Talk

Advanced search

Cavity wall insulation

(12 Posts)
noddy5 Sun 21-Nov-04 14:55:20

We are thinking of having this done as we live in a large 70's end of terrace and it is quite cold.How much difference does it really make and is the effect instant?Thanks

Sozie Sun 21-Nov-04 14:58:42

We got this done in the summer as apparently our local authority were subsidising the cost. I would say it makes a big difference now the colder weather is here - I turn the heating off more in the day when before I would have left it on if we were in all day iyswim.

noddy5 Sun 21-Nov-04 15:24:29

this is why I want it as I am at home a lot in the day and feel guilty putting it on at times!However all the rooms on external wall are a bit chilly even with the heat on

grumpyfrumpy Sun 21-Nov-04 15:32:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sozie Sun 21-Nov-04 16:13:44

Definitely check with your local authority to see if there is a subsidy available infact I think British Gas (our gas and elec supplier) had conducted a survey which I completed and then must have passed my details to a company to contact me - hang on, I'll look out the details.
It was carried out by Mark Insullations Ltd in Leicester who I presume get the local authority contracts. I'm in Essex by the way but the subsidy must be country wide I'd think. Does anyone know??

hovely Sun 21-Nov-04 23:07:49

yes, subsidy is countrywide. my local authority had a big list of all kinds of grants and subsidies (most we weren't eligible for)so you might even get some more ideas for other energy saving things to do.
agree, it makes an immediate difference. However we had a small disaster - they drill holes in the outside wall to pump the stuff in, and managed to drill into the back of the fireplace and pumped insulation into the sitting room - hey presto - one double buggy, sling, baby blanket etc all covered in insulation fibres, as well as the sofa, rug, etc. After I calmed down I did some internet research and satisfied myself it is not carcinogenic, but like all small fibres, it can irritate your skin and lungs if breathed in. They cleaned our furniture with an industrial vacuum cleaner - don't let them use your home cleaner, as it will recirculate the fibres every time you use it from then on - and paid us the cost price of the baby equipment which i was not prepared to use again. No problems since then.

zeebee Mon 22-Nov-04 14:41:04

35% of heat loss from a house is estimated to go through the walls - and the payback period (in terms of savings)for cavity wall insulation is usually relatively quick.

To find out about the schemes operating in your locality, phone 0800 512 012. This will put you through to your nearest Energy Efficiency Advice Centre who will have the latest info. They can also advise whether you are eligible for a 100% grant from the government (Warm Front grant)or ring 0800 952 0600.

HTH and isn't too geeky. I only know this through work!!

TracyK Mon 22-Nov-04 14:47:22

That reminds me - I had a survey done and they quoted me £200 odd for a fairly large 3 bed detached - well worth it I think. I must call them back and arrange for it to be done.

Sozie Mon 22-Nov-04 14:55:12

TraceyK we paid £175.00 and the Local Authority paid whatever the rest was (prob 50/50 split).

TracyK Mon 22-Nov-04 15:03:43

I was expecting to be quoted nearer a grand - so was pleasantly surprised - they quoted £200 odd for loft insulation too. I will go and phone them now - if I can prise myself off mn!

mrsmiawallace Mon 22-Nov-04 20:30:32

NODDY 5, HOPE YOU SEE THIS BEFORE ITS TO LATE!
GOOGLE 'WARM FRONT' IS A GOVERMENT RUN COMPANY WHO 'UPGRADE HOMES WHEN YOU ARE OF A CERTAIN AGE OR IN RECIEPT OF CERTAIN BENEFITS...WORKING TAAX, CHILD TAX ETC..THE SITE WILL TELL YOU MORE, BUT WE'VE HAD IT DONE IN OUR LAST TWO HOUSES AND MY MAM IS ABOUT TO HAVE HERS DONE...CAVITY WALL, DRAFT PROOFING, ATTIC INSULATION YOU NAME IT...HOPE YOU MANAGE TO GET IT.
[SMILE]

Fourby4 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:42:20

It can cause excessive condensation and damp problems. Cavities are there for a reason. About 1 in 5 properties experience problems. They never tell you that though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now