Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DO YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING PHYSICAL TO HELP SE ASIA

(20 Posts)
Twiglett Sun 02-Jan-05 11:40:51

I know we've all been struck dumb by the news, and I'm sure most people have donated what money they can afford

However it is still leaving a lot of us feeling powerless so we wanted to do something physical to help

We were thinking that we could do a series of events up and down the country to raise some extra funds

As big or small as you like

We have settled on a coffee morning / cake sale
(if you wish you could add an unwanted presents or kids clothes elements)

You can have it in your home, or contact your school or local community centre or place of worship

We were thinking it would be good to have the event during January (maybe early february) and together we could work out the basics

This is the thread to find out who would like to do something in their area

So far we have

Twiglett - East Dulwich
jnbsmum - Rotherham (what area?)
Gobbledigook - Sale
Oiseau - Balham
Peckarollover - Newcastle-Upon-Tyne (what area?)
Ailsa - Worcestershire (what area?)

Please add your name and area (if you want to help in an area already specified then maybe you could cat the individual)

Remember 2 things

It could have been you or someone you loved

If you want to be involved in something physical and you don't start the ball rolling, then who will??

kkgirl Sun 02-Jan-05 16:54:51

I would like to be involved - Bristol

dietingdottee Sun 02-Jan-05 17:42:17

I'm already in the process of setting up a coffee morning/jumble sale with my dd's teacher. We run a parent/carer group at school and we'll either do it in our 'parents room' or in the hall.

Jnbsmum - the school is at Kimberworth, Rotherham.

It would be great to co-ordinate with other schools/groups etc. and track each others progress.

Feel free to CAT me if anyone's interested.

dietingdottee Sun 02-Jan-05 18:31:39

bump

juniperdewdrop Sun 02-Jan-05 18:36:28

Excellent idea, I'm going to get my Church involved and do something. Maybe even the pre school?

meea Sun 02-Jan-05 18:53:41

Dietingdottee and Jnbsmum I'm in Sheffield and would like to help .Let me know if I can help.

Ailsa Sun 02-Jan-05 20:42:28

Twiglett, I'm in Worcester.

emmatmg Sun 02-Jan-05 20:45:26

DS1+ 2 are back at school and nursery next week. I'll be shocked (and angry) if nothing is organised at both places.

I'll get involved as much as I can with whatever they do there.

BubblesDeVere Sun 02-Jan-05 21:00:24

DD1 is back at school on Tuesday, I'll try and get in and see the headmistress then.

I'm in West Yorkshire.

pixiefish Sun 02-Jan-05 23:23:06

my dh is auctioning a Pentium III computer on Ebay and all proceeds are to go to the appeal. have asked mn if i can post a link to it on mn (he's also a business so need to check it out before i do anything on here)

MadameButterfly Sun 02-Jan-05 23:44:15

Count me in too please.

I live in Aldridge (west Midlands) I will ask at DD's playgroup next week as we are on holiday at my mums at the moment

huggybear Sun 02-Jan-05 23:44:51

im in birmingham and would love to help

dietingdottee Mon 03-Jan-05 10:56:22

Hi Meea

Happy New Year to you all. Sorry I haen't e-mailed for a while.

The school is just off J34 M1 and it's a special school but I think all will be welcome as it's a good opportunity to reach out to the community.

Once we get a date sorted (should know something by tomorrow), we'll start collecting jumble. Hallam FM radio were asking for money and clothing donations so maybe we can involve them too?

I'll keep everyone updated via this thread (and will e-mail you with dates etc.)

dietingdottee Mon 03-Jan-05 10:57:47

p.s. I'm sure when everyone goes back to school, we'll find all sorts going on. Keep posting!

pixiefish Mon 03-Jan-05 19:41:37

here's the thread I started linking to the auction all the money raised will go to the appeal

dietingdottee Wed 05-Jan-05 11:12:54

That's brilliant Pixiefish - have had a look but we're skint! BTW my dp used to live on Anglesey many moons ago.

I think our jumble sale is going to be a week on Thursday. We're waiting for OK from new Head but I think it's 100% on. Now collecting up loads of stuff - easy to do when you imagine the images on TV.

jnbsmum Wed 05-Jan-05 17:10:19

dottee i'm still here but ive moved house so my nets down. I'll cat you properly in the next day or so. Glad things are going ahead. Mumsnet team got back to me and are happy to help. Will get online soon and sort things out

Hulababy Wed 05-Jan-05 20:50:32

dottee - I may have some girl's clothes, and maybe some soft toys, baby/toddler books you can have for your jumble sale if you like.

dietingdottee Thu 06-Jan-05 16:57:29

Thanks Hula and jnbsmum.

The jumble sale is next Thursday 13th at 2pm and Kelford School, Oakdale Road, Kimberworth, Rotherham. We're doing tea and coffee and cakes etc., and a raffle.

If it's too far, or not convenient to come to school, I can drive round and collect stuff on Wednesday. To save MN having hassle of redirecting CATs to me. my e-mail is deejay@crewtwo.com

Thanks very much for any potential support.

Hulababy Fri 07-Jan-05 10:48:31

Hi dottee. Sadly I work on Thursday so can't make it.

I could get stuff ready to find a convenient place to drop off between now and then though. I have some toddler's clothes, some little books, and maybe some other bits. Will have a sort through later.

I work on Tuesday and Wednesday in Doncaster, and drive home via M18 and M1. I live right in the very centre of Sheffield. I don't work on Monday at all, so I am around then for dropping stuff of to you if easier, or even maybe on Sunday.

Can't remeber where you live exactly now, so not sure what is easiest. Happy to meet you half way or wherever really; just happy to be able to help to be honest.

I'll e-mail you this actually as maybe easier and quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now