Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help need with Gloucestershire relocation.......................

(21 Posts)
emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 17:20:24

Hi ladies,

some of you may know that we're on the move and we've had the survey back for the house and it's not good. If the woman drops the price then it's not too much of a problem but we need her to drop it by 15 grand!!!!

We're now back looking at properties and are obviously right back at square one.

Can anyone recommend nice areas, primary schools etc within a 15-20 mile radius of Gloucester? we want semi-rural really so it's really hard not knowing the area at all.

There's a house we've seen(over the WWW) in Quedgeley (sp?) is that a nice area? Are the schools any good?

TIA.

ByronsBird Wed 22-Dec-04 17:33:45

Hi emMerryChristmastmg. I posted on here a while back to see if anyone knew the Glos. area but got no replies so will be interested to see any recommendations you get. We're relocating from Hampshire and don't know the area at all well yet. We're moving to Eastington (about 10 mins. drive from Gloucester)and by all accounts, the primary school there is excellent. There are loads of really good schools in the county generally, but can't vouch for Quedgeley. We too have had problems with the survey and will be spending the next ten years putting everything right! What work will you need to do on your new house?

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Dec-04 17:37:13

Oh no, so was that the one with the train at the bottom of the garden? What a shame, let's hope she drops the price. Don't know anything abotu Quedgley, sorry but lots of Glos is gorgeous. (my mum's from there so I know it a little bit but not enough to give you much advice). I know Stroud's cheaper house price wise than a lot of the Cotswolds. Gloucester itself is 'orrible (IMO, sorry to anyone who lives there) so good that you're going for outside of Gloucester.

emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 17:42:56

I know WWW, feel really gutted about the house as it was the steam train thing that was making it Ok for the kids. Dh just asked DS2 what was happening on saturday and he said all excited "We're going to the train house"
I REALLY hope she drops the price but as we got it for 16 grand under the asking price I doubt she will, stubborn old hag!

emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 17:48:14

Sorry BB, not ignoring you!!

The surveryor has told us over the phone that lots of thing are wrong with it. He did list them but DH couldn't write it down fast enough.

Ok, I fibbed abit, the survey is in the post but over the phone we know it not good.

All electrics and something about a collapsed drain are the only things I can remember. He said a minimum of 10 grand worth of work to start with

ByronsBird Wed 22-Dec-04 17:59:26

If it looks like she won't drop, try mentioning subtly to her/agent/whoever that any major problems thrown up by survey will need to be disclosed to future interested parties, so she may as well drop the price now {wink}. She's lucky she's got a potential buyer - we've had absolutely no interest in our current house, languishing with no viewers at all for two months now.

Agree WWW Gloucester a bit of a dump, but DH cheered me up last night by telling me John Lewis is within easy drive from our new place. Stroud pretty, though.

ByronsBird Wed 22-Dec-04 18:00:39

Can't do winks obviously!

ZolaPola Wed 22-Dec-04 18:02:17

don't like quedgeley myself or anywhere actually around Glos. if you want rural, vilages around towns like Ledbury (e.g Dymock), Newent (eg May Hill, Minsterworth etc) or Tewkesbury are good, much cheaper than the cotswolds and have good schools. have you tried www.upmystreet.com
can check local facilities, do profile, find links to schools etc.

emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 18:06:30

That's what we thought we'd say actually BB. I mean if we don't buy it the next people will only find the same problems.

Also we're the first people to get to a survey stage on her house and of course the market is pretty bad at the moment, as you well know.

Just said to Dh that is we don't get this house I really really don't want to do it.

What a bloody nightmare!

ByronsBird Wed 22-Dec-04 18:10:01

I think agents are legally obliged to disclose any issues thrown up by surveys etc. Hope she listens to sense! Do you have a set start-date for new jobs, i.e. pressure to move by a certain time?

emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 18:11:59

So do I BB, DH's start date would be 04/04/05 so we do have abit of time.

Zola, Why don't you like quedeley? What's it like?

emMerryChristmastmg Wed 22-Dec-04 20:18:39

Bumpity bump for the evening crew....anyone else got any info?

marialuisa, are you around you were very helpful before

Furball Wed 22-Dec-04 21:27:52

I used to live in Abbeymead in Gloucester. I don't know Quedgeley that well, but have driven through it a few times. It's basically a huge area of new developments, so big they are trying to get town status and break away from Gloucester. I have known a few people who live there and they seemed quite happy. Gloucester itself is tatty and has really poor shop quality. Although loads of people live there and they don't seem to mind!! Here is some info from the council about all the schools in Gloucestershire. Just give us a shout, if you want to know more.

GoodKingWestCountryLass Thu 23-Dec-04 00:24:59

Not sure exactly how far it is from Gloucester but I was brought up in Thornbury which is sort of between Gloucester and Bristol. The secondary school I ent to has a very good reputation, The Castle School.

emMerryChristmastmg Thu 23-Dec-04 08:05:05

Hmmmmm, that's what we don't want Furball. Big new development area.

Westlass, might be abit of a drive for Dh when he's on earlies. He starts at 4am sometimes.

Oh bugger bugger bugger!

AzureSelfaMerryLittleChristmas Thu 23-Dec-04 08:15:57

GoodKingWestCountryLass - I was a Marlwood girl!!! EmMerryChristmastmg, are you considering south Gloucestershire? My brother and his family live in Wotton-Under-Edge, which has a good primary and secondary school. Really nice, friendly place.

Furball Thu 23-Dec-04 08:21:41

Is your Dh's new job actually IN Gloucester or Gloucestershire?

emMerryChristmastmg Thu 23-Dec-04 08:26:52

He's a train driver and he'll be based at Gloucester station.

Thanks for the link btw.

Really hope the survey/report arrives today so we can see everything that wrong. I hate the idea I not getting that house especially as the kids love it so much. I'd feel like I was really cheating them.

GoodKingWestCountryLass Thu 23-Dec-04 12:40:36

I just had a look, its 25 miles. Yes, Wotton-Under-Edge, Kingswood (W-U-E), Stone, Upper/Lower Wick, Stonehosue etc etc are all nice towns/villages. You are spoilt for choice really!

AzureSelfaMerryLittleChristmas, how spooky! How old are you? I am 31 btw. Did you live in Thornbury?

emmatmg Fri 31-Dec-04 20:50:26

An update for you all.

The survey arrived a day or so after I started this thread and to say it's bad would be a slight understatment.

To name a few the house needs-
Complete new damp proof course, 3 foot of internal wall plaster has to be stripped for this, along with the stuff they do from outside(not sure what they do though)
Underpinning in areas(not sure what that means).
All floor boards and joists replaced downstairs because of damp. Some upstairs.
Dry rot in places.
External walls need re-pointing.
Kitchen roof needs replacing as it's flat and concrete so it too heavy for the structure supporting it.

According to the survey this would cost around £20,000 so we'd be in deep sh*t!

And that's without all the stuff that we want to do. Redecorating, new bathroom, kitchen, conservartory.

We've decided because of this to bail out and not move. We're going to stay and finish this house and move in a few years, which was our original plan.

Weird really as I am a little disappointed even though I was so sad a leaving to start with. Oh well!

So Thanks to everyone who gave us advice, Dh has really seen how wonderful MN is because of you all.

Happy New year to you all

GoodKingWestCountryLass Sat 01-Jan-05 22:50:45

Crikey! Thank the Lord for full surveys eh?

We are having a smililar moving dilemma of sorts. We saw a hosue we liked so put our house on the mkt, the house we liked has now sold to someone else, we've been looking for another but cannot find anything we like but we love where we live and are thinking a\bout doing the work we want to do here and staying here a while longer. It would involve, loft conversion, moving bathroom, new kitchen, rewiring, conservatory, buying plot of land. What to do, what to do....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now