Talk

Advanced search

HELP! DS1 HAS DRAWN PERMANENT MARKER ON CARPET!!!

(12 Posts)
minkmama Thu 30-Dec-04 12:46:12

and it's black marker...don't have a clue when he did it and the carpet's a celadon colour so it really stands out WHAT TO DO????

winterwarmmummer Thu 30-Dec-04 13:00:20

That is extraordinary - dh has just found dd1 doing just the same in our bedroom. I am soooooooo . BLOODY HELL.

Mum2girls Thu 30-Dec-04 13:11:38

See if you can contact the makers of the pens...or maybe go to their website see if they can offer any advice.

jampots Thu 30-Dec-04 13:12:23

misdee's child has drawn in perm marker on her coffee table. what is it with the perm markers... no advice to offer though and am sorry you are all suffering

jampots Thu 30-Dec-04 13:12:45

no no no no....not misdee's, but discoinferno - see the other thread.

Twiglett Thu 30-Dec-04 13:19:15

just found this

1. Permanent Marker Stain Removal from Carpet
To remove permanent marker from carpet, first thoroughly vacuum the area to remove any loose dirt or dust from the stain. Try using either rubbing alcohol or a non-oily hairspray as your stain removing agent. Apply a small amount at a time and blot with a clean white cloth between applications.

Unfortunately, it is not called "permanent" marker for no reason, and depending on how fresh the stain is, this may not remove the stain completely and you may be stuck with the stain.

If the stain is not deep into the carpet, an alternative is to snip away the stained edges with fine manicure scissors or a razor blade. Use tweezers to pull out the severely stained fibers and discard. Remove clean carpet strands from another, hidden area in the room. Apply glue to the stained area, and press the clean fibers into the spot. Press the area with a heavy object for several days before walking on it.

minkmama Thu 30-Dec-04 13:23:26

thanks girls! will try to do something about it! my stain book also says to use alcohol...naturally i don't have any in the house!!

keep the advice flowing for all of us, just in case some of it doesn't work xx

AMerryScot Thu 30-Dec-04 13:27:46

An alcohol-based solvent or dry-cleaning fluid should fade the marks. You could also try to see if acetone (nail polish remover) has any meaningful effect.

We use hand sanitisers for all sorts of children's artwork.

AMerryScot Thu 30-Dec-04 13:28:37

I think white spirit is similar to rubbing alcohol.

jac34 Thu 30-Dec-04 13:31:58

The hairspray might be a good one, my friend uses it to get pen off her cream leather sofa.

winterwarmmummer Thu 30-Dec-04 14:18:40

I think I am just going to put a rug on top! Lazy mother that I am.

minkmama Fri 31-Dec-04 23:22:27

tried the nail varnish remover and it worked a treat! thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now