Talk

Advanced search

Swimming with 1 year old

(9 Posts)
charlie01 Mon 17-Jan-05 20:14:21

I've been taking my DS swimming for the past year but recently it's turned into a nightmare. He still really likes it but doesn't want me to hold onto him (he screams) but he can't walk so he tries to crawl at the edge of the baby pool but either crawls out (into the changing rooms with me running behind!) or into the deep bit. The swim ring thing wont hold him in enough anymore, anyone got any other ideas as to what I could buy or how to amuse him in the pool, have tried singing, toys etc but can't keep him interested he just wants to crawl!

zebra Mon 17-Jan-05 20:18:37

I used to let mine just walk/crawl/wander around the edge of the pool...I felt like we went to the pool so that he got some time in the water, didn't have to be all the time in.

My kids still have great fun playing the lockers (perfect cubby holes for them)...Maybe yet another of my anti-social parenting habits.

nasa Mon 17-Jan-05 20:20:27

buy a back float and some arm bands (get the ones that are foam discs not the blow up ones). You can get them all from here
swimming teachers association it won't link to the actual floats but if you go to the website and click on online shop(on righthandside) then 'Swim & Save' then 'Floats & Aids' the back float is the first thing you see - suitable from ages 1-6

kinderbob Mon 17-Jan-05 20:20:56

When my ds got to this stage I had a couple of months off (nicely coincided with winter). Went back once it was actually enjoyable.

charlie01 Mon 17-Jan-05 20:21:43

I had a feeling that would be the case! It was traumatic enough putting the swimming costume on to hide in the water nevermind parading around the edge for an hour!

Am just worried he's going to slip while he's crawling though, plus the drowning bit when he crawls straight in is quite scary!

nasa Mon 17-Jan-05 20:22:36

why can't you just get him some floats though? (see my other post )

lockets Mon 17-Jan-05 20:22:46

Message withdrawn

charlie01 Mon 17-Jan-05 20:24:23

sorry nasa im very slow, there was only one reply when I started typing! Am checking them out now!

nasa Mon 17-Jan-05 20:28:41

ah, ok
it's what I used and worked a treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now