Talk

Advanced search

International Movers

(13 Posts)
Hausfrau Mon 10-Jan-05 09:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

suedonim Mon 10-Jan-05 10:39:47

We sent a shipment (not an entire houseful of stuff) from the UK to Indonesia and back again. We used Craig & Rose out and Pickfords back. There were no problems at all, they dealt with all the formalities, which are very considerable in Indonesia - I imagine Germany would be pretty straightforward. All well known firms are very experienced in international moves - Pickfords even gave us a story book for dd about moving abroad. Hth.

hunny Mon 10-Jan-05 10:55:25

Hi Hausfrau

We moved to Germany a year ago. We used a local German firm who were typically German efficient (although having lived here for a year I think that's a bit of an urban myth). They turned up on time, proceeded to pack everything around us, including carrying out the tumble dryer full of wet clothes, slept in the lorry overnight and then off they went. We arrived the next day just as they finished unloading into our new home and they'd even made our bed for us!

I think you should talk to a couple of experienced firms in each country and see which feels right for you. They don't have to be massive companies, maybe just experienced in moving Europe-wide. I doubt there'll be massive surcharges to pick up stuff from your parents', it's a small distance in the great scheme of things. Certainly it was one of the least stressful aspects of moving for us, because they were so professional. I'm not sure this is any help whatsoever!!!

blossom2 Mon 10-Jan-05 11:20:35

we moved in Paris in October 2004 and used a company called Sterling International. THey were really really expensive but Dh's company were paying. They sorted everything out for us and were really flexible. the movers were great chaps as well and typically wanted cups of tea every 30 minutes!!!

we moved into an apartment which is on the 7th floor and they organised the external lift etc. they were good.

Dannie Mon 10-Jan-05 11:44:29

With my international moves I've found costs can vary enormously, so it's really worth getting three or four quotes. This also enables you to discuss the art of the possible with several different companies, which can be helpful.

LIZS Mon 10-Jan-05 11:50:16

We used Allied Pickfords to ship our stuff from UK. Not cheap, but they had a team to pack one end, then one of that team drove the lorry over and there was a local team to unload/unpack.

hth

blossom2 Mon 10-Jan-05 11:57:05

agree with dannie ... get at least 3 quotes. our quotes ranged from £3,000 to nearly £6,000.

annh Mon 10-Jan-05 12:36:21

We have moved internationally several times, including from Germany to UK. For that move, we used a German company called Rettenmeier (not sure of the spelling any longer) and they were the best movers we ever had - very efficient, fast, and incredibly strong! They were based around Frankfurt but I think had an international affiliate so probably had other offices around Germany also.

We also used Pickfords for a move from UK to Amsterdam and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again! They packed very badly, mixed things from different roms, mis-labelled boxes and when our stuff came out of storage 5 months later, an entire pallet was missing, including parts of our bed and wardrobe. It was tracked down in the UK after some acrimonious phone calls between the two offices and turned up a couple of days later but they sent it with a different company who were on their way somewhere else and refused to help carry anything upstairs etc

Hopefully finished with the international moves now but would tend to use local companies from here on.

Earlybird Mon 10-Jan-05 14:15:15

Like blossom2, I used Sterling International and was completely happy with them - nothing lost or broken. They packed and unpacked too - even changed the plugs on my lamps. But also like blossom2, found that they were scary expensive, which didn't matter much to me at the time as my company paid. Doubt I'd use them though if it was me writing the cheque!

blossom2 Mon 10-Jan-05 14:18:52

actually earlybird, it was on your recommendation when i posted a thread ages ago, so thank you

they did break a picture frame, but only took their insurance 2 weeks from sumbitting the form to the money being in our account.

Earlybird Mon 10-Jan-05 14:29:45

blossom2 - I knew I had suggested them once before, but had forgotten it was to you! Glad to know that it worked out well, and hope you're enjoying Paris!

Isn't it fun that we can "chat" to each other all over the world.....slight digression, but that still amazes/delights me!

Hausfrau Mon 10-Jan-05 15:05:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blossom2 Mon 10-Jan-05 15:35:03

my thread was called "Relocation company", under the 'other subjects' (so not good enough to post the link to the thread!!). do a search archived messages and you should find it.

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now