Talk

Advanced search

Another Santa question..

(8 Posts)
PamiNativity Thu 23-Dec-04 12:11:37

We are taking dd1 (3.9) and dd2 (20 months) to a crib service tomorrow. We have been asked to bring a present to be donated to children at a women's refuge.
How do I explain to dd1 about the present - ie why Santa won't be bringing a present to all children?
(Please, no comments about telling her that Santa doesn't exist - this is our first proper Christmas with her understanding about Santa and it is so sweet )

Tinker Thu 23-Dec-04 12:13:19

Because they've moved and he doesn't know their current address? (Mind you, so have you haven't you?) Hmm, but you've remembered to tell him!

PaRumPumPumScum Thu 23-Dec-04 12:17:35

Do you have to bring Santa into it at all, p? I think I'd just say something like some kids have loads of presents at Christmas and some don't have as many, so I bet they'll really love this one

Waswondering Thu 23-Dec-04 12:24:59

DS isn't at the Santa stage yet, so forgive me if this isn't appropriate! Do your DDs think you have any correspondence with Santa, or is it a telepathy thing that Santa automatically knows what to bring? Just wondered if you could say that some children don't have mummies and daddies who can make sure that the letters get sent to Santa, or to check that Santa will be coming to their house, so we want to make sure that they get presents too and are happy on Christmas day? Or as the other poster said about not bringing Santa into it, could you say that you are getting lots of presents from family and friends as well as Santa, but these children don't have families to give them presents, so we'll give them one instead?

WigWamBam Thu 23-Dec-04 12:26:33

We have told our dd that people buy presents for children, but they have to go to Santa to be delivered. When we donate gifts, we tell her that lots of people aren't as lucky as we are and that we are sending a present to Santa so that he can give it to someone whose mummy and daddy can't afford to buy them.

LadyPenelope Thu 23-Dec-04 12:32:19

I'd be surprised if she put 2 + 2 together ... but if asked, I'd tell her that some of her presents come from you and from Grandmas, Grandpas etc, but that some children don't get any from their Mummies and Daddies or relatives and that this is a nice way to make up for it. Or just that it's a nice thing to do (ie it's for no other reason that they don't have as much as she does...)

Christie Thu 23-Dec-04 13:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PamiNativity Thu 23-Dec-04 14:51:19

These are all great suggestions, thanks. I'm going to see what she says first and then I'll probably use one of these ruses.
And you're right, Christie - I think it's great for children to understand that not everyone gets lots of presents at Christmas.
Merry Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now