Talk

Advanced search

opk now my prob is competeitive ds1

(5 Posts)
lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 18:11:25

he is 6 but young for his shcool year
at party on sunday he was the only one aprt form the b'dy boy who cried whn he was out in a game fgs.

and today he howle like a banshee when his pal nd ds2 socred a pentaly at subbutteo
How can i make him relax and not mind losing?

roisin Tue 11-Jan-05 18:18:49

Losing is hard though, isn't it? (Ds1 beat me at junior scrabble the other day, and I wasn't "letting him", and I was really cross about it for days afterwards!)

I think talking and talking and talking about it does help, as well as playing lots of games where there are winners and losers. Quite often these days they don't have opportunities to 'lose' until they are 6 or 7, as until then everything is non-competitive; so when they do come across it there's a very steep learning curve.

Blossomhill Tue 11-Jan-05 18:20:44

Think it's an age thing to be honest. They were all the same at a Bowling party we went to recently. Looking at the scores like a hawk, I'm 1st, I'm 2nd, you're losing ...... nightmare!!!!
Had to explain it's not the winning but taking part that counts (corny or what!)

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 18:22:17

yes I know he is very logiacl in all other ways
I find it his most una ttractive trait tbh
I never try and "let him win" as it has bnevre been sucha sn issue
he is quite emotional bout hings I think

Blossomhill Tue 11-Jan-05 18:23:57

Same with my ds (7 on Saturday) it's such a hard lesson to learn though isn't it.
Don't get me started on the reading book levels. Ds's class are obsessed with whose on what. Thankfully ds is on the highest but they all know whose on what and whose on the top table etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: