Talk

Advanced search

I hate txting-sorry!

(3 Posts)
jollymum Sat 08-Jan-05 21:55:41

I may be old and grumpy and am a complete text virgin. I know how to text but don't really see the need for it. I have kids that go on MSN, use mobile phones all the time but think that IMO mumsnetters should use real "words" if possible. I have a friend that's a teacher and she moans about "texting" text in the kid's essays FGS! Maybe it's like wine or trees, you can tell a MN age from her text/no text speak. We have just let the DD go on MSN- her first sentence {and make no mistake, I'm guilty of abbreviations, text speak as well} was...
"Hi, 'dis is me, hw r u?, I g8"
What's scary is she was rading over my shoulder and saw me type in "WTF" and "FFS"She told me off for swearing!
How does she know what that means?!{blush]

TinyGang Sun 09-Jan-05 21:26:11

Agree with you Jollymum. I don't enjoy texting even though I do use it.

Spelling and grammar were drilled into us at school (a thousand years ago it's true) and although I do use all those abbreviations, they do make me wince. You have to use them when texting though because there is such a limited amount of space. If I'd dared to use anything like it at school I can think of at least one English teacher who would have burst several blood vessels, before going on to burst several more of mine!

I suppose language is always evolving though - by the time mine are old enough to do all that I won't have the faintest idea what they are saying. Just how children like it to be between them and their parents I suspect!

tillykins Sun 09-Jan-05 21:31:18

I hate it too, but when I am sending a text I don't have this problem cos the phone guesses at the word and it doesn't guess textspeak. But sometimes when I receive one, I can't figure out what on earth its all about

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: