Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Relocation - where shall we move 2 ?

(70 Posts)
Kaz33 Tue 28-Dec-04 20:11:11

Thanks for everyone who responded to my earlier thread but still interested in thoughts/ recommendations by any evening posters.

Presently in central london but looking to move out. As DP can work from home we are very flexible, too much choice and therefore no idea where to look !!

We need:

- Central London accessible by rail in 2 hours door to door
- Major airport no more than 2 hours away
- Good state schools ( primary & secondary )
- 3/4 bed house no more than 300K
- Large town / small city with loads for kids to do
- Countryside easily accessible
- Happy to go any direction though would prefer not to go east of london.

Any thoughts ?

fisilhohoho Tue 28-Dec-04 20:17:27

we're in the 'burbs (SW London) and we can tick all your boxes!

- 30 mins central London (well, obviously depends on your walk to the station, but the train is 15 mins to Waterloo)

- Heathrow & Gatwick 30 - 60 minutes by car depending on time of day. Both easily accessible by public transport in 1 hour ish

- state schools all good

- 3 - 5 bed houses round here for c. 300K

- everything that central London has for kids & suburban town centres

- countryside 10 minute drive

mullgedwine Tue 28-Dec-04 20:21:45

How about Cardiff or Monmouthshire? Good rail links, housing should be within your budget, state schools are good, cardiff international airport is near, good quality of life, countryside, good shopping in cardiff, going to get better in 2008 with John Lewis, constant rumours of harvey nicks, waitrose in barry, monmouth and abergavenney, 2 hours to west wales and the gower - what more could you want??

jenthehen Tue 28-Dec-04 20:44:30

We're in Derbyshire and find it a geat place to live. DH travels to London once or twice a week and have friends who actually travel daily. Beautiful countryside, loads to do, good shopping in Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester - all easy to get to. Find it a good central base for travelling only real downside is proximity to a beach in summer. Good choioce of airports too. Have quite a few friends who have relocated here from London, all seem refreshed from the move!

Gem13 Tue 28-Dec-04 21:15:26

fisilhohoho - care to name it? DH now mainly works in Hayes and we're down near Brighton so I'm following this thread with interest.

fisilhohoho Tue 28-Dec-04 21:16:27

Raynes Park

whowantstobeamillionare Tue 28-Dec-04 21:20:32

we're shortly to move to Cheshire area/Staffordshire area...not too crowded, countryish and accesible to many places and have checked hoise prices...yuo can but a 4 bedroom house for under £150,000 at mo(even less when prices drop ).

Gem13 Tue 28-Dec-04 21:21:29

Thanks. Shall look it up.

Kaz33 Tue 28-Dec-04 21:26:01

Wow - under £150,000. For a jaded london house owner that seems totally unreal.

Raynes Park - don't know it all.

Once you remove central london from your radar suddenly the possibilites open up.

GoodKingWestCountryLass Tue 28-Dec-04 21:55:56

Bath! A beautiful city which ticks all your boxes

Kaz33 Tue 28-Dec-04 22:51:37

Agreed Bath is beautiful. Is Bath quite expensive though ?

DelGirlsRingAreYouListening Tue 28-Dec-04 22:54:41

was one thread not enough for you then Kaz?

Kaz33 Tue 28-Dec-04 22:57:27

Sorry if that was a bit greedy, but my thread got hijacked by the welsh.

DelGirlsRingAreYouListening Tue 28-Dec-04 22:58:42

i know i know, it's terrible. tsk, the welsh eh <<eye rolling emoticon>>

JOKE!!! to all of you luvley's

WideWebWitch Wed 29-Dec-04 00:53:48

Bath is expensive.

keziah Fri 31-Dec-04 19:01:40

Still say Norwich is great!! We are not on the way to anywhere here so it has a stuck out on a limb secure sort of feel! That appeals to me anyway . The coast is so lovely with Walberswick, Dunwich, Southwold and of course all the North Norfolk places like Blakeney that are so fashionable now.
Norwich has got lovely historic bits and new developments with great shops, its compact so the countryside is right on our doorstep and still relatively unspoilt. Great villages around too.
You should use moving as a great excuse to take holidays to all your shortlisted places!!

Kaz33 Fri 31-Dec-04 20:09:59

Well so far our A list is totally randomnly - Cardiff, Milton Keynes, Bournemouth/Poole. Norwich we discussed and decided was to far, the very reason you like it.

The aim is to spend a weekend in each and see if we like the feel of them. Hopefully we should be able to use this as an execuse to blackmail my parents into taking the boys for the weekend.

JudgeFlounce Sat 01-Jan-05 11:15:10

Message deleted

Kaz33 Sat 01-Jan-05 14:08:01

Wow, that would be very kind of you Judgeflounce and we will definitely take you up on that

iota Sat 01-Jan-05 14:33:33

Mk aint very glam, but it's practical - and handy for London if you get withdrawal symptoms.

check out this link here

JudgeFlounce Sat 01-Jan-05 15:14:13

Message deleted

golds Sat 01-Jan-05 15:33:01

I'll second Milton Keynes - I moved from there 3 years ago and would love to go back. 40mins Euston, 3 junctions on M1 to Luton, Trains straight to Gatwick, Theatres, Snowdome, cycle routes, great jobs, I can carry on and on and on and on.........

Now in Staffs which is loveley too.

Davrosthesnowwoman Sat 01-Jan-05 17:17:11

What about Cambs area? Near to Stansted and all the other things you want.

codswallop Sat 01-Jan-05 18:27:35

salisbury?

Kaz33 Sat 01-Jan-05 21:14:04

DP is from near Cambridge originally, so that has been already discounted.

Salisbury, from visits to Glastonbury many years ago I remember it being a lovely city, though I suspect not the place for us.

The thing that we like about the idea of MK is its newness, it appears to have no prentisions to be something that it isn't if that makes sense. We are looking for a new start after too long in the big smoke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now