Talk

Advanced search

Inquisitive toddler and Christmas trees

(44 Posts)
Waswondering Thu 18-Nov-04 16:11:59

DS will be 15m when the tree is placed into position this year, and lovingly decorated. Question is - will it stay upright? Will it become a "no . . . no . . . mummy said no" object? Will he notice it is there?

Last year he looked cute in his bouncy chair in front of it. I'm worried this year he might bounce in it!

Any advice?

Blackduck Thu 18-Nov-04 16:13:16

I'm thinking the same thing! ds will be 20 months! My nephew has already commented 'oh ds and cats - tree won't be up long then'....

DillyDally Thu 18-Nov-04 16:14:14

oo have no useful ideas but will read with interest as I am consigning myself to fake trees until DD is old enough to realise it will hurt if she pulls herself up on a real tree.

nailpolish Thu 18-Nov-04 16:16:05

hi! there was a post about this not too long ago and i remember someone said they put theirs in a playpen!

LunarSea Thu 18-Nov-04 16:19:37

We put the tree inside our octagonal wooden playpan (with ds outside, obviously).

LunarSea Thu 18-Nov-04 16:19:59

Oops- posts crossed, nailpolish.

Blackduck Thu 18-Nov-04 16:22:23

unfortunatley haven't got a playpen - and I don't think it'll look very nice inside his travel cot!

crunchie Thu 18-Nov-04 16:23:01

Fake ones are at least lighter and less dangerous IMHO

honeybunny Thu 18-Nov-04 16:32:44

ds1 and ds2 have escaped unscathed from real trees for the past 4yrs! And we have 3 cats. Never an accident. ds1 was 8weeks, xmas1,14mo, xmas2, 26mo, xmas3, 38mo xmas4 and will be 4.2 this one. ds2 was 8mo, 20mo, and now 32mo so I think we've covered most age groups in that. The challenge was always getting the bead chains on without them getting hold of them and tangling them into a mess during the decorating stage. Once up they would sit in awe at the foot of the tree and watch the lights twinkle, baubles spin and occasionally prod something but they never tried to pull one down.

Waswondering Thu 18-Nov-04 16:36:09

Thanks Honneybunny - we have bead chains too, and will also be using a real tree (I love the smell of them apart from anything else!).

Love the idea of sitting in awe underneath and watching the lights!

Alas, we don't have a playpen!

KangaMummy Thu 18-Nov-04 16:47:29

what about buying a shorter real tree and putting it on a table

Or behind a fireguard

We put on a table when DS was little

We have 2 cats but no probs there

jude2105 Thu 18-Nov-04 16:56:05

at the risk of taking the thread in another direction.... no probs with the kids (DS at 6,18,30,42 months always understood not to touch, DD last year at 5 months couldn't get there if she tried altho think may have issue this year!) ....but the cat - seems to want to help decorate and brings us loads of mice to hang on the tree

smellymelly Thu 18-Nov-04 17:28:52

It might not be to everyones taste, but since children, I have used a fibre optic Xmas tree, with no added decorations. It is very fast to put up! And safe for the kids to even touch, who love the the colours.

We make up for it by putting loads of coloured lights in the windows..

Donbean Thu 18-Nov-04 17:58:49

Ive got a brill suggestion which was given to me by my auntie who had a very inquisitive toddler. If you have got "tie backs" or "hold backs" attached to the wall for your curtains, why not get a strong pice of string or fabric, tie it around the tree to the tie back. The string or fabric will be concealed within the branches and the tree will be relatively safe from falling. Obviously you will need to place the tree near your window but if you dont mind this, problem solved. HTH x

mishmish Thu 18-Nov-04 18:54:50

Last year I sawed off a few off the bottom branches and a bit like donbean's auntie, tied a bit of rope around the middle (lots of swearing) and nailed it to a door frame. OMG I think I'm turning into Wendy from Bob the Builder...

fio2 Thu 18-Nov-04 18:57:08

not to do with a toddler. but my dd was 4 weeks old and the christmas tree fell over with glass baubles on, straight on top of her moses basket. i had took her out minutes earlier but there was glass everywhere really freaked me! I still have real trees though but dont put glass baubles on, but of course the lights are glass, just have to watch

zaphod Thu 18-Nov-04 19:04:27

Last year we tied the top of ours to the curtain rail, but that was only after it had been pulled down 3 times! Expect it will be the same this year as youngest is 16months. The real problem last year was that ds3 kept taking the decorations that caught his fancy, and you'd find them god knows where.

Hausfrau Thu 18-Nov-04 19:49:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loobie Thu 18-Nov-04 20:58:54

Mines is going in the corner with the sofa positioned across it so she cant get at it,luckily i have a large alcove so its in there(or will be),as for cats get a water spray and spray the cat whenever it goes near the tree,advice from the vet when ours was a kitten.

charliecat Thu 18-Nov-04 21:00:18

Always put mine on a table. Up and out of the way of little hands, the cat knocks it over at least 10 times even thought the kids cant get to it!

tassis Fri 19-Nov-04 20:17:16

Hey waswondering - your thread made it to the front page!!! (How're you doing by the way? Was going to MSN you - where are you???)

Waswondering Sat 20-Nov-04 16:52:12

I think I won't put it on a table as the flex for the lights would be way too exciting for him! I'm going for the "he won't notice it line" - hoping he'll regard it in the same way as the yucca!

Tassis - I'm only here when DH lets me, especially with the snow here - he has so much snow chat to do on his website!!! Give me a call soon - good to msn you earlier!

hatter Sat 20-Nov-04 17:04:58

I seem to remember having one devoid of decorations for the bottom couple of feet - looked kind of odd but dds couldn't reach anything interesting that way so gave up on it pretty quickly. I do remember going to a party one year with dd2 aged 19 months. She discovered that the tree was covered in chocolate...needless to say it wasn't by the time we left

blodwen Sat 20-Nov-04 23:06:31

With a lightweight artificial tree, you could hang it from the ceiling, hanging basket style!

piximon Sat 20-Nov-04 23:21:27

We corner off a section of the room around the tree and gifts with a BabyDen playpen which can be adjusted to the right size. It is a bit like looking at a display though.
The bonus is that it keeps the cats out too. If I'd known how effective it was at deterring cats I'd have got one years ago and saved myself hours wasted resurrecting trees they'd decide to climb while I wasn't looking.
Don't know what I'll do next year when he's got the strength to open the gate part...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now