Talk

Advanced search

Urgent Can some one help me with this?

(34 Posts)
louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 18:57:01

My dh has owned a car for a few yrs but it turns out he never registered it in his name and the car is from Northern Ireland...He bought it from a car salesman over here.
Since the rules changed and you need an owners doc to get a tax disc he has had to keep the car in a garage because he can't get a tax disc.

As Iam his whipping boy for most things and get blamed for everything that goes wrong with his life he has now decided it is my fault and I should have sorted it out ages ago.
After all I just sit on my ass all day whilst he works.
The problem is I have no idea who to call what to say or How on earth to go about getting an owners document. Dh says the car can go in my name as I think he suspects the owner might be in trouble for not regesting it earlier.

He has coldly imformed me that my car is being sold and my new car is this one in the garage with no tax so unless I sort it out I won't have a car.
Can anyone please help me??

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 18:58:41

Is there not a form you can fill in at the post office?

alexsmum Wed 12-Jan-05 18:58:48

well, rather than sorting out the tax for the car i think i would be contacting a solicitor for legal advice prior to leaving my husband.is he always such a shit? (sorry to be blunt)

Tinker Wed 12-Jan-05 19:01:21

Contact DVLA? Suspect you may have to pay a fine though. Write to them with all the details that you have. You coudl try to ring but it is a nightmare getting through. And tell your husband not to be so rude to you

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 19:01:24

This might be the one you need.

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:01:46

Please Please Mums of mumsnet I really need someone with more brains than me to help me Know how to get this document.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 19:03:51

we've made some suggestions

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:05:25

Sorry posts crossed you all replied before my second post. I have contacted the Dvla here and they can do nothing because it is from northern ireland.
Yes Alwexamum he is a very controlling man and because he is having some problems with his own family at the moment Iam paying for it. The truth is he has no idea how to sort this so he is passing the buck to me.

crystaltips Wed 12-Jan-05 19:08:45

Go and find a speed camera .... get caught ... and then I am SURE the old owner will track YOU down

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:09:27

He has told me if I don't sort it Iam getting nothing from him ever again. Like housekeeping or holidays. To be honest i feel so depressed i feel no panic at this as iam virtually a recluse at the moment any way. I just would like to sort it so he cant keep holding it over me till he finds somethig else of course.

pinkroses Wed 12-Jan-05 19:10:50

If he has no clue.......how are you meant to sort it. Also, why is he selling your car and giving you one you cannot drive as it's illegal.

How has he managed to tax it in the past???

Not meaning to be rude, but my dh can talk to me rather bad at times, but I would never allow him to treat me the way your dh has treated you. He is way out of order!!!

crystaltips Wed 12-Jan-05 19:11:31

ooooh louise sorry about my flippant post - I didn't realise that he was being so "horrid" about it.

I am in Northern Ireland and I wan't sure that our rules were different to yours ..... I'll do a bit of digging for you .... cant promise much as my first port of call was going to be the DVLA

scaltygirl Wed 12-Jan-05 19:11:58

Message withdrawn

blossom2 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:14:01

Here is the website for the DVLNI:
http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/aboutus.htm

Caligula Wed 12-Jan-05 19:14:38

Louise, it sounds to me that you are panicking about this car in order to avoid panicking about what a bloody horrible husband you've got.

Sorry, I can't offer you any advice about the DVLA, I think that's the least of your problems.

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:17:31

Crystaltips don't worry about your post I think the dvla in northern ireland might be what I need actually If you could get an adress or phone number that would be great.
Pinkroses I agree with you he really shouldn't talk to me that way but he honestly thinks that Iam the one whos a problem he can't see that he does anything wrong in talking to me that way . After all in his eyes He is the master who earns the money and Iam the servant who he will pay if I correctly do what he tells me to.
He actually said to me that he has the right to speak to me any way he wants cos I haven't sorted this out yet.
he thinks He has to put up with me.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 19:17:51

The car should have come with a certificate of permanent export from NI or been re-regisered in the UK by the previous owner/car salesman. From website: "If you are taking your vehicle permanently out of Northern Ireland, you need to send your Registration Book to VLCO along with a letter indicating your intention to export the vehicle. On receipt of your application VLCO will issue you with a Certificate of Permanent Export V561(NI). You may be required to surrender this by the foreign authority, when the vehicle is registered abroad."

When you spoke to them, did you give the DVLA the reg number to check if it has been registered in the UK?

Phoning the DVLANI is probably your next step as Scaltygirl says.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 19:18:58

Scaltygirl gave the phone number BTW.

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:18:58

Thanks so much girls I will give them a call and look on their web site!

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:21:47

Yes Soupy they checked and it hasn't been registed here. Because this is all dh's mess i have no idea about any documents he got when he bought it. So really was the salesman being a bit naughty not reging it over here before he sold it.

kalex Wed 12-Jan-05 19:26:12

L74, sorry to ask this, but was it bought 100% legit. Just worried that you have a stolen car sitting in your garage and your H is suddenly making it your problem.

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:28:07

Yes I think it was defo legit because he car selesman was his fathers best friend he defo wouldn't sell him a dodgy car.

kalex Wed 12-Jan-05 19:28:59

Well then go to Father to go to Best Friend and get them to sort it out!!!

louise1974 Wed 12-Jan-05 19:35:06

Tried that. They say it is dh's fault because he should have reged the car yrs ago when he bought it.

pinkdiamond Wed 12-Jan-05 19:40:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now