Talk

Advanced search

givingkids sandwiches for tea....

(34 Posts)
FineFigureFio Tue 11-Jan-05 16:36:40

is it okay?

I have been doing this as they both have a cooked dinner at lunchtime at school and nursery. But I have just thought maybe I should be giving them a cooked dinner

opinions please

misdee Tue 11-Jan-05 16:39:11

i'd give them sandwhiches at tea time if i felt they had a large enough dinner.

nutcracker Tue 11-Jan-05 16:40:21

When mine were on dinners they either got soup and bread or something on toast like egg, beans, spaghetti etc.

nutcracker Tue 11-Jan-05 16:40:43

For tea when they got home i mean.

Blackduck Tue 11-Jan-05 16:41:10

As long as lunch was/is substantial enough...

KateandtheGirls Tue 11-Jan-05 16:41:42

I don't see a problem with this at all.

Fimbo Tue 11-Jan-05 16:41:53

My dd has a hot dinner at school on Fridays as she has dancing which begins round about tea-time. I give her sandwiches for her tea before she goes - she loves having a "picnic" tea every week!! It certainly does her no harm and I always give her some fruit as well.

AuntyQuated Tue 11-Jan-05 16:43:39

i find that school dinners aren't adequate enough to be counted as main meal of the day. fresh veg are a rarity and even what they call fresh veg i would say it has little nutritional value as it has been boiled to bits then kept warm for bloody ages.

iota Tue 11-Jan-05 16:43:45

I always give mine a cooked dinner as they used to sometimes not eat the lunch at nursery. Now ds1 is at school he has to take packed lunch, so I still cook dinner at night for them - whether they eat it is a different story

fairyfly Tue 11-Jan-05 16:44:28

depends what you put in the sandwiches

PlainFlum Tue 11-Jan-05 16:45:32

Do picky picky dinners. They were mine and my brothers favourites. Chunks of: Cheese, apples, nuts, grapes, sultanas, carrots etc all in a bowl.

We had them in front of the telly. Maybe thats what made it so good.

FineFigureFio Tue 11-Jan-05 16:48:26

they eat cherry tomatoes, cucumc=ber with them and today they have asked for some chips with them ()

then they eat a satsuma each and either half an apple or a banana
and a yogurt
washed down with a glass of milk

I am having paranoid moments just lately

fairyfly Tue 11-Jan-05 16:51:30

i think its fine, i do a few grapes, a lump of cheese, some seeds, yoghurt, carrot sticks, hoummus and a sandwich, it is really balanced, hot food isn't as good as raw veg anyway

Tommy Tue 11-Jan-05 16:56:22

DS1 had what Fairyfly's has twice a day for a whole year.... he survived. I think you're right - the cold snacky bits often seem more healthy thatn the "hot" waffles etc he likes for lunch!

starlover Tue 11-Jan-05 16:57:06

sounds absolutely fine to me! as long as they get a balanced, nutritious diet then it makes no difference whether it's hot or cold!

roisin Tue 11-Jan-05 17:06:44

Mine always have sandwiches for tea, (or sometimes breakfast cereal) with bits on the side: tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, pickled onions, etc. They also have fruit and yoghurt for tea every day as well.

A 'cooked tea' is not necessarily more nutritious simply because it is warm.

AuntyQuated Tue 11-Jan-05 17:14:35

so do you all have sandwiches too?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 11-Jan-05 17:15:06

I think it's fine.

SPARKLER1 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:18:05

Yep - I'd give them sandwiches. How wonderful for you. I wish my teatimes were so easy. Don't you just hate trying to decide what cooked food to give them everyday?

fairyfly Tue 11-Jan-05 17:19:45

i dont have sandwiches too no, i have rice cakes. I also do cook , not always though, just when in the right mood

ThomCat Tue 11-Jan-05 17:20:53

Yes Sparker I do!

Lottie won't eat sandwiuches. Will eat a dry crusty roll or bit of french bread or a bit of toast and marmite but never eaten a sandwich. Have even made those pinwheel sarnies with every filling you can dream of but they all got thrown back at me.

lou33 Tue 11-Jan-05 17:27:09

no problems at all with doing it here.

iota Tue 11-Jan-05 17:39:05

didn't mean to sound sanctimonious re cooked tea - tonight's cooked tea will consist of Alphabites, hot dogs, cucumber and carrots - hardly Anabel Karmel is it?

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:39:51

no ds2 wont do sarnies eiterh
do eggy bread when really cant be arsed

lowcalCOD Tue 11-Jan-05 17:40:02

no ds3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now