Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Parking problem- advice badly needed (long)

(30 Posts)
stuckindrive Sun 16-Jan-05 12:15:10

We live on the right hand side of a road only wide enough for 2 cars to pass & traditionally the on-road parking is only on our side of the road. There are no yellow lines or restrictions but parking both sides totally blocks the road.

Opposite is a block of private flats. In the 7 years we have lived here, each time a flat changes hands (& it is often) the new residents start parking on the road opposite our house, in front of their door. Within a few days they stop & start using their car park, on the side of the building. (Our neighbours once used the car park & were told not to, in no uncertain terms).

About 2 months ago this K reg mondeo started parking opposite. He has continued to do so, and now other people are starting to as well. Although he has 2 wheels & most of his undercarriage on the pavement he is blocking the access to 3 drives- including ours. The road is too narrow to manoeuvre with someone parked opposite & I’m having huge problems getting in and out. Next door’s visitors over Xmas couldn’t park in front of their house because of him, so parked behind him, right opposite my drive, and I couldn’t get out at all.

I wrote a note to put on his windscreen but DH wouldn’t let me put it on there because he says he knows of people in similar circumstances & when they’ve complained, the people retaliate by keying their cars. I suggested we ring the police & say he’s blocking the pavement- again no- if he parks all 4 wheels on the road it’ll be worse. I thought I could write to the Residents Association (would they have one?) & say how frustrating it was and would they speak to him. DH feels they may then ask for yellow lines on OUR side of the road.

DD told me that DH has recently been tackled by one of the residents (not mondeo-man) and told not to park opposite their car park because he couldn’t get out. We have parked there (outside our house) for 7 years & the previous owners who had the house from new also parked there for 7 years & we’ve never had a complaint. I have watched people nip in & out of their car park with our car there & even vans don’t have a problem. I’m wondering now if this is behind their inconsiderate parking. It seems odd for it to come up now. DH has noticed that mondeo man uses the car park in the daytime during the week but always parks out there at weekends & evenings when both our cars are home, suggesting he is trying to be awkward.

My feeling is that because we haven’t said anything he will just carry on, & the situation will get worse. DH feels it will get worse if we do, so we are at stalemate. It is causing huge rows between us because I feel he is letting us be pushed around & it is getting to the point where I want to move. If we were in a road where parking was at a premium & he had no choice but to park there that would be different, but there is plenty of space in his car park & further down the road, so there is no excuse.

If you have stayed with me this long, thanks . What do I do to get this solved? Is DH right about the retaliation or do I write to them? I did try to approach this man in the beginning but he always dashed indoors when he saw me coming, suggesting he knows he is in the wrong. (From a purely commonsense POV wouldn't he think that if they were OK parking there, one of the other residents would already have bagged the spot?)

TracyK Sun 16-Jan-05 12:35:47

From previous experience I have put a note on the offending windshield (anonymously) - which when challenged - i admitted it was me - had a row with the woman and then it all got better.
I've moved house since and now I find I have the same prob as you - although I can get in and out - it just takes blooming ages, but we live opposite a church and sometimes there's funerals on. But sometimes the wardens etc park right across from my drive - theirs is the only car in the whole street - so they could park anywhere - I'm just waiting till I'm trying to get out and then I can glare at them.
But I would defo put a polite but firm note on the windscreen.

Surfermum Sun 16-Jan-05 12:56:45

It does seem ridiculous that he has a car park available but he still parks in the road, so I would be inclined to think he's doing it on purpose. How long has it been going on? If you don't react maybe he'll get fed up. Or what about if you get together with your neighbours and you all tackle him together, then you can't be singled out. You don't have to have a go, just point out nicely that because he parks where he does it means you can't get in and out of your drives.

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 13:15:10

Is there space in the car park at the weekend for all the residents' cars? Maybe there just isn't a space for him when he arrives then...I think in the first instance I wouldn't assume he is being stroppy (despite him dashing away ), I would write a very polite little note asking if you could discuss it with him and stick it under his wiper.

(Actually I'm lying, if it was me I'd be hopping up and down with frustration and rage, but YKWIM! Parking does bring out the very worst in people! And they do park as near as poss to where they are going if they can, regardless of inconvenience to others - my neighbour's idle able-bodied son always parks outside my house if he can, it drives me wild, especially if it's raining and I come home with a bootful of shopping!)

If he doesn't respond to a note then maybe ask police/traffic warden what the legal situation is. Parking practically on the pavement, and causing an obstruction so that a drive can't be used, are both offences of some kind I think. But yes, you may end up with yellow lines your side to accommodate the larger volume of traffic in and out of their car park.

Oh - have just noticed that you said he parks on the street when there is space in the carpark. Dunno then!

SenoraPostrophe Sun 16-Jan-05 13:22:47

I doubt he's doing it just to be awkward - he's probably just lazy and thinks it doesn't matter where he parks during the eve and at weekends.

I'd leave a polite note on his windscreen - don't think it'll cause problems. If it does cause problems then look at official options.

Freckle Sun 16-Jan-05 13:26:01

Could you approach the local authority to see what the parking options are? It may be that, if they want to stop people parking on both sides of the road to facilitate traffic flow and they can see the problems being caused, they may decide to put double yellows on the other side of the road.

Mirage Sun 16-Jan-05 14:25:55

People used to do this on our street,to the guy who lived opposite us.He had a driveway,but didn't have a car,but would still leave notes under windscreen wipers if his drive was blocked.

It is an offence to block a drive,& our old neighbour called the police more than once about it.The police went up & down the street knocking on doors until they found the cars owner.If they hadn't found who owned it,they would have had it towed away.

Have you thought of asking the council if they will paint a line in front of your drive like this I-------------------------I,to prevent inconsiderate parking?I know that another of the people on our street had it done with no problems.

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 15:01:21

He's parking across the street, opposite their drive though, Mirage - he's not blocking their drive, only their access to it, IYSWIM.

lou33 Sun 16-Jan-05 15:31:45

Jan is correct. We had the same problems after we moved here. Narrow road, trouble getting our car in and out of the drive because of parking opposite. We had to ask the neighbour concerned to please move along a bit, as they had no reason to park right opposite our drive, they just did, plenty of room in the rest of the street. They moved - about 18 inches, so we can just squeeze in and out now. The council said parking opposite a drive is not blocking access, only if it across the drive itself. If others come and park opposite, which often happens, we put a note on saying we are unable to get in and out if they park there and could they please park somewhere else in future. We always put the number of the house we live in. Haven't had any problems with that either.

moondog Sun 16-Jan-05 15:48:43

sid I really really sympathise. We have experienced huge problems of this ilk for years and years in our old home and was a major factor in us moving. When you are felling a bit down, it canm really take over asnd sometimes make you feel quite quite ill.

As a nation I think we resort to often to the 'polite note'. It can I think antagonize even further. I think you need to bite the bullet and approach him directly, even knocking on his door if need be. My sister's theory on the direct approach is to consider which is preferable-10 minutes of embarassment, or weeks and months (years?) of feeling pissed off. Actually, it's only thinking about the approach that is the worst. Once you've done it, it's usually ok, either because they see your point, or,if they protest/disagree, you realize they're as much of a tosser as you thought they were.

Re keying the car. Well, if he does (highly unlikely) bear in mind that you know which is HIS car, and he knows that. he's as vulnerable as you!

If he is obstructing your drive (wherever parked) I would imagine that this is an offence. Worth talking to the police about your position.
(BTW, anyone is entitled to park on the public road whether it is outside your own or anyone else's house. We had a big to do with a very aggressive neighbour about this, as most of the houses around us had double yellows outside so it was first come,first served. There were many ludicrous and selfish occurences such as people leaving 'their' space and trying to save it with bollards for 8 hours while they were at work (this in the heart of a mediaeval walled town!!)

As an aside, I can't tell you what an enormous difference it has made to be able to sweep (house not that huge-just want to use the word 'sweep' in this sense!) into my own drive and close the gate, unloading the car and getting the children out safely instead of parking 300 m away and staggering back with shopping,carseat,tearaway toddler and so on.
(Do you know that driving issues are now one of the major sources of neighbourly disharmnoy in the UK?)

starlover Sun 16-Jan-05 21:46:29

I would try a note on the windscreen if I were you. He can't key your car unless he knows it is you.
If that doesn't work then you are perfectly entitled to report it to the police because he is causing an obstruction to a public right of way.
Therefore if he parks completelt on the road that'd be even worse!
He'll soon get tired of the police coming round to ask him to move it!

gingerbear Sun 16-Jan-05 21:52:25

I got some very good advice from the Neighbours from hell website. link here
Lots of people post with parking problems on that website.

WestCountryLass Sun 16-Jan-05 22:12:52

If it were me I would keep an eye out for him and jsut tell him your predicament. I think far better to just confront things and be civil as more than likely he is completely unaware of the havoc he is causing.

If there are still problems after you have spoken to him then maybe you can contact the council re parking restrictions?

SofiaAmes Sun 16-Jan-05 22:16:20

I had a similar problem with a neighbor. Tried putting a note under his windshield. He ignored it. I then cornered him when he was parking and spoke to him directly. He was very defensive at first, but I pulled the "it's for the safety of my little babies" card and that seemed to help. In the end we talked for about 30 minutes and made peace and now he parks considerately.
I would recommend speaking to him.

stuckindrive Mon 17-Jan-05 21:32:31

Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't been able to get back here earlier. Unfortunately speaking to him directly is very difficult because since that first time I've never managed to actually catch him outside. As it's flats they have the one front door, which is locked. I don't know which flat he's in and I don't know what his name is, so I can't really knock on the door.

It is reassuring to know that other people have had the same problem and that it's not me being difficult.

Just going to check that link to the neighbours from hell site.

moschops Tue 18-Jan-05 10:53:38

if this is such a narrow road i think it would be worth drawing the problem to the attention of your local councillor. they may well have dealt with problems like this before and will be able to give you advice.

i would talk to the other residents on the road and if everyone is in agreement then contact the council about having some appropriate markings put on the road. at the very least you should all have a solid white line painted across the top of your drive. then anyone blocking your access would actually be breaking the law and you would be within your rights to call the police.

do you know any police officers? we have a couple of friends who are and have picked their brains in the past about issues like this. if not though, phone your local police station and ask to speak to someone about the problem, i've always found them to be quite helpful.

connyflower Tue 18-Jan-05 11:27:36

i would try and talk to him if you get your car keyed you know why it'll be! ive got same problem we live near a train station and people park outside our flat to get the train into town, drives me mad, ive resorted to blocking these drivers into the car park with my car and relish in enjoying them panic as they cant get out! when they do know i kindly inform them that this is A PRIVATE CAR PARK!!!
could you not block mondao man in so he has to knock at your door to get his car out?

connyflower Tue 18-Jan-05 11:29:33

sorry was meant to say if you get your car scratched you'll know it was him!

moschops Tue 18-Jan-05 12:23:18

connyflower......my dp suggested blocking him in. get together with a neighbour and block him bumper to bumper. it's a guaranteed way to get his attention.

connyflower Tue 18-Jan-05 12:26:04

you go girl block mondao man in and make him knock! just for the pure pleasure of him being inconvienienced

Mothernature Tue 18-Jan-05 12:27:33

let his tyres down I would, i'm so fed up with other people being so incosiderate when it comes to parking.....arrggghhh...

stuckindrive Tue 18-Jan-05 19:08:05

There's been a development. As I parked tonight he came round the corner. He went to the car park, drove in, then reversed back to his usual spot on the pavement. I went over to him and said would he not park there as it blocks the drives. He said he could get out of there and where was he supposed to park. (?!) In your car park, I told him; we are not allowed to use it. There wasn't a space, he said, but I pointed out that another car had just gone in there. That was his partner. Um, not my problem..

Then he started shouting about being considerate and said that our car stopped him getting out of the car park because his car is big and his back wheel catches on the kerb. (I've seen luton vans go in and out...) He said he's spoken to DH who was rude to him and that we couldn't expect him to be courteous if we weren't [confused emoticon]

I said we'd been parking there for 7 years and no-one had ever complained and that no-one else seemed to have a problem with it.

THEN he went berserk and said he didn't need this (like I do after a 3 hour drive each way for a 5 hour meeting today) and to stop "mouthing off at him" . As he didn't look old enough to shave I could have decked him for that . He got in the car shouting about contacting the council (who will give him a ticket for parking on the pavement ) and went roaring and screeching up the road.... hmmm

Course, this makes it worse. He isn't trying to upset us- in his little mind he thinks we are in the wrong.

I spoke to DH. He didn't realise it was mondeo man. Apparently mm told DH to park up the road! DH politely explained that he wasn't going to, as last time he parked there his car was damaged. When mm carried on, DH told him to f* off, and he did. DH is quite a mild mannered weed, so presumably mm has a problem with women?

Any thoughts?

Mothernature Tue 18-Jan-05 20:40:29

as i said before let his tyres down [naughty emotion]

connyflower Thu 20-Jan-05 11:46:33

what a bloody cheek! defo block him in and let his tyres down

KBear Thu 20-Jan-05 13:23:32

Could a fire engine get down your road with him parked there? If you think not I would ring the Council and ask them to reassess the parking situation there.

The council don't know unless you tell them there's a problem, I have found that they usually act,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now