Talk

Advanced search

tumble dryer question

(17 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 15:00:32

my tumble dryer is going full whack at the moment, used every day, 2 loads.

it has started to form a puddle of water underneath every time i use it, and it now takes twice as long to dry a load.

has it died? should i just bite the bullet and get another?

moondog Thu 13-Jan-05 15:03:44

Crikey!!
No useful advice but you're obviously doing too much housework!
Relaaaaaaaaxx...

moondog Thu 13-Jan-05 15:03:44

Crikey!!
No useful advice but you're obviously doing too much housework!
Relaaaaaaaaxx...

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 15:04:46

you are obviously keyboard happy, moondog! relax!

i just seem to have a lot of washing

eefs Thu 13-Jan-05 15:51:14

is it vented of condenser np?
can you see where exactly the water is coming from?

wordsmith Thu 13-Jan-05 15:52:15

My advice is to get 'a little man' in to check it for you.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 15:52:43

vented - its one of the tiny ones with the hose to put out the window. im too scared to move it to see where the water is coming from! there is a funny mouldy smell too in the kitchen..

wordsmith Thu 13-Jan-05 15:58:05

Sounds like the pump to me. I'm no expert but have just been through tumble dryer hell myself. Like I said, get a 'little man' in - unless you know about electronics I wouldn't touch it myself.

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 15:59:14

but i dont know if its worth paying for someone to fix it or just buy another. it was only about £90 and ive had it 2 yrs. how much would it be to fix?

eefs Fri 14-Jan-05 09:28:48

sorry np, meant to come back to this. 2 yrs and already broken - that's terrible.
could be the pump(expensive to fix - labour costs will add up), could be a tear in the hose at the connection (cheap to fix). There's water sitting in it somwhere hence the smell.
Hang on I'll see if I can look if up. What's the make and model

(disclaimer: I am not a tumble dryer expert )

nailpolish Fri 14-Jan-05 09:36:06

its a white knight - cheapest of the cheap

LOL at disclaimer!

dh has said he can cough up the £100 it will be to replace it (thats how much this same one is in the shops)

he got £100 comet vouchers from his dad for xmas for new computer bits and bobs, hes so kind giving them to the tumble dryer cause but i feel bad

i checked the hose cos that would seem the most obvious but it looks ok (pity - that would have been easy enough)

LIZS Fri 14-Jan-05 10:15:26

Could it be condensation - is the position it is in particularly cold now or is there too much water for that to be possible. Our White Knight is in the garage of our house (currently rented out) and the hose has taken a battering but as far as we know it is otherwise ok and it is 6 years old. Is it worth phonign them to check if it is likely to be something simple such as a blocked filter or more serious. tbh I'd tend to go down the replacement route if likely to be the latter.

eefs Fri 14-Jan-05 10:15:53

whiteknight are usually pretty good. still trying to get info

Snugs Fri 14-Jan-05 11:17:43

I would get advice from a repair guy first - most of them will do a free quotation (or at least they do where I live), so whats the harm in getting an expert opinion before buying a new machine.

My White Knight machine is 7 years old, used every day and still going strong.

nailpolish Fri 14-Jan-05 11:34:53

hmmm, might get a man out first, as everyone elses seems to be lasting for ages, compared to my 2 yrs. i have the no. of a nice man, might call him.

there is a huge pool of water, halfway across the kitchen floor, dont think its condensation then

thanks everyone,

nailpolish Mon 31-Jan-05 14:54:19

really boring, but im excited so thought i would share with you all that my new tumble dryer arrived this morning

HunkerMunker Mon 31-Jan-05 14:54:52

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: