Talk

Advanced search

Not such a merry Christmas

(41 Posts)
PamiNativity Tue 21-Dec-04 14:20:32

Sorry, just got to have a rant...
House saga still continuing - have got 1 day left to exchange otherwise it will be January before we exchange
This pales into insignificance after finding out today that dd2 has been exposed to measles at nursery. We now have suspicions that what we thought was eczema on her face is actually something else . She's not been innoculated yet (wanted to wait until Spring) so it's perfectly possible. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and don't know if I've had measles - can't get hold of my mum to ask her.
We were meant to be spending Xmas with my parents, but as my mum has cancer and has been having chemo, we can't, just in case. We're going to be persona non grata with all our friends over Christmas too, as the ones we were planning to see have all got small babies.
b*gger.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Tue 21-Dec-04 14:21:54

lockets Tue 21-Dec-04 14:22:53

Message withdrawn

MariNativityPlay Tue 21-Dec-04 14:26:50

Oh NO Pamina. Oh PANTS. It is going round S London, but so are a lot of other viral rashes. Really hope you get your house sewn up and that dd2 doesn't have it.
Are you sure you weren't immunised against it at school? I know most London schools had a programme...
Sending you {{{hugs}}}, what an avalanche of worry

ks Tue 21-Dec-04 14:29:04

Message withdrawn

Blu Tue 21-Dec-04 14:30:05

Oooh, you must be frantic. So sorry.....
Can you get a definite diagnosis for dd2? I so hope all this turns out ok for you.

hester Tue 21-Dec-04 14:30:45

Oh Pamina, you poor love. What a bloody horrible irritating end to the year for you. Could you ring your midwife or NHS Direct for advice on the measles? As for the rest - well, bugger. I know you were really looking forward to christmas in the new place. Hugs xxx

bundleofyulelogs Tue 21-Dec-04 14:32:26

surely you could get a blood test re: measles antibodies for yourself. sorry about the xmas unclean scenario - had proper flu a few years back and couldn't go home to my parents (dad has emphysema) so festered in gloomy flat on my own...friends did bring me a plate of xmas dinner and bumper pack paracetamol round at 4.30..)

Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 14:35:35

wouldn't worry about the measles from your point of view (ring your midwife and ask for an antibody titre though)- unless you're very young there was so much round when we were kids that you'll have got immunity one way or another.

The rash on her face is almost certainy eczema- in measles a high temperature accompanies the rash- usually following a barking cough. To check before a rash appears look inside her mouth- little spots like grains of salt called kopliks spots are diagnostic- and are there when the cough is present but before the temp rises and the rash shows up.

If the mum's have had measles or (less reassuringly) have been innoculated (not quite so reliable) the babies will be protected by their antibodies- usually up to a year- although certainly for the first 6 months. I certainly woudln't worry about seeing you with my newborn (when he arrives) as I had measles aged 8 and I suspect- apart from me- he'll have the best protection in the house.

Check out the incubation periods etc- defintiely best to avoid your mum obviously.

Oh and before the shops shut buy some cod liver oil (has to be liver oil) and give your dd some (not too much- just a few doses). The vitamin A is great if she has been exposed. Reduces the length and severity of measles.

PamiNativity Tue 21-Dec-04 15:01:55

Thanks for the sympathy ladies, much appreciated.
JJB, thanks for the advice - will get dh to look inside dd's mouth. She has had a bit of a cough, along with her cold, but only first thing when she goes to bed. We haven't noticed any signs of a high temperature and she's not been out of sorts any more than she would normally be with a cold.
I've managed to get hold of my mum - she thinks I haven't had measles but that I've possibly been innoculated. My dad thinks I've probably had measles....so no answers there! She reckons that she has had measles but is going to ring her sister to confirm. She's seeing her consultant tomorrow so I guess he will say if it would be ok for us to see her, if she has had measles and dd2 doesn't look like she's got them.
My mum was so upset when I told her that we might not be coming for Xmas - I was nearly in tears (at work, not so good in an open plan office). It just seems like we're having everything heaped on us at the moment (I haven't had the heart to go into our washing maching-moving story at the weekend which resulted in my mum's car having a shattered back windscreen)

Piffleoffagus Tue 21-Dec-04 15:08:18

if it helps --- my dd had measles and it was accompanied by a ferocious fever of 42 deg and the rash started on her trunk and she was almost red all over, it never got to her face, just behind her ears. She was very very poorly with hacking barking dry cough too.
Most babies have immunity for at least 6 mths I believe from inherited antobodies?
Sorry it all sounds very scary though, take care xx

cas73 Tue 21-Dec-04 15:15:33

Sorry to hear all this Pamina. Why don't you make an emergency appointment at the doctors to get dd2 checked out? I wouldn't worry too much though, there are quite a few things going round atm. Both dds have had a cold in the past 10 days with high temperature for a couple of days followed by a day of coughing (actually a few days of bad coughing for dd1, but it just cleared now).
Well, all the best, I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end.

BTW, will you be in at around 7.30 tonight to drop off the toy car?

WideWebWitch Tue 21-Dec-04 15:20:21

Pamina, sorry to hear this. What Jimjams says sounds reassuring though, in that atleast it doesn't sound dangerous from a you being pregnant point of view (congratulations btw!). Sorry, trying to think of something positive to say, really hope it turns out not to be measles and that your house goes through asap.

PamiNativity Tue 21-Dec-04 15:22:14

Thanks again. I really hope that if it is more than a cold, that it is just one of the bugs that is going round. Luckily dd1 is immunised so hopefully should be fine whatever.
Cas73 - we are now in the new house but popping back every so often. Are you around after Xmas? If so, I'll ring you when we're popping over and we'll come to yours and pick it up.

cas73 Tue 21-Dec-04 15:26:01

Brilliant!!!! (being in the new house I mean ).
Yes, we'll be around. Just give me a call when you're here - it'll be great to see you.
I wish you DO have a merry Christmas, despite your thread title!!!

Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 16:07:54

PmiNativty- your mum will definitely have been exposed to measles (given her age) - it would be worth checking with the consultant though just in case her treatmeent makes any difference.

Agree with Piffle- a very high temp accompanies measles with a very ferocious cough. Every time ds2 starts barking away I check him for kopliks spots.

Another thing you could do if your dd2 has definitely been exposed is order the homeopathic remedy morbillinum from Ainsworths (you can order online and they are very fast at delivery). 30C strength would do- give her a couple of doses- an internet search would give an idea of how much- I think iirc after a definte exposure something like one dose once a day for a week should be sufficient, but there will be variations on these suggestions. I'll have a look later and see if I can find something more definite if you want. I did something similar when ds2 was exposed to whooping cough at 4 months - and he didn't get it (and everything I was reading was saying he almost certainly would).

PamiNativity Tue 21-Dec-04 16:21:20

Cas - I'll make sure we don't have the lurgy before coming over!
JJB - that's really helpful, thanks. Will definitely try and order it. She has definitely been exposed - the other case is in her room at nursery, and at 20 months they are always slobbering over each other and sharing cups.

JJ Tue 21-Dec-04 16:41:40

Pamina, sorry to hear this. We're around this Christmas (do you live nearish me or am I completely confused?), have immunizations out the wazoo and mumps, shmumps, you're welcome to come by if you're feeling cabin feverish. I know I'll be feeling the same way and that's without mumps and being pregnant!

I'm in Hackney, btw.

Batters Tue 21-Dec-04 20:05:11

oh pamina, just caught up with this. Really really sorry.

We are around after Jan 1st so please feel free to visit or arrange a meet-up.

Take care sweetie.

xxxxxxx

Tinker Tue 21-Dec-04 20:14:37

Bummer pamina. Just read this. Hope it all turns out to be better than ok.

hoxtonturkey Tue 21-Dec-04 20:34:48

really hope dd2 hasn't got it, pamina, & that you can see your parents over xmas. take care. xxx

motherinfestivemood Tue 21-Dec-04 20:43:07

We're here ALL the time. DD1 has been (ahem) MMRd, so we can come and see you.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

PamiNativity Wed 22-Dec-04 09:36:43

Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kind offers! I will certainly be in touch if cabin fever strikes. However, so far so good, touch wood. When dh picked up dd2 from nursery yesterday, the story was that she definitely had measles. When I got home and had a look at her, she definitely didn't! All she had was a rash on her cheeks which I am sure can be traced back to the cheesy Snackajacks she had been eating! This rash has almost totally gone now, and is more eczema-like than spotty.
Dh took both dds into nursery this morning and it turns out that one of the other "measles" cases in dd2's room is also in today, having not come down with them. This still leaves one child unaccounted for (hadn't turned up today) who may have measles, but equally I guess it could be something else.
There is a case of measles in another room in nursery, and dd2 was at a party with this child 10 days ago, so there is still a risk.....
Will wait and see what my mum's consultant's verdict is on Christmas....
Oh, and the unmentionable "H" thing is meant to be happening today. Fingers crossed!!!

PamiNativity Wed 22-Dec-04 13:05:09

We have exchanged!!!!!!

Bring on the measles, I can cope with anything now!!!!

hester Wed 22-Dec-04 13:16:46

Mazel tov!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now