Talk

Advanced search

So What strange/rubbish/useless present did your child/ren get for christmas?

(16 Posts)
Linnet Wed 29-Dec-04 22:45:51

My MIL has always bought odd presents for dd1. When she was 5 she bought her a bear for age 2-5 that taught colours, numbers shapes etc which at the age of 5 she already knew.

This year we have dd2 who is 7 months old I was on tenterhooks waiting to see what bizarre present MIL presented her with or if she'd manage to get something age appropriate...

Well, she turns up on boxing day with dd2's present and it's a big gray mat with a road and various things like shops, fire station, hopsital etc marked on it. My brother had something similar when he was little and we had great fun playing with it and driving his cars round it etc.

Don't get me wrong it will be used in the future when she's older But would you buy this for a 7 month old baby?

dd1 got an annual which she was quite happy with and so was I as she loves to read but I really did think that MIL would have bought dd2 a rattle or something.

So did anyone elses child/children get anything extremely odd?

juniperdewdrop Wed 29-Dec-04 22:49:27

sorry but I had to laugh.

Don't know about odd but my mam bought DS2 a cheap and nasty garage even though i said i'd get him a quality one. She got him a good but very noisy guitar too lol, and I mean NOISY!! Said garage is slowly making it's way to the back door then going on its holidays to the nice tip

colditzcolditzcold Wed 29-Dec-04 22:59:24

My ds got 2 jumpers aged 4 - he is 20 months old and a bit short! He will be walking to school in one of the, it would fit my friends 6 year old.

My mum got him a playdough factory thing, aged 4+.

He got 2 packets of hard jelly sweets, which I wouldn't allow even if they weren't a choking hazard.

He got a remote control car, which is now broken.

He got a TTT train set, which has had to be put away because he wouldn't stop stamping on it.

And he got an extremely poorly made car, aged 3 plus, that promptly fell to pieces.

I get a bit irate with this because it is hard on my son to have to have most of his presents taken away as soon as they are unwrapped, because he still puts things in his mouth. Even playdough, the foul taste doesn't put him off.

colditzcolditzcold Wed 29-Dec-04 23:01:11

JD are we talking about that guitar that when you touch the strings, it plays music FOREVER and it won't switch off? DS got one of those too.

juniperdewdrop Wed 29-Dec-04 23:07:07

that's the one lurverly isn't it

juniperdewdrop Wed 29-Dec-04 23:08:25

awwww just read your list colditz, poor ds What are people thinking??

tillykins Wed 29-Dec-04 23:10:53

Not odd, but my baby is 14 months and my sister got him a plastic cup with a straw attached...??? And my sister in law bought him a rattle...???
Why?

TwasTheNightBeforeXmasOwl Wed 29-Dec-04 23:51:35

my dad, he of crap present fame excelled himself this year. he bought ds (7) one of those cars you cant play with...whats the word for them..you know, in the boxes? and he bought dd a very cute giraffe who has lots of fluffy hair falling out and isnt suitable for under 3yrs (shes one nearly). if he doesnt know what to buy then why doesnt he ask!!!!

Levanna Thu 30-Dec-04 01:03:03

DD's were as usual given extremely stereotypical 'girls' pressies by DH's family. DD1 was given the whole range of kitchen ware (cr@ppy plastic microwave, toaster, kettle)....MIL is morally offended by the fact that I avoid the kitchen whenever possible (ie. I don't cook all of DH's meals), so obviously sees it as her 'duty' to foist the reality of the duties of a real woman on my poor children! Luckily the microwave is turning out to be useful for storing DD's arts and crafts materials .

lockets Thu 30-Dec-04 01:16:55

Message withdrawn

Christmassbee Thu 30-Dec-04 01:25:00

Message withdrawn

TwasTheNightBeforeXmasOwl Thu 30-Dec-04 01:28:23

bit advanced is fine by me but my dad is really annoying and never has put any thought into the presents for his first grandchildren..(or me in fact when i was little). i really hate the thought some people have had over the years with regard to my ds.."oh hes a boy, i know, i'll buy him a car"!!

Christmassbee Thu 30-Dec-04 01:30:18

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Thu 30-Dec-04 02:01:12

Well the car thing would work fine for my DS - discarded the spiderman dressing up set, discarded the lego set, discarded everything else - except a little set of car bought for him by a family friend!!

kinderbobsleigh Thu 30-Dec-04 04:01:46

I think a lot of the presents my parents bought ds are things they wish they had had the money to buy me. So I forgive them the Wombles video, and the Sooty puppet and the huge Winnie the Pooh as I think they were all actually presents for me 25 years late.

The rubber frog with a long rubber tongue from my MIL (when DS is allergic to latex) is pretty unforgivable though.

Colditz etc. You could put the TTT train on the dining table for a bit and let ds watch from his highchair. That's what we've had to do. It doesn't take that long to assemble really. Unless it's not the battery one in which case ignore me.

Moomin Thu 30-Dec-04 08:58:07

call me victorian mum but i couldn't believe it when two separate people gave dd lipgloss and glitter pots... which were very quickly put up out of her way. she is 3!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now