Talk

Advanced search

are you or do you know of somone whohas become a driving instructor?

(14 Posts)
Tortington Thu 30-Dec-04 19:04:08

my job is a big pile of poo and soo have been researching being a driviong instructor - the money seems ok but the test itself cost from 2 - 3K

now thats a shit load of money but i will get a loan and go through with it just to get out of my rubbish situation - i do enjoy driving btw.

have any of the mumsnet wise got any experience or comments to help me form a more rounded opinion before i go to see someone at BSM a week on monday?

thanks tres muchio

tigermoth Fri 31-Dec-04 08:33:52

hi custardo. A friend's husband trained to be a driving instructor about 5 years ago. He was unemployed at the time and once he passed the tests, he became a full time instructor - still is one, so he must be making a living - and he has a nice car He had to pass various tests - advanced driving test, theory and teaching. One of the tests was hard, he said, and there was a high-ish failure rate. I don't know if you have to pay to take the tests each time, If so, any failure could up the costs. I cannot remember which was the hard test. I'll try and ask my friend's dh for more info.

I am really sorry to hear your job is S**t and making you so fed up with it.

whimsy Fri 31-Dec-04 08:39:00

Not got any advice, but my sister is currently training to be a driving instructor with BSM, she has done various tests and should be finished soon. I will quiz her later about it

Tortington Sun 02-Jan-05 01:45:22

thank you so much for finding out more info for me

sallystrawberry Sun 02-Jan-05 01:49:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Sun 02-Jan-05 01:58:54

sussex. thanks sally

Tortington Mon 03-Jan-05 19:47:23

bump for me

JulieF Mon 03-Jan-05 20:34:16

A couple of friends of mine are doing/have done this. They are husband and wife and he recently gave up his job in Saudi. I think she has passed (2nd time) and he has failed. I get the impression it is hard to pass the tests but they seem to think its worth persevering with.

Tommy Mon 03-Jan-05 20:37:48

A friend of mine did it. He's very successful now and very busy. He took early retirement from being a headteacher of a primary school so obviously he knows about teaching - I think that would have to be important as well as just liking driving

emmatmg Mon 03-Jan-05 20:49:05

My BIL is training at the moment. Sis is a mumsnetter so I'll sent her a link and ask her to get him to post what he's done/doing/to do.

Cam Tue 04-Jan-05 09:20:43

Custy, I know of a couple who are driving instructors - he manages a franchise of a driving school (but still has to instruct full-time) and she has recently qualified as an instructor. What I will say is that an enormous amount of their work is at weekends and evenings, given that most people who learn to drive are either at school, college or work. Their children are a few years younger than yours, and the couple are often seeking family/friends to look after their children. This aspect will probably be easier for you given the ages of your children and that your dh won't be doing the same thing!

LunarSea Tue 04-Jan-05 12:22:55

A friend of ours did this, but works independently. From what I remember when he was doing the training/setting up the big driving schools (BSM/AA etc) actually rake off quite a bit of the lesson fees if you work for them and you have to get your car through them, etc but there's no guarantee about how much work they will actually put your way.

Tortington Wed 05-Jan-05 03:02:35

thanks everyone keep the info coming xxxxxxxxx

emmatmg Wed 05-Jan-05 06:14:26

Did email Sis/BIL for info......nothing here yet.

Will harrass them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now