Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ok - do any of your sons go to ballet or dance?

(44 Posts)
cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 11:50:18

My ds is 4½ and is going to his first ballet class next weekend. I am perfectly happy with this as it is exercise and something he really wants to do - his best friend is a girl and he wants to join her class. He loves dancing anyhow and is really looking forward to it. Even my dh is ok with it!
Just wondered if there were any other boys out there who are into this? My only concern is that one day (if he wants to continue with it) he may get teased or bullied because of it.

logic Mon 17-Jan-05 11:59:05

I'll be watching this thread with interest, cupcake because my ds (2) loves to dance and I already take him to a dance class. I expect that he will want to continue with some sort of dance exercise too. The ballet class idea is lovely!

wordgirl Mon 17-Jan-05 11:59:25

My ds1 who is 11 has been doing ballet for about the past year. He loves it ! He goes to an all boys class (there are 4 boys in it)
I don't think he has been teased or bullied but that may be because he keeps fairly quiet about it at school.
I think it's great and I'm very proud of him for having the strength of character to do something he likes despite of what other people may think.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 17-Jan-05 12:00:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fairyfly Mon 17-Jan-05 12:02:17

Yes loves it, hes just 4, been going for a year, only boy and feels very special

chocfreeclary Mon 17-Jan-05 12:07:51

My ds1 goes to a dance and movement class at the local dance centre, more improvisation etc, not ballet or tap, but he seems to liek it.
It's good for exercise as you say, also social skilsl and confidence and (esp ballet) for posture. Good luck to your ds!

ThomCat Mon 17-Jan-05 12:10:44

My DP did ballet when he was a little boy.

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 12:13:13

That's really good news!
I am glad they all enjoy it. My ds has always been quite a sensitive soul so it does seem to suit him. He's yet to show an interest in any particular boy's pursuits.
We're just having a trial to see how he gets on - he may well be the only boy but I don't think he'll mind too much as he's always been happier with girls (he's always found other boys too rowdy).
Hopefully he will gain in confidence with this.

hoxtonchick Mon 17-Jan-05 12:14:29

i'm intending to take ds to dance lessons. he's almost 3 & just loves music. he dances in quite a funky way - i have no idea where he got it from, both dp & i are useless!

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 12:26:01

What do the boys wear? I've been told that to start off with (till he decides he definitely does want to continue with it) we can send him in shorts and a t-shirt.
Does he have to wear a leotard???
I am hoping for maybe some loose leggings and a vest. What do the boys wear in the real life clips on Angelina Ballerina (it's been so long since we had Nick Jr I can't remember)?

fairyfly Mon 17-Jan-05 12:35:18

Mine started off in shorts and vest till we knew he wanted to do it. Now a white leotard, navy blue shorts and white ballet shoes.

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 12:44:23

That sounds manageable!

wilbur Mon 17-Jan-05 13:10:46

Ds (just 4) has ballet as part of his school curriculum until the end of reception, so he will have done 2 years of it by then. He enjoys the movement and likes his macho black ballet shoes - we were allowed to sit in on a class last term and it was very sweet, although there was a lot more competent skipping from the girls than the boys! If ds wants to contuinue with it, he can at school and I would be pleased if he did.

Twiglett Mon 17-Jan-05 13:13:32

have you ever seen a professional male ballet dancer's physique .. and as for their strength and stamina .. well.....

I'd love DS to do ballet .. but actually I'd hate for DD to do it (ballerina's feet from pointes) so I think I can't send him

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 13:16:42

Yes... I was thinking if he turns out like Will Kemp that would be quite ok!!

Fimbo Mon 17-Jan-05 13:22:23

Hi Cupcakes,
At my dd's ballet class the boys wear a white t-shirt and black shorts (similar to cycle shorts) and black ballet pumps. One of the boys in the class calls it "dancing" as opposed to ballet. Our dance school puts on a "show" every 2 years and last year for the first time it was on at the Theatre Royal and I have since then noticed more boys have joined because they wanted to be like their sisters and be in the show!!

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 13:25:27

Hi Fimbo - I think this group occasionally does a show at the Theatre Royal too!

albosmum Mon 17-Jan-05 13:42:49

DS1 went to dance for about 2 years - no teasing but he gave it up to do art and now does pottery and cookery. Loved it hope yours does

KBear Mon 17-Jan-05 14:02:10

There is one boy at DD's ballet class and sadly his granny takes him so his dad doesn't find out.

I vowed when I had kids that they can do whatever they want as long as they are happy (I mean classes, subjects at school - NOT running riot generally )!

cupcakes Mon 17-Jan-05 14:30:09

Me too, KBear - it's his life after all!!
That's so sad about that little boy... at least someone in his family has his happiness as a priority.

cupcakes Tue 18-Jan-05 15:08:32

OMG!! First time one of my threads has made the home page! Am duly excited (as you can probably tell!)
Ds still really looking forward to his first lesson on Saturday

Gem13 Tue 18-Jan-05 15:19:43

cupcakes - I want my DS to do it but fear he may end up in the England squad or as a replacement for Balamory's Archie ATM (he is only 2.5 though so time will tell).

If you wanted him to see some male dancers in action do check out George Piper Dances when they next tour.

George Piper Dances

Elvis Tue 18-Jan-05 19:40:15

My ds2 is just 4 and has started tap lessons which he adores. Although tap doesn't have such a 'pink and frilly' image IYKWIM.

meysey Tue 18-Jan-05 22:54:32

I really hope it goes well and that he doesn't succomb to peer pressure. My son really wanted to do ballet but there was no space in the local dance school class. By the time a place came up, he had been nobbled by friends at nursery and now he thinks ballet is "disgusting" and won't try it. (he is 4.5)

To show you how sensitive about it boys can be....
a friend's son (A) hit his own close friend for saying that A's younger brother went to ballet, instead of calling it dance!

cupcakes Wed 19-Jan-05 10:46:11

hmm.. that's what I'm anxious about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now