Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Posh Clothes Advice Needed please!!

(29 Posts)
serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 22:51:31

DH is taking me to see The Nutcracker at the South Bank Center on Saturday as part of my christmas present (very pleasant surprise indeed!)

I have never been to anything like this before, and I have no idea what to wear. I'm presuming it's not going to be anything ridiculous like black tie/long dress (which is not in my wardrobe } but not dress down to jeans etc?

Is it smart/casual? What is smart/casual?

Help - I'm really looking forward to the night out, we do it so rarely and normally nothing like this, I want it to be special......

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:53:33

is this at a theatre serentiy? Probably just means not jeans?

CountessDingDongDrac Mon 03-Jan-05 22:53:42

Well I go to loads at the NT and the RFH and don't dress up at all. Often go straight from work so am in suit, otherwise I just wear what I'm wearing unless we are going for posh dinner too. Some people do dress up, so I would just go in whatever you are comfy in but as it's a rare night out for you I would glam up a bit!

Have a great time!

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:53:48

meant serenity

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 22:54:42

Nice black trousers?

pixiefish Mon 03-Jan-05 22:54:52

If you want to go black tie then do- there will be some people there wearing just that.
Alternatively I think that smart would be more appropriate- anything nice that you have, skirt, strappy shoes. suit for dh.
or if you feel more comfortable going smart/casual then do. the main thing is tht you enjoy yourself- but I do find that dressing up adds to the occasion and makes it more special

Twiglett Mon 03-Jan-05 22:55:10

Wear what you like to the ballet dahling .. and have fun

I wore jeans to the opera .. there really are no standards anymore are there?

Linnet Mon 03-Jan-05 22:56:50

Black trousers and a nice top/blouse/shirt?

At my work we have to wear smart casual and most of the women wear trousers and a top/shirt.

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 22:57:09

oh sorry i thought it said you had to wear smart casual. Yes wear what you like hun.

Nutcracker Mon 03-Jan-05 22:59:45

I went to see the Nutcracker when hugely pregnant with Ds and i just wore comfy black trousers and the only top that i could still fit in to.

People did have jeans on though.

Twiglett Mon 03-Jan-05 23:00:47

Truly Posh people dress like farmhands anyway

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 23:01:48

Not at the ballet though?

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:03:50

MIL gave me and DH £50 each in M&S vouchers and DH gave me his (I promised to buy some normal stuff to replace my unsexy maternity bras) so I think I'll hace to go and trawl through M&S tomorrow.

The thing is I really don't go out, so I don't have any 'nice' going out stuff. I have got some very flattering black trousers that look good with heels but I've kind of done them to death over christmas. I suppose if I get a new skimpy top and a decent bra it might work

I need to feel like me again IYSWIM.

Tickets don't really say anything which is why I'm having a flap, but in an enjoyable I'm-going-out kind of way. I feel all girly

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 23:05:56

Easy then - flattering black trousers, heels, and whatever nice top you fancy (even if you have seen it before the South Bank Centre hasn't.)

pixiefish Mon 03-Jan-05 23:08:35

Go to town on yourself. Going out should be really special. Get your hair done if you fancy it, put on the slap and get out and enjoy yourself. Are you having a meal beforehand?

SueW Mon 03-Jan-05 23:12:39

I took 7yo DD to see it in Nottingham just before Christmas. I wore what I'd normally wear to work - skirt and top and jacket but we were late night shopping too so I had to drag lots of shopping bags in which I didn't feel so comfortable about.

Even though it was an evening performance, there were a fair number of 5yo girls in 'Nutcracker Barbie' outfits - dressing-up outfits with princess dresses and tiaras, etc!! Adult dress varied from jeans to dressed-up e.g. smarter than smart casual but not eveningwear.

Have a great time.

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:12:57

Just ask DH about meal.........

The show's quite early, 7.15, so we're not. He said he'd buy me a kebab afterwards........

Right, trousers, heels and shopping expedition to croydon tomorrow then.

Thanks ladies, appreciated the advice

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:14:34

Do you think I could get a Barbie dress to fit me?

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 23:19:40

I bet you could on ebay

Can't wait to hear how it went. Agree with getting a nice top and wearing trews if you want to, you'll still feel comfy then.

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 23:20:19

or the barbie dress of course, I may have a tiara somewhere I could send you?

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:24:00

DH is not overly enthusiastic on the 'Barbie' look

Quite like the idea of a tiara though..

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 23:26:41

It's only fake rocks though but no one will notice

what's dh wearing then or is he a typical man and not worrying?

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:28:30

He will wear what he is told to wear.

Yes, typical man.

No offence intended to any men of course.

juniperdewdrop Mon 03-Jan-05 23:30:15

sounds just like my dh think men like to be domineered at times tbh

serenity Mon 03-Jan-05 23:30:31

OH crap, DH has just read over my shoulder and is now rebelling.

He is now going to wear a jockstrap and a tutu.

<<sigh>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now