Talk

Advanced search

Any one else's dh somewhere hot and sandy ????

(36 Posts)
jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:29:49

just wondered if anyone else is dealing with seperation from dh ?

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 21:31:59

Did so for 31/2 years-dh in a variety of places. Vvv hard. How are you coping?

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 21:32:06

Only for tonight - DH is sitting on a jetty waiting for a ship to dock, wishing he was somewhere hot and sandy!

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:33:50

Not very well to be honest keep crying, not sleeping waking up from nightmares, phantom doorbells ringing in the night.

Don't really know how to explain to a 2 yr old why daddy isn't coming home at night.

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 21:36:10

I don't think you can tbh.
How long is/will he be away for at a time?

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 21:36:38

Sorry, I've just caught on, didn't mean to flippant.

Hugs to you and blessings counted for my DH not being there too.

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:37:49

We are at he start of 6 month tour. He might be home for two weeks depending on the situation so not really sure yet.Makes it difficult to plan things.

JanH Tue 11-Jan-05 21:37:51

Iraq?

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:39:47

Yes my dh is in iraq

JanH Tue 11-Jan-05 21:43:36

Well sincere sympathy for you and 2-yr-old, jrsmum, and hope he keeps safe and comes home and the time goes quickly for you. XXX

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:44:30

Thanks Jan can't wait for it all to be over and have him home again.

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 21:44:37

do you get much support from the other army wives or the army in general when the boys get posted? I always imagine a bunch of women helping and supporting each other but I assume from your post I am wrong.

My DH works nights (which is by no means a comparison to your situation) but I know the phantom doorbell ringer!

Hulababy Tue 11-Jan-05 21:45:31

(((hugs))) jrsmum.

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:48:01

No-one really talks about it and the regiment does what it can, but theres not a lot they can do when you wake at 2am in a cold sweat.

I do have a good group of friends but we all brave face it and no-one wants to say how they feel or we would all fall to bits.

jrsmum Tue 11-Jan-05 21:51:19

KBear hope you dh is home soon and doesn't catch a chill on that jetty !!!!!

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 21:53:23

Poor you, I wish I could give you the answer. I can't imagine what you are facing but we are all thinking of you and praying for the troops out there. An old boyfriend of mine just came back at Christmas (secretly keeping tabs on his Regiment - sssh).

Perhaps in a few weeks you will get more used to the house noises and stop being so jumpy. Try leaving the radio on low beside you and you won't wake to silence, I used to do that all the time when DH started nights.

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 21:54:30

At the moment I am hoping he has a safety line and doesn't get blown away!

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 21:56:00

Yes, the radio is very comforting.
I used to quite enjoy the occasional 'all girls' night or w/end (before ds arrived) Would have a friend or my sister over and we would have a jolly time and talk about the sort of girly issues that make dh run for cover when he's about!

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 21:57:28

What does your dh do KB? Sounds very dramatic and manly!

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 22:01:14

He will love it when I tell him he is manly when he gets home in the morning. The reality is he offloads fuel from tanker ships then blends it or something....lost interest there....sorry.

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 22:03:33

Hahahah!!
Is he all muscly, and does he return home glistening with sweat?
(Steady Moondog!!
Hey jrsmum, if you can cope with a lightening of tone, men in uniform and all that-!

KBear Tue 11-Jan-05 22:06:57

Oh don't start that business.

Do you think all women have the uniform fetish or just some of us?

I'm not fussy, military, firefighters, but I draw the line at security guards (hoping not to offend any but it's not quite the same). My afore-mentioned boyfriend was in a Scottish regiment... need I go on?????

I'll never sleep now....

moondog Tue 11-Jan-05 23:09:00

Phwoaaar!!! I know it's pathetic but it really does the trick (just as well being here in eastern Turkey, where you can't move for soldiers. Still, cheers me up as even though I'm now with him,dh works incredibly long hours.)
Know exactly what you mean about security guards.
It really isn't a good look.None of those fake military types are are they (carpark attendants,traffic wardens and the like)?

Seriously though, know how hard it must be to be away from him. Especially when you have children.
You need to drum up some support. Are you working? If not, and the child/children are little why not go on as little tour of your own (visiting friends and family?)

KBear Wed 12-Jan-05 14:03:11

how are you feeling today jrsmum? Hope you didn't have too bad a night.

Do you get to speak to your DH via phone or can he e-mail you?

jrsmum Wed 12-Jan-05 19:12:22

Spoke to dh this moring he's fine just wants to come home as well. Just so you know moondog I know of about 500 women up here who all have a uniform fetish, and even seeing it everyday I'm still not sick of it, however only when my dh is wearing it. Nothing beats his no 1 uniform (navy Blues) he wore it the day we got married and he has never looked so gorgeous as he did then!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now