Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy your friend Christmas presents?

(15 Posts)
Flumberrysauce Tue 21-Dec-04 15:38:08

I am in a group of girlfriends that I have known for about 10 years. Some are closer than others and a few are best friends with each other etc. Some buy xmas presents for each other.

I would consider them my main group of friends ie go out with them alot, have them over to my house etc.

I have never bought them Christmas presents though. I think because until last couple of years I was mostly overseas for work etc.

Am meeting them all tonight and haven't got any of them a prezzy. But they have been such good friends to me this year particularly and are always getting little things for my baby.

Should I dash and buy them prezzies on my way home?

But what if they haven't got me anything and it makes them feel uncomfortable.

If I don't get them something and they have got me something will I feel uncomfortable? Probably not I am far too thickskinned and shellfish.

I am in a quandry.

Flumberrysauce Tue 21-Dec-04 15:39:13

Title sposed to be 'friends' plural.

Festivepussy Tue 21-Dec-04 15:40:25

I would grab them all some pretty but small smellys on the way home just so they know you have thought about them...IYKWIM

Minstrel Tue 21-Dec-04 15:41:35

LOL Flumberry at Shellfish. Is there any of them you could phone and ask? Could you buy something to share on the night between them? (Champers/chocs etc)

mistletoe Tue 21-Dec-04 15:44:56

Well, I have a friend of many years, and we swap christmas presents, but to be honest I only buy her one becos I know she'll buy me one. I tried to stop her a couple of years ago when dh and I were financially challenged, I suggested to her that she didn't need to get me one just to get one for ds. But she did it anyway, making me feel v. embarrassed, I had to get her something in the Januaryu sales.

This same friend brings me gifts from her holidays too. I really wish she wouldn't, as they are usually things I really don't like, but feel obliged to keep and display. But a gift from her usually makes me think "oh no, what hideous thiong is it this time?" I'm ungrateful, aren't I?

Flumberrysauce Tue 21-Dec-04 15:46:38

Spose I could buy some ciggies.........

Might have a quick squizz in Liv St on way home for inspiration. I do remember there is an amaaaaaaaaazing chocolate shop there.

Flumberrysauce Tue 21-Dec-04 15:49:07

You're not ungrateful. My mum is always bringing me useless tat from holiday destinations.

Same I always feel obliged to spend half a day of holiday looking for useless tat to bring back for her.

The thing is with my mates is they all have plenty of money to get themselves anything they might want. But that is not the point is it. The point is to spend time thinking of something personal and interesting that that person will like and thats the point of it. I guess.

Minstrel Tue 21-Dec-04 15:49:59

Theres a thought-share a cigar? LOL

Flumberrysauce Tue 21-Dec-04 15:58:04

I might say. I didn't get you anything because I am saving up to get you something reeeeeeeally great next year.

mistletoe Tue 21-Dec-04 15:59:00

but don't say it until everyone is p*ssed, so they won't remember.

Hulababy Tue 21-Dec-04 16:23:34

WE don't buy presents for our friends. We do buy for each others children where there are any though, but not spending loads. Just think the cost of Christmas would be even more silly if we bought for friends as well as family.

MarsselectionboxLady Tue 21-Dec-04 16:26:08

I think that you should get them a little something if you want to. If they have nothing for you then tell them that you simply wanted to thank them for their wonderful support this year.

Gobbledigoose Tue 21-Dec-04 16:28:11

Sorry, not read other posts but..

if you feel you want to say a little thank you because they've been helpful around particular issues then, yes, I'd get them something small - even if you nip to Tesco and get a small box of Finest chocs or a scented candle or something. If nothing imparticular has happened and they are just friends and you aren't expecting anything then I wouldn't bother.

I used to buy mates years ago but noone does now we've all got kids - we don't even do adults in our family now as it's all for the kids.

merrymarthamoo Tue 21-Dec-04 17:22:17

I buy my three best girlfriends a present. 'Cos I love them

If you want to, then get them a little something and say "I wanted to give you something this year 'cos you've all been so fab.."

Or you could get things, wrap them, then hold them in reserve in case they produce pressies. Get things you would like and then you can keep them if they don't bring presents! Not that I have ever done such a thing <<<ahem>>>

littledrummerbird Tue 21-Dec-04 18:22:27

Many of my friends simply exchange gifts of homemade food beautifully and festively wrapped. In the past I've received a jars of jam, Christmas biscuits, jars of chutney, jars of sweet pickles, fudge, etc. It is a thoughtful gesture, and doesn't cost the earth. Also not awkward if your friends haven't gotten something for you. Would that work for your friends?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now