed to more or a different kind of polution. That happens to my skin when I'm in holidays...

Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 13:14:32

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 18-Jan-05 13:14:42

Do you exfoliate ? If not, it could be that the drying weather is making your skin a bit flaky and those flakes aren't coming off efficiently. Leaving you with dead skin blocking your pores (causing zits) and giving you a dull complexion. Try a gentle exfoliant followed by a clay mask for sensitive skin (pref with tea tree oil in it).

Tanzie Tue 18-Jan-05 13:15:04

If spots are on your chin, it's hormones. Apparently.

Can recommend Aqueous Cream for moisturising - bland and you are highly unlikely to be allergic. Comes in large tubs (get next visitor to bring you one from Boots) and v cheap. You can also use it to wash with instead of soap.

Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 13:42:44

motherinferior Tue 18-Jan-05 13:45:40

How do you clean your skin? Can you change to one of the many Eve Lom-style 'waxy' cleansers you rinse off with a muslin cloth? That did a lot for mine.

Although at the moment I do have an unaccustomed zit.

Hausfrau Tue 18-Jan-05 13:48:56

motherinferior Tue 18-Jan-05 13:57:15

Would http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.htmlthis be slighltly less revolting to you?

I just use the sort of three-pack muslins familiar to any mum.

motherinferior Tue 18-Jan-05 13:57:37

bugger

motherinferior Tue 18-Jan-05 13:58:18

aaarrgh, it's called Ultrabland, go figure...

hester Tue 18-Jan-05 14:34:40

I find that it's the combination of central heating and cold weather (i.e. rushing in and out from one to the other) that really does for skin. I would try:

- keeping a bowl of water on your radiator to make sure the air is kept humid

- cleansing every day; either a gentle cream/lotion that you can wash off in the shower, or some lovely Eve Lom-ish type stuff

- wearing a good moisturiser with SPF15 to protect your skin from the weather

- gently exfoliating once a week

- avoiding Clinique like the plague: lovely make-up, but their skincare products are very harsh

You don't need to spend much on cleanser and moisturiser, but don't go for the very cheapest. A mid-market brand (e.g. L'Oreal, Nivea) should be fine.

foxinsocks Tue 18-Jan-05 14:46:38

hausfrau, I too had picture perfect skin until about 6 months after I had my second child. Now I have loads of spots (that are sort of under my skin but still look horrible), loads of blackheads and nasty ones with whiteheads around my chin and nose (making myself sound lovely aren't I??!!). I have also started developing my first wrinkles.

I'm sure it's hormonal - there is a recognised condition called 'adult acne' - if you google it you'll come up with loads of stuff. You can actually go to the GP for something (they can give you a contraceptive pill that does stuff for your skin etc.).

Personally, I'm just living with it at the mo. I've also noticed that my hair is suffering as well (it seems to be incredibly greasy at the roots and dry at the ends) so I'm not sure if that's connected as well.

That's all a bit rambly!! but just to let you know, you're not on your own!

Gobbledigook Tue 18-Jan-05 15:00:00

foxinsocks - sounds similar to me. I've not had any spots whatsoever for about 13 years but when pg with ds3 last year just got a small patch on my cheek. I thought it was hormonal but ds3 is now nearly 5 months and it's still there. It is like a little patch of acne but is covered quite well with make up. Really irritating though

foxinsocks Tue 18-Jan-05 15:07:21

it is v irritating. My ds (my second child) is now 3 years old so I've had it a while. grrr to spots. I'm thinking about trying that Garnier Pure A cream that's just being advertised (though I'm always v sceptical about creams that claim to help adult spotty skin!) - I love it's marketing blurb though - 'formulated for skin that's prone to imperfections'! V polite way of saying shitty skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now