Talk

Advanced search

When a job ad says it wants experiance do they mean it ???

(13 Posts)
ChristmasCracker Thu 23-Dec-04 14:10:07

Just found the perfect job for me. In my area 5pm until 12.30am 4 days out of 7, 7 quid an hour.

Basically it is imputting data from what i can tell, think it may be for a delivery company.

Anyway it says must have telephone experiance and good telephone manner. Well i can yap on the phone for england but don't think that is quite what they mean.

It then goes on to say, IT skills and advantage but not essential as training will be provided.

Now personally i would have thought the IT skills more important but anyway.

Is it worth me applying do you reckon ???

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:14:06

Yes! A good telephone manner just means you can talk clearly and politely and you already have IT skills if you are on Mumsnet. If in dobt, just say you are a quick leaner and are willing to be shown how to do things. If they get a better qualified candidate, you may not get the job, but it is worth a go surely?

ChristmasCracker Thu 23-Dec-04 14:18:42

Righty ho i will ring now, think it is the job centre though so may have to ring after xmas.

Can't quite believe how perfect a job it seems to be, but we'll see.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:19:16

Good luck. This could be the start of something new!

ChristmasCracker Thu 23-Dec-04 14:22:04

Hmm just re read the ad and it says "must have recent telephone experiance'

Just think they might think i'm a bit mad ringing them when i obviously don't have the experiance.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:24:25

No no no. I used to do this sort of job during the holidays when I was a student. If they want recent experience, I expect they mean experience using an exchange. Well, I used several and they were all different. Just say, no I haven't used that sort before but if you show me how it works, I learn very quickly. How hard can it be anyway? Obviously, speak nicely when you ring up so they know your voice is clear and prefessional sounding.

morningpaper Thu 23-Dec-04 14:24:50

CC: Have you NEVER had a job where you need to talk to clients or anyone on the phone? What was your last job? You only need something very vague in order to blag it.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:25:23

Anyway, how many other people are gong to be applying right now? You should get in there while everyone else is thinking about turkeys.

morningpaper Thu 23-Dec-04 14:27:28

Good advice Lonely mum!

ChristmasCracker Thu 23-Dec-04 14:29:14

My last job was as a childminder very breifly about 5 years ago. Before that i was a room attendant in a hotel.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:29:52

So you are used to dealing with members of the public then aren't you?

ChristmasCracker Thu 23-Dec-04 14:30:28

I guess so yeah , god i'm such a wuss.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 14:34:15

No, it just takes a lot to go back to the world of work. I haven't done it for nearly three years and before that, six years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now