Talk

Advanced search

Help needed for 40th birthday presents! Please

(13 Posts)
Cruella Sun 09-Jan-05 19:57:46

I have 4 40th birthdays looming, 2 best friends and 2 SIL's. I would welcome any suggestions. Their circumstances vary from single career woman with high disposable income to SIL going to high court for (messy) divorce decision the month she is 40! I really want to mark this celebration but can't think of anything!
Many thanks in advance

Beetroot Sun 09-Jan-05 19:59:32

Message withdrawn

warmmum Sun 09-Jan-05 20:14:27

A girlfriend (platonic) gave me a really fab. pair of knickers from M&S for xmas which I love. Your know, the pretty pink ones with light green lace and little roses, perfect for cheering one up.

How about a Spa day or some really fab. pampering stuff. The high income gal. might not go for it if she already spends lots of her lolly on that already - but you never know!

KatieinSpain Mon 10-Jan-05 07:55:07

For my Mum's 60th, one friend sent her a small photo album of all their special moments. Among her presents were vouchers for pedicures, a print she wanted for ages, music, good chocolate, good wine i.e. all her favourite goodies.
Her favourite memory from then was the surprise dinner party. So, how about doing special things with your friends/SILs and buying the tickets or arranging it?

Cruella Mon 10-Jan-05 08:41:19

Thank you to you all - I hate to sound so unispirational, but it's tough as three are in the nxt 2 months and I've only just got over the stress of Christmas presents! The Dower Hall Jewellry looks fab - Love the pieces with "love, joy, happiness" engraved on them.

bluesky Mon 10-Jan-05 09:15:18

cruella, try www.silver.uk.com for some really lovely jewellery, it comes in lovely boxes, all prices, I buy lots from them.

calcium Mon 10-Jan-05 19:42:12

I am 40 this year and am being taken away for a night by my best friend, what a wonderful present, away from dh and dd's! perhaps a night of sleep??? obiviously this could be costly but this friend has 3 children and has given me the most fab presents in the past such as;
- a massage where a therapist comes to your house
- a pedicure at a top London salon
- a box full of loads of wrapped goodies (these need not be expensive but isn't the fun in opening the presents?)
- a voucher towards a Rigby and Peller bra (every women should own one good fitting bra)
- an evening at the Santuary in Covent Garden
- getting up in the middle of the night with me when I am staying with her and my baby won't stop crying!

quite honestly just spending an evening with her at her house where she looks after me and cooks me dinner is plenty but you know what the best present is just having a friend like her who thinks of doing all these things.(smile)

calcium Mon 10-Jan-05 19:44:27

ooh can I add I would NEVER buy anyone jewlery how ever well I knew them, it will never be right! trust me even if it comes from Tiffany's!!

calcium Mon 10-Jan-05 19:44:43

I am 40 this year and am being taken away for a night by my best friend, what a wonderful present, away from dh and dd's! perhaps a night of sleep??? obiviously this could be costly but this friend has 3 children and has given me the most fab presents in the past such as;
- a massage where a therapist comes to your house
- a pedicure at a top London salon
- a box full of loads of wrapped goodies (these need not be expensive but isn't the fun in opening the presents?)
- a voucher towards a Rigby and Peller bra (every women should own one good fitting bra)
- an evening at the Santuary in Covent Garden
- getting up in the middle of the night with me when I am staying with her and my baby won't stop crying!

quite honestly just spending an evening with her at her house where she looks after me and cooks me dinner is plenty but you know what the best present is just having a friend like her who thinks of doing all these things.(smile)

warmmum Mon 10-Jan-05 19:44:58

What a fab friend. Trully wonderful . You must be worth it!!

Beetroot Tue 11-Jan-05 17:01:25

Message withdrawn

sunchowder Tue 11-Jan-05 17:03:45

Good one Beety!

Tommy Tue 11-Jan-05 17:16:04

I am going to a 40th party on Saturday. One friend is organising it for another friend IYSWIM. The organiser friend has arranged for everyone to give some money so we can give the birthday girl a voucher from a suitable shop so she can go shopping for herself and buy some new clothes or whatever she wants. She's abit skint as we all are and spends money on her children so we thought it would be good for her! Also, since we're all chipping in, it's not as expensive as some of these other ideas (which all sound great BTW!!!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: