Talk

Advanced search

How do I get Virgin to talk to me?

(16 Posts)
hester Thu 13-Jan-05 18:19:58

This is a very boring plea for help, but I'm getting desperate...

My home computer (an iMac) corrupted and packed up. On the advice of the Apple helpdesk I re-installed the software, but that wiped the connection to my Virgin email/internet account and I need to re-establish it. For that I need various bits of information such as ISP address and phone number, type of configuration etc, which was all stored in the computer before (and therefore which I can't now access).

This week I have emailed Virgin several times through their website, but they have not responded. There is no phone number; they say if you want to be phoned you have to type in your email address and they'll send the number. Only that doesn't work for me, of course, because I can't access my email! I tried entering my work email but they wouldn't accept it (presumably because they don't recognise it).

This is so ridiculous, but can anyone advise me how to get hold of a real live person who can help? Or how else I can get the information I need to reconnect?

Frizbe Thu 13-Jan-05 18:25:04

We had probs with Virgin, so much so that I got really eff'd off with them and their none answering/buggering up of our accounts, that we left. Sorry did have a tel no, but binned it along with the rest of their info, as rubbish. They may do good flights, but certainly not netusage.

hester Thu 13-Jan-05 18:33:41

Oh dear , my hopes are fading!

nasa Thu 13-Jan-05 18:38:00

why don't you set up a web email address like a hotmail or yahoo one - just so you can get use it to get the phone number.

nasa Thu 13-Jan-05 18:38:41

oh bugger, just realised that you've tried using your work email. Hmmm, I'll think some more

nasa Thu 13-Jan-05 18:41:21

try this number - they are the press office. It's a joke that you can't get through to a real person - phone them an insist they give you a contact number

Jonathan Watson
Marketing Communications Manager
Tel: 020 7664 6216

hester Thu 13-Jan-05 18:44:42

Oh nasa, that's brilliant. I'll ring poor Jonathan tomorrow - he won't know what's hit him

tribpot Thu 13-Jan-05 19:03:11

Can you not access your Virgin mail over the internet? (By which I mean as webmail viewed in Internet Explorer or similar, rather than downloaded to Outlook or other email client). Presuming you can connect to the internet through another ISP you should be able to read your Virgin mail that way (provided you can remember the username and - more tricky - password).

I'm having a look round on the Virgin.net site now to see if I can find out any more about webmail access ... will let you know if I find a link!

tribpot Thu 13-Jan-05 19:06:14

Could this be any use to you?

hester Thu 13-Jan-05 19:07:27

Oh please tribpot, I've thought about that but have no idea how to do it... or if it can be done.

Are we detecting a bit of a hester-is-completely-useless-with-IT-and-should-be-sent-back-to-the-19th-century theme here?

Thanks so much to you and nasa for your help.

tribpot Thu 13-Jan-05 19:37:43

If you know your email address and password, you should be all set with the link in my last post. (Actually there seems to be a link for dealing with forgotten passwords as well - I'm assuming you do know your email address!)

Basically, when someone sends you an email, it goes to the ISP's email server and resides there until you download it to your machine. Webmail just gives you a way of accessing the email server directly, i.e. without downloading.

Let me know if you are still baffled, and not to worry. I know about IT but I know nothing about children (other than being 16 weeks pregnant!) and so that is why I have come to Mumsnet. And I must say, found a fantastic amount of brilliant information as a result.

hester Fri 14-Jan-05 14:03:01

tribpot, you are an absolute marvel. I used your link and managed to get through and read all my old emails - nearly 200 of them! So relieved to be able to do this.

This doesn't let Jonathan Watson off the hook, though. I've still got to sort out my connection, so will be plaguing him till that's done! (Rang earlier - answerphone - he'll not get rid of me that easily

Thank you both so much for your help; I feel so relieved. And tribpot, best of luck for your pregnancy.

tribpot Fri 14-Jan-05 14:14:54

Great - glad you were able to get to your emails hester! I definitely agree about giving Jonathan a hard time, there's no reason for Virgin to make it so hard to contact their technical support, grr.

Best of luck!

charlie01 Fri 14-Jan-05 14:32:39

Have you got broadband or dialup? If you go here and enter your email address they give you your support number.

Or you can get the settings here

charlie01 Fri 14-Jan-05 14:32:40

Have you got broadband or dialup? If you go here and enter your email address they give you your support number.

Or you can get the settings here

hester Fri 14-Jan-05 18:13:34

Ooh ooh Charlie, that's JUST what I wanted! Thank you so much!

Am I really stupid? Or are you three just really brilliant? Either way, I'm HUGELY grateful...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: