Talk

Advanced search

Isofix car seats...anyone got any experience of one

(14 Posts)
Lolski Sat 01-Jan-05 22:09:47

Just about to upgrade to my DS's next car seat. Am thinking about getting an Isofix one. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about them.
TFYH.

DelGirl Sat 01-Jan-05 22:11:03

theres another thread about this, started yesterday i think, check products

Yorkiegirl Sat 01-Jan-05 22:16:38

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 22:18:54

I have one - the Britax Romer Duo. IMO (and that of DH's) they are worth every penny. What info do you want to know?

Lolski Sat 01-Jan-05 22:24:54

Just had a look at yesterdays thread. Thanks for that.
The only one that I can seem to find is the Britax Duo Isofix.
Hulababy - mainly wondered if they were easy to fit as we would be swapping it from one car to another quite frequently. Or are they better left in the one car once fitted.

Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 22:41:01

They are really easy to swap between cars.

Are both cars compatible?

The Isofix system takes seconds to fit and take out - literally. Much quicker than a seat belt, and virtually impossible to not fit properly (unlike with a seat belt).

However, you can also fit the Isofix seat with a seat belt, in the same way as a normal car seat. Takes same length of time as normal.

The Isofix makes no difference as to whether you can remove it or not. It isn't intended to be a permanent fixture.

Hulababy Sat 01-Jan-05 22:42:47

The Britax Romer Duo is the only 9m-4y Isofix car seat that is compatiable with more than one make of car, and it is the only one you can buy in the shops. You can get ones from car show rooms, made for a given car, but they all appear to be made by Britax anyway.

The Duo (or now Duo Plus) is £180 in Mothercare, However, if you shop around a bit and look at independent baby stores you will be able to get it cheaper. We paid £150 for ours.

Lolski Sun 02-Jan-05 07:43:16

Both our cars are compatible so we are on a mission today to try and buy one. Thanks for your help.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 09:36:41

Good luck, hope you get a bargain. They are definitely worth the extra money though.

TracyK Sun 02-Jan-05 09:40:39

I was looking at the britax due also - can get it for £150 from kiddicare - p&p free.
But then I saw the Jane Indy Plus(pronounced Hane) www.jane.es and it looks a better option for us.
Only £99 and lasts till they are 36kg - much loner than the Britax one. Plus it does look as if it reclines better than the Britax one - my ds still sleeps a lot in the car.
The only prob/diff I can see is that it doesn't have the 5 point harness thingy - just uses the seat belt. But it has a different configuration so that it looks just as safe (plus I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in uk if it wasn't as safe)
And imo it looks a bit sportier than Britax.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 10:01:26

That looks really good as the stage after the Duo. TBH, and I know this is personal choice, I wouldn't want DD in a booster style chair without a 5 point harness, until she was a bit older. I know the site says they are fine, but most UK sites don't recommend non 5 point harrnesses until a bit older. Just my thoughts thought.

I am howver looking into this for DD's new car seat. She is 2y 8m and in the new couple of months we are getting a second car and because of logistics of taking/collecting from nursery it would be easier for us to have two car seats. This answers many of our issues with one.

Where did you get it from? And is it compatible with several cars?

TracyK Sun 02-Jan-05 10:14:01

It looks as if you can only get it from two left feet - if you search on the web - it's just them that come up as the stockists. Although they do internet orders and free P&P (but I live close to them so can try it out in my car first).
It looks as if the Jane Isofix has the same compatability as the Britax one - it has the same list on their web site - have a look for your specific one. www.twoleftfeet.co.uk

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 10:18:20

Cheers Tracy. I have found it - at Two Left Feet and also Lullabys. £99.95 I think. Going to ask independent baby store we know too and ask him if he can get it. He got us the Britax Duo - and for a bit cheaper

Thanks again.

Hulababy Mon 24-Jan-05 09:34:53

TracyK - I have now bought this car seat and picked it up yesterday. Got it from an independent baby shop - some one DH's grandad knows - for just £85, so saved £15

It's excellent. Love it! So thank you for your recommendation.

Does say suitable from 9 months, but I would not want to put a little one in so soon. DD is 2y 9m though and it suits here fantastically.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: