Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of an old piano?

(35 Posts)
cupcakes Mon 03-Jan-05 14:15:37

We bought an old upright piano earlier in the year for a pittance - we naively thought it just needed to be tuned but the piano tuner has given us an estimate of £200 to repair it as it is in quite bad shape.
We have decided to look for another piano but will need to get rid of this. I don't think anyone will take it off us for the same reasons but the thought of taking it to the dump is really depressing...
Any ideas?

Yorkiegirl Mon 03-Jan-05 14:17:15

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Mon 03-Jan-05 14:17:25

Is it really in such poor condition? I would love a piano and £200 doesn't sound so much to have it repaired when you think what a new one would cost.

Lonelymum Mon 03-Jan-05 14:21:27

What make is it? A lovely old piano seems infinitely preferable to a modern one IMO.

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 14:22:56

I'll fight you for it Lonelymum

Lonelymum Mon 03-Jan-05 14:23:45

Where are you Cupcakes and SantaFio2?

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 14:25:05

I'm in kent, where are you lonely mum?

soapbox Mon 03-Jan-05 14:27:09

SantaFio - no need to fight! I've got an old paino I'm looking to get rid of - I'm in Chislehurst in Kent (near Bromley). Yours if you can collect it

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 14:27:18

cupcakes, did the tuner say anything about the way it was built? They are supposed to be "overstrung and underdampered" according to my guru, otherwise they can't be properly tuned - or won't stay in tune - or something (I also bought a "bargain" piano once! )

If it is a proper one, ask him how much it would be worth if you had the work done. If the case and keys are in good nick it might be worth doing.

Lonelymum Mon 03-Jan-05 14:27:54

West Sussex. Since Cupcakes seems to be otherwise engaged, may I use this thread to ask you what Kent is like? Dh has recently started a job in Ashford and commutes every day but I can't see how he can do that for long so we may make a decision to move. We were impressed by the school results in Tonbridge, and I have stayed in Canterbury a couple of times about 20 years ago, but otherwise don't know what to think of living in Kent. Any opinions?

cupcakes Mon 03-Jan-05 14:28:46

We live in Diss, South Norfolk. It is a dark brown wood. There is some damage to the veneer on top.
At the moment it is a useful place for framed photos and fun for the children to play on but that's about it!

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 14:28:48

oh wow soapbox! I will ring round see how much delivery/removal will be. i suppose it is heavy

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 14:30:11

pianos.co.uk (wouldn't you know there'd be a site called that?) FAQs.

cupcakes Mon 03-Jan-05 14:31:28

JanH - several of the frames inside needed work on. Several of the strings had to be completely replaced (apparently the strings vary in cost depending on what notes they are for) and some of the keys don't work at all (but this may be because of the strings being broken). Sorry I can't recall the diagnosis better!

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 14:31:48

Lonelymum I only moved here in April but i really like it. My daughter goes to school in canterbury and i do just love Canterbury it is a lovely place. i live on the coast near whitstable. We are about 30 miles from ashford. Ashford is quite reasonable house price wise as is alot of the areas surrounding Cantterbury but Canterbury itself is expensive, as is Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Sevenoaks.

Dont really know what else to say. schools here are good but i am a midlander so feel like i am on a permenant holiday atm

cupcakes Mon 03-Jan-05 14:33:25

Thanks JanH - that looks like a really useful website.

Lonelymum Mon 03-Jan-05 14:39:22

Thanks SantaFio2 for that. Ashford looks horrid but I imagine affording anywhere nice would be impossible. Only thinking through possibilities at the mo. Sorry to hijack this thread. Just want to say, would love a piano if anyone near West Sussex is looking to get rid of one.

soapbox Mon 03-Jan-05 14:46:55

Fio - I think it needs a fair bit of work on it but it was a nice piano when I first got it about 10years ago - was newly reconditioned then but is now hopelessly out of tune - or maybe its just my playing

kangasantamummy Mon 03-Jan-05 14:48:43

my brother in law is in kent and restores pianos and tunes them if that is any help to anyone

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 14:50:13

They really need to be tuned at least once a year (not that ours is), and after being moved - though I bet you haven't done that a lot, soapbox! - it always makes me laugh when I see a piano advertised for sale with "recently tuned" as a selling point. (Like a TV with "good picture" - er, it depends on your aerial!)

soapbox Mon 03-Jan-05 14:57:26

Janh - that'll be it - in the 10years I've had the piano it has moved house 7 times and has never been retuned!

JanH Mon 03-Jan-05 14:58:50

You're JOKING! Aren't you? I was!

If you're not it's definitely time it was done, poor thing.

kangasantamummy Mon 03-Jan-05 14:59:51

brother-in-law does travel all over london though and surrounding areas

what about donationg old piano to school?

soapbox Mon 03-Jan-05 15:05:18

No not joking!

Just working it out to check again! Oh only 6 - miscounted!

1994 Chesterfield to Wimbledon
1995 Wimbledon to Storage
1995 Storage to Docklands
1998 Docklands to Blakcheath
2000 Blakcheath to Blackheath
2001 Blackheath to Chislehurst

SantaFio2 Mon 03-Jan-05 15:21:24

Chesterfield to Wimbledon is a BIG move soapbox with the poor old piano

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now