Talk

Advanced search

bloody neighbours dog what should i do?

(21 Posts)
nikcola Sun 09-Jan-05 13:17:20

new neighbours have moved in below us (we live in a flat btw) they moved in about 2 months ago and they have a do, a bull dog and they keep leaving it in the hallway where the stairs are to get to our flat and allthough the dog is harmless enough dd is scared of it i no they might say it would never bite anyone but it only takes that once i never trust dogs with children.

what shall i do i cant talk to my neighbours about it cause my other neighbour allready has and he said he wouldnt let the dog out again but he has

I dont want to be a grass or cause an argumnet cause me and dd are on our own and ther neighbours with the dog are 2 men dad and his son so i dont want to upset anyone what shall i do its got to the point where dd is scared to go to go out the door because of the dog

suzywong Sun 09-Jan-05 13:19:33

appeal to the father, he may have some sympathy

Is he working or at home during the day?

perhaps you could get his number and call him when you want to go out and ask him to take the dog inside

sorry to hear about it, it sounds a real drag

nikcola Sun 09-Jan-05 13:26:27

the father is worse they are irish (nothing against irish people) he is very loud and scarry

Freckle Sun 09-Jan-05 13:29:53

Does it say anything in your tenancy agreement about pets? Chances are that their agreement is identical to yours. So if yours says no pets, theirs will too. You could then speak to the landlord.

I know you said you don't want to be a grass, but, if they have already ignored requests to keep the dog out of the hallway, I don't think you have much option.

nutcracker Sun 09-Jan-05 13:50:33

Erm don't you live in a council flat Nik ????

It would surprise me if they are actually allowed to have the dog there in the first place.

I would try and speak to them, but if they don't do anything about it then report it too the coucil.
My dd would be petrified if she had to walk past a dog everytime we came home.

nikcola Sun 09-Jan-05 13:52:23

yeh im council but they are private, i will try and soeak to them agin my mom said to call the dog warden but i dont want to do that

charleypops Sun 09-Jan-05 14:02:00

Poor you - this is so rude and ingnorant of the guy. Could you go and introduce yourself in a friendly manner and politely ask if he could keep the dog out of the hallway. I'm sure your landlord wouln't be happy about this situation, there's got to be health and safety implications.

I feel sorry for the dog too, sounds really neglected - how long is it left in the hallway? Does it have a bowl of water? Are you sure it's a bulldog - they are really rare - the short squat ones that snuffle when they breathe (like the one in the Tom and Jerry cartoons)? I'm mad about dogs and if it was friendly and easy to walk I would probably take it for walks and make a bed for it ... He sounds like the sort of person that would otherwise leave it shut in the bathroom for hours on end.

What a horrid situation! Maybe give the RSPCA a ring for advice too - their number is 0870 5555999

nikcola Sun 09-Jan-05 14:19:38

yeh im sure its a bulldog we had one when i was little i left it somewater outside , but im just worried it moght go for dd

the dog is left outside for hours on its own even when he oes to the pub he leaves the dog outside

charleypops Sun 09-Jan-05 20:27:50

As it happens I'm seeing an old friend tomorrow who is an RSPCA animal welfare officer. I'll ask her for her advice and get back to you in the evening.

nikcola Mon 10-Jan-05 14:43:33

ok thank you xxxxxxxxxx

biglips Mon 10-Jan-05 14:46:25

you can borrow my bow and arrow if you like? (as i do archery) ha ha ha ha

nikcola Mon 10-Jan-05 14:47:30

moondog Mon 10-Jan-05 14:47:41

I would be very worried.
Don't listen to people who say Staffies are lovrely. One nearly killed my collie. It was terrible. i was on my own with dd in a pram and the dog just ran up and tossed her about like a rag doll. She would have died had not my screams alerted a gang of blokes in a nearby pub who ran out and very bravely prised the thing's jaws apart.

Even now it upsets me-get horrible flashbacks and think-what if it had been my baby???

biglips Mon 10-Jan-05 14:56:36

moondog - my mum got a american staff - he looks like an english staff but bigger - and he is brillant and adores kids but he does not mixed with other dogs esp german shepherds. little dogs like yorkies or a mini poodle, he completely blanked them out.

once he met another staff and their eyes locked into each other and was growling.. if you get 2 staffs from same family they will get on, and also mum bought a bitch staff and mum had to get rid of it cos she was bullying my mums first staff as he was terrified of her.... i wouldnt worry about your baba as staffs protects families as they are very loyal dogs. i would have one but ive only got a yard and i will be back at work full time in couple of months so not fair with dogs. i would recommend them to anyone

biglips Mon 10-Jan-05 14:57:45

sorry - i just realised you havent got a staff - doh!! youve got a collie - hope your collie was ok

moondog Mon 10-Jan-05 14:59:41

Yes,people told me that (even the vet that stitched up my dog) but after seeing the ferocity of the attack and how quickly they lock in to their prey, I could never trust them again with anyone. If I see one, my heart starts beating very fast and we have to make a detour.

moondog Mon 10-Jan-05 15:01:46

And no-dog hasn't been the same since. Now a nervous wreck.

charleypops Mon 10-Jan-05 17:06:26

HI Nikcola

Asked my friend about this and she said the RSPCA are unlikely to do anything about this as it's a "nuisance" rather than a cruelty thing. She said you could call the dog warden at the council. They would go round and speak to the owner.

She also said you (or someone you know) could take it to an animal shelter or dogs home and say it was found wandering the streets. Apparently they are quite sought after and there is a good chance it would be rehomed quickly. Just tell the owner it escaped when someone opened the front door, or deny all knowledge. I guess you'd have to get it to a centre quite a long way away otherwise there's a chance the owner would find it and bring it back.

I would have a look on the internet for a Bulldog Rescue - there's bound to be a few in the UK - and tell them what you've told us. I'm sure someone there would help out one way or another.

It's so lovely of you to put water out for it

Good luck! Please let us know how you get on x

charleypops Mon 10-Jan-05 17:08:44

Moondog - how horrible! My lab has not been the same since being attacked by a staffie when he was a little less than a year old

starlover Mon 10-Jan-05 17:21:13

You could try popping a note through their door and ask that they keep the dog inside.
Failing that I would report it to the council... even if their flat is privately owned the hallway is shared and therefore not theirs to leave a dog in!

FatFluckerFio Mon 10-Jan-05 17:26:01

moondog our old next door neighbours had an english bull terrier and it mauled the cockel spaniel who used to live underneath our flat. the owner of the english bul paid for all the cocker spaniels vet fee's but thought it was hilarious that the woman underneath us felt she had to move out because she couldnt trust their dog when she let her dog out in her own private courtyard not saying all bull terriers are the same btw, but my grandad used to have staffies and he said he even didnt trust them to a point, but thiscan be said of all dogs

Nickola, please just have a word with your neighbour. he most probably doesnt realise how scared your dd is. Sometimes when you keep dogs yourself you do forget that not everyone isnt scared of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now