Talk

Advanced search

Where would you love to live and why?

(96 Posts)
anteater Thu 06-Jan-05 16:17:37

I often dream of a small holding somewhere along the coast between LA and San Fransisco, just a few hundred acres or so. Great light, culture, space, skiing within driving distance, a few nags, dryer climate..

Second choice would be New Zealand, never been but looks perfect for family life.

...with todays weather, anywhere would do..!

lunavix Thu 06-Jan-05 16:19:08

Ireland

Oh for the accent...

Nutcracker Thu 06-Jan-05 16:20:20

I'm with Lunavix, would love to live in ireland, just for the accent

Marina Thu 06-Jan-05 16:20:30

Corsica. I love that place so much. A nice village house near Calvi would do me.

Fimbo Thu 06-Jan-05 16:21:19

I am originally from Scotland and currently (because of DH's job) live in Norfolk. I would love to move back to Glasgow where we lived for a few months about 6 years ago - it is such a fantastic place, with lovely friendly people and there is so much to do.

<<wistful sighs>>

FatFluckerFio Thu 06-Jan-05 16:23:08

my husband would say Wales! But I am quite happy where we are. i think its more to do with the people you are with and being happy, rather than the place itsel;f

Gwenick Thu 06-Jan-05 16:24:16

Zimbabwe - have plans to go back one day (in distant future) and set up a Guest House near Victoria Falls.

jofeb04 Thu 06-Jan-05 16:24:47

Living in wales, i can only say wales, i spose, the ppl are great, accents are great, lol

But i am byest

Nikkichik Thu 06-Jan-05 16:25:24

Dh would love to live on the Isles of Scilly (just off Cornwall) - have been there twice (on honeymoon and on our only holiday so far with dd (nearly 3! - how sad are we?) It's just beautiful and the pace of life is so much more relaxed, crime free and hardly any cars!. OK it's quite isolated and at the mercy of the weather and I'd probably miss the shops on the mainland, but there's always the internet!

pootlepod Thu 06-Jan-05 16:27:46

Copenhagen. Ace for cycling around, weather like UK, outdoor life, historical places, abroad but not too far from friends and family. Did find a job there, but discovered I was pregnant 2 days later...

In my parallel life though....

jampots Thu 06-Jan-05 16:29:17

Would love to live in the countryside around Dublin - close enough for culture and far enough away to escape from things. Love the Irish - so friendly and down to earth and really helpful, plus of course as lunavix says, brilliant accent

Moomina Thu 06-Jan-05 16:29:49

Italy. I've travalled quite a lot and this is still my favourite place on earth. Four years ago I had the best holiday ever - 5 of us hired a villa in Le Marche region and just had the most fabulous time. Great food, great wine, breathtaking scenery, the culture, the language, the weather! Everything. Just love it.

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 06-Jan-05 16:37:46

UK :

West Cornwall (between St Ives and St Just - glorious!)

Fowey (Cornwall)

Tresco (Isles of Scilly)

Peak District

Abroad:

Capri, Key West or Vancouver

lou33 Thu 06-Jan-05 16:38:58

thailand

Merlin Thu 06-Jan-05 16:48:13

Vancouver but without the rain ..... worse than the UK sometimes!

anteater Thu 06-Jan-05 16:52:08

If it had to be a city I would choose Rome or Melbourne.
My Brother spends a few months each year with his boat around the Scilly Isles, he loves it, but the Winters can be Wild!

fostermum Thu 06-Jan-05 17:52:03

i would go back to new zealand oh for the big open spaces!

MancMum Thu 06-Jan-05 18:05:59

barcelona...

ZoeBristol Thu 06-Jan-05 18:11:05

Back home !! near my mum but Copenhagen sounds great

TwoIfBySea Thu 06-Jan-05 19:04:04

If I had to stay in the UK then I would love to move to certain areas within Edinburgh and to some of the towns along the east coast leading down to Dunbar, North Berwick. Those areas or Perthshire, the north Fife coast.

Abroad I would like to stay in Europe rather than too far away although NZ sounds appealling especially since my uncle went there 30 years ago and never came back! He has a fantastic life he couldn't have had if he had stayed here (shipbuilding trade.)

I love the Netherlands, southern Germany, Denmark, Norway, some parts of France. Gosh, I am all over the place aren't I!

Gwenick Thu 06-Jan-05 19:08:56

If I had to stay in the UK I'd probably choose Edinburgh too - had the best 5yrs of my school life up there

vict17 Thu 06-Jan-05 19:11:27

I love Wales too. Went on honeymoon to Verona and loved it there - seemed a very relaxing way of life, everything shuts after lunch, although the traffic was manic!

Mirage Thu 06-Jan-05 21:53:53

The village I was bought up in.It is fab,& I still think of it as 'home',even though we left 8 years ago.If we went back,dd could have a pony,dh could have a dog& I could have my chickens,& be Barbara from 'The Good Life'.

nailpolish Thu 06-Jan-05 21:57:15

twoifbysea - i live in Fife!

middle of bloody nowhere. i am actually a city girl, only realised this when i left edinburgh.

we are in the process of applying for our residency in Australia, Perth to be precise. I am desperate to move there, get all tearyeyed just thinking about it.

lowcalCOD Thu 06-Jan-05 21:58:16

god the scilly isles is the end of the earth IMo
we went to tresco couldnt wait to get home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now