Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

salt free stock cubes??

(15 Posts)
billiejo Mon 20-Dec-04 23:34:23

hiya, can anyone help? Imake my own baby food but absolutely HATE with a passion having to make all the stock....it's so time consuming. Does anybody know where i can buy salt free stock cubes??

Cheers billiejo

polly28 Mon 20-Dec-04 23:35:53

i've used low salt stock cubes that i found in holland and barrets.
I think waitrose may do them now.

MissYulie Mon 20-Dec-04 23:36:44

Kallo are low salt

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 20-Dec-04 23:40:12

I know this is simple of me to suggest but like you I have always made my own food and I just use the water that I have boiled veg and potatoes in and just put it in container and pop in the freezer until I need to use it. DD loves the meals with it in.

GeorginaAdventCalendar Mon 20-Dec-04 23:44:57

Unfortunately, I've found that many of the low salt stock cubes aren't much less salty than the "normal" varieties. For example, one brand of "low salt" was 0.4g per 100ml sodium - identical to a "normal" Knorr stock cube. Fresh stocks tend to be less salty (0.3g per 100ml - Sainsburys & Tescos fresh chicken stocks) but you do have to read the label very carefully.

If it's something that has strong flavours in anyway, I tend to just use water or the water used from cooking veg (like Newbarnsleygirl). If I feel that I have to use real stock for something I'll use Knorr or fresh stock (depending what's available) but dilute to 1/3rd strength of what it's supposed to be and make sure I only give ds2 one "salty" meal in the day to keep him well under the recommended levels.

billiejo Tue 21-Dec-04 09:58:05

Hi everyone,
thanks for your messages, i know what you mean about using the cooking water but i always use the recipies for the casseroles in annabel karmel and she always says to put all the veg / meat etc in a pan full of stock!!! that means making the darn stuff before i even get started on the actual dish!??
what d'ya reckon? ds is 11 1/2 months by the way.

billiejo.xx

noddyholder Tue 21-Dec-04 10:03:09

kallo do have a bit but it is less than most

GeorginaAdventCalendar Tue 21-Dec-04 10:03:27

I'm using AK too, billiejo - I just substitute her stock for water/cooking water as required unless I think it's going to be flavourless without something more complicated (then go for very watery stock). Ds2 hasn't complained yet .

If 11.5 months I would say you probably can be a little less careful over it but would probably still use a Knorr stock cube with twice as much water as it says on the packet or water down some fresh stock (half water/half stock). By about 18mths with ds1 he just had what we had and I didn't worry about it (but neither did I add salt in cooking veg etc).

billiejo Tue 21-Dec-04 10:11:32

thanks georginaadventcalendar and noddyholder.....great names by the way!

Pidge Tue 21-Dec-04 10:11:58

Another recommendation for Kallo reduced salt - they genuinely have virtually no salt in them. Whereas Marigold Swiss Bouillon reduced salt has rather a lot. Very boringly you just have to read the labels to make sure.

Alternately - I didn't have any problem just using water with most of the Karmel recipes.

JanH Tue 21-Dec-04 10:57:31

I have Kallo low salt organic - sodium content of vegetable cubes is 0.03g. (Decimal point is in correct place!)

GoodKingWestCountryLass Tue 21-Dec-04 13:11:21

I use the low salt Kallo cubes but dilute the stock down by half.

GoodKingWestCountryLass Tue 21-Dec-04 13:11:59

PS. I made Anabel Karmel stock once, never again...

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Tue 21-Dec-04 13:44:13

You could if you wished make a huge big pan of salt free stock .. reduce it down and freeze in ice cubes

personally couldn't be fagged .. but you can if you wnat

muminlondon Tue 21-Dec-04 14:14:13

That's what I used to do Twiglett - reduce it down, freeze in ice cubes. DD is now 21 months so I can't be bothered but it made me feel very virtuous at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now