Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garlic soap? How on earth does this work!!!!

(9 Posts)
colditzmum Thu 13-Jan-05 09:40:19

I saw one in a shop recently, and my dp assures me they really do work, but it looks like some sort of minimalist ornament - made of stainless steel, how can it possibly work? I am so curious about this!

Angeliz Thu 13-Jan-05 09:42:25

Oh it does work.
I made pickled onions last year and couldn't sleep for days as i STUNK of onions!
My BIL from Canada brought me the stainless steel soap this year and i made them no problem, it just seems to wipe away odours.
Don't know how!!

colditzmum Thu 13-Jan-05 09:53:14

Anyone else know how? I am intregued, and may now buy one.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Jan-05 09:56:28

You don't need to buy on - a stainless steel spoon will do the same trick. A knife works too but seems rather dangerous to me!

One theory is "How It Works

It makes sense to me that the sulfur from the onion/garlic would be attracted to and bind with one or more of the metals in stainless steel. Formation of such compounds is what makes stainless steel stainless, after all. Onions and garlic contain amino acid sulfoxides, which form propanethiol-S-Oxide (R-S(O)H), which reacts to produce sulfuric acid upon exposure to water. These compounds are responsible for burning your eyes while cutting onions and also for their characteristic scent. If the sulfur compounds bind to the steel, then the odor is removed from your fingers. It's possible that normal carbon steel would be even better at odor removal than stainless steel. However, steel doesn't work to remove high concentrations of sulfur compounds."

nailpolish Thu 13-Jan-05 09:57:08

sounds great - and would never wear out!

colditzmum Thu 13-Jan-05 10:02:53

SD, is this why putting a teaspoon in your mouth stops you from crying whilst peeling onions? Or is that a psychological thing?

SoupDragon Thu 13-Jan-05 10:08:11

No idea - never thought of it but it makes sense. It might be psychological but I guess the steel might absorb some of the stinging stuff. Perhaps it would work better if you put the handle in your mouth leaving the big bowl bit to catch the stingy stuff

mum2twins Thu 13-Jan-05 10:09:57

I remember from the programme how clean is your house that 'kim & aggie' said rub your hands over your s/s tap in the kitchen. I have done this and it does work.

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 13-Jan-05 10:46:06

QVC sell a similar thing called Zilo. It's a small metal disc that sits in a case with some water in. There supposed to break down the odours molecular structure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now