Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

white spot in goldfish. Can anyone recommend a treatment

(10 Posts)
maddiemo Mon 03-Jan-05 16:39:19

Dh bought two new fish for our tank. I have been away for a few days and have come home and discovered that one of the new fish has bought white spot with it despite being quarantined prior to purchase.

Does anyone know a fast acting treatment? Is the survival rate good? The original fish with it seems quite depressed.

WideWebWitch Mon 03-Jan-05 16:45:54

7 of our fish (tetras and mollies) have just died of this, we think because dp cleaned the filter with tap water. He won't do that again. 2 survivors not looking dead yet but it won't surprise me. Dp added a treatment to the water yesterday but it may have been too late for them. More info here

NewbarnsleygirlWalliams Mon 03-Jan-05 16:57:21

There are some solutions you can get for white spot. Our fish have had it loads and were ok.

maddiemo Mon 03-Jan-05 16:59:51

Thanks www. Doesn't sound too good.
Sorry about the fish.

maddiemo Mon 03-Jan-05 17:03:47

nbgw That sounds a bit more optimistic. I am quite attached to our fish and have given them little personalities

NewbarnsleygirlWalliams Mon 03-Jan-05 17:26:37

We've had ours 4 years. Well I say ours, we gave them to friends because the tank was huge and we moved in to a smaller house. We have one that was attacked by the others, they pecked it's eyes out and most of it's fins so it's definatley blind and we just bought a separation net that you use for breeding and it's fine!

WideWebWitch Mon 03-Jan-05 17:33:21

Maddiemo, thanks! I was a bit sad about it, we felt responsible (hell, we were responsible!) and there were babies who died too - we only noticed their existence when it was too late. The 2 tetras are still alive though so maybe the treatment did the trick. I'm sure you can get it in any pet shop, sorry if my first post was v pesimistic! NBWG, those are vicious fish! Poor blind one.

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 17:38:18

my mum used to add a bit of salt to the water when we were kids, it used to work as the one goldfish lived til it was 11 (or so she said ) I had to laugh as my dh's auntie asked me if i was sure my 6 yr old rabbit was the same one, as if dh had been replacing it when it diedn and i hadnt noticed!

maddiemo Mon 03-Jan-05 18:33:58

Thanks for messages.

nbgw. Pecked out fish eyes

Hope the others survive www.

Fio2 Have read about adding salt. We only have Lo-Salt at home and I don't think thats the same thing.

maddiemo Wed 05-Jan-05 19:26:25

Been treating the fish with protozin.

Does not look too good. Have moved the sickest fish into a bowl.

The whitespot seems to have changed my largest fantail into a dreadful bully, he has been nibbling on the fins of the telescopic moor who has taken to hiding under the castle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now