Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oxfam dont want any more clothes...where do I send them now?

(8 Posts)
jampots Fri 07-Jan-05 10:37:40

Took my huge and very heavy bags to Oxfam yesterday filled with clothes (new and used) and unwanted/unneeded xmas gifts and other assorted items only to be told "we dont want clothes". So anyone have any idea where I could send them so that they will benefit the Tsunami relief operation - i thought I read somewhere they were desperate for clothes

moondog Fri 07-Jan-05 10:39:12

A woman from Oxfam was on BBC World the other night, explaining that it is too expensive to ship textiles that far.
i give a lot of our old stuff to the Salvation Army who usually have clothes banks in supermarket and DIY carparks.

Pamina3 Fri 07-Jan-05 10:40:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marina Fri 07-Jan-05 10:42:07

Pamina, we are due a clear-out of children's clothes and maybe also some adult ones. Logistics of getting them to you need some thought, but would like to help.

JanH Fri 07-Jan-05 10:42:09

What about Rosie's homes in South Africa instead - for AIDS orphans etc? She needs clothes and toys (not soft ones though) for all ages from 0 through to about 16.

I will try to find one of her threads again for you, jampots.

I posted a big cardboard box (similar size to a 12 bottle case of wine) and it cost about a tenner.

(I know they need clothes in SE Asia but the cost of handling and shipping from here outweighs the benefits; they can be bought v cheaply out there and it provides work locally.)

jampots Fri 07-Jan-05 10:42:48

pamina - im in solihull in the west midlands - the bags are seriously heavy though even after oxfam took the gifts element

jampots Fri 07-Jan-05 10:44:02

gosh - i forgot about Rosie's south african trip with all this going on - sorry . Admittedly most the clothes are mine and/or dh's with some kiddie stuff

JanH Fri 07-Jan-05 10:47:54

Rosie's threads for anybody else who has children's clothes they want to hand on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now