Talk

Advanced search

quick funeral have you heard of it?

(22 Posts)
KangaSantaMummy Thu 30-Dec-04 18:00:42

DH cousin died on tuesday in Ireland we only found out yesterday and phoned up the church to find out details and the funeral was today

It is the Irish Catholic church just outside dublin.

she was very old but we are just surprized by the speed of it especially over christmas/new year.

DH has not seen her for years and we found out from another cousin in canada. she did not have any close family.

DH was thinking that he would go over for the funeral next week so is a bit shocked that it has happened.

HAs anyone else heard of one being within 2 days? It was a burial btw.

Clayhead Thu 30-Dec-04 18:10:29

Yes, dh's grandad died in Catholic Mediterranean country last week & funeral was next day. dh could't get there

jampots Thu 30-Dec-04 18:12:50

i think in Ireland they do tend to get it over and done with pretty quickly as a general thing - sorry to hear your bad news

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 30-Dec-04 18:13:33

Seems a bit insensitive towards relatives who live in other countries and would like to attend the funeral like your dh. But maybe, the priest didn't have much on and could do a quick funeral or aybe she knew she was dying and was able to make arrangements?

noddyholder Thu 30-Dec-04 18:14:10

that is fairly normal in Ireland I think

AMerryScot Thu 30-Dec-04 18:24:35

American Catholics have very fast funerals. MIL died on a Saturday and her funeral was on the following Wednesday (we learnt of the arrangements late on the Saturday night), and DH had to be present for two days of visitation beforehand. It was a frantic search for flights Sunday morning.

I thought this was really fast, but BIL said it was pretty normal for them. In our CofE church, funerals tend to take place about 10 - 14 days after the death.

coppertop Thu 30-Dec-04 18:27:10

That sounds normal for Ireland. My dad died on a Tuesday and was buried on the Thursday.

Sorry to hear about dh's cousin.

KangaSantaMummy Thu 30-Dec-04 18:36:37

thanks guys I guess it is not that unusual then

thanks for kind thoughts to DH

coppertop Thu 30-Dec-04 18:46:45

We didn't realise it would be so quick either. We had to set off for Ireland less than 12 hours after hearing about the actual death. My American and Australian relatives had no time to get there so missed it.

annh Thu 30-Dec-04 18:49:52

Yes, sounds perfectly normal in Ireland. If a person dies before midnight their body is normally taken to church on the following evening with the funeral the next day, so with my dad he died on Tues a.m. and was buried on Thurs. Funerals can also take place at weekends and over holidays like Christmas.

suedonim Thu 30-Dec-04 21:10:56

Three days is not uncommon in Scotland. It can be delayed, of course, if the family wishes.

jampots Thu 30-Dec-04 21:38:27

whenever my old granny was seriously poorly in hospital my dad would dash over to see her probably expecting to be attending a pretty quick funeral but always she got better. Apart from hte last time when he didn't literally run out the door and she died about half an hour before he got to her.

SantaGoesToTheGym Thu 30-Dec-04 21:49:58

Caligulights back me up on this one...

It is standard, and, I have to say in the main, very healthy, for the want of a better word. When the funeral is over the grieveing can commence.

KateandtheElves Thu 30-Dec-04 21:57:30

Ameriscot's right. In my Irish American (Catholic) family they have funerals within a few days of death.

scaltygirl Thu 30-Dec-04 22:02:54

Message withdrawn

pixiefish Thu 30-Dec-04 23:12:00

Some religions bury on the same day

marzipan Thu 30-Dec-04 23:17:49

Kanga - sorry for your bereavement - in Ireland what normally happens is the death is announced as very soon as possible and burial the next day - doesn't leave much time for goodbyes but that is what happens here - don't beat yourself up

marzipan Thu 30-Dec-04 23:19:40

Reading back - it is always within 2 days unless some v close relative has to come home

marzipan Thu 30-Dec-04 23:20:36

Reading back - it is always within 2 days unless some v close relative has to come home

marzipan Thu 30-Dec-04 23:20:59

annh - except Good Friday I think!

marzipan Thu 30-Dec-04 23:22:11

annh - except Good Friday I think!

KangaSantaMummy Fri 31-Dec-04 02:06:31

DH spoke to the priest earlier on this evening and he said that is the way we do it here

wanted to get it done before the new year

We knew that other religions did it quickly but we were expecting it to be mon or tues next week

We are C OF E so it is a bit longer IME

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now