Talk

Advanced search

baby shower games

(8 Posts)
helenmc Tue 15-Oct-02 10:10:21

I've been invited to a baby shower on friday, what happens as I've never been before??? what kind of games do you play? and what do you bring as pressies??

MiriamW Tue 15-Oct-02 10:28:46

Gifts: generally something for the baby, so it helps if you know the sex. I got cuddly toys, tons of clothes, a travel cot, massage oil, and a baby pack (lotion, cotton wool etc). Something nice for the mum to be is also an idea if you know her favorite moisturiser or perfume.

Games: the ones I've been to have had games along the lines of "guess the mothers birthweight", "Stork bingo" (using various baby/birth related words instead of numbers), cutting of a length of string which you estimate will go round the mother's bump - people usually over-estimate. Other ones include being given say 3 clothes-pegs to wear. If someone else hears you mention the word "baby", they can snatch one of your pegs. Also had a game where various "smells" were applied to babies nappies, and you had to guess the smell (not good if you yourself are in the early stages of pregnancy!).

Have a good time!

pipsqueak Tue 15-Oct-02 20:19:50

I went to one where you had to taste babyfood from a jar (where the label had beed obscured) and guess what it was supposed to be. They all tasted the same and quite yuk except the C&G chocolate desert which was rather yummy! hope you have fun!

Jaybee Wed 16-Oct-02 12:51:14

I am glad that someone has started this thread as I have just received an invite to a colleague's baby shower - organised by another colleague who is from the US. Not really sure what to expect, I will take a present but not sure what yet - she knows that the baby is a boy so I was thinking of a Brio train or similar - The Mum 2b is a late first time mum so my other idea was a basket of midnight essentials - things like Infacol, Calpol, Karvol or similar, saline drops, etc. What do you think - anyone got any other present ideas or other 'midnight essentials!!!'

sis Wed 16-Oct-02 13:04:20

how about a cordless phone if you know that the mum-to-be hasn't already got one - not a midnight essential but a lifesaver for the early stages of tryiong to breastfeed!

Jaybee Wed 16-Oct-02 14:53:50

sis - I agree, that was when we bought our first one - an absolute Godsend, I still wouldn't be without one five years on - she already has one though.

bettys Wed 16-Oct-02 15:14:07

Ohhhhhh, I thought this was games to play with your baby in the shower. Derrrrr.
Champagne is always good for the mum - my midwife said it was full of iron. Taken in moderation, of course. A bottle lasts a long time in the fridge if you stick a metal spoon in the top.
I wish someone had given me a digital thermometer, one of those in-the-ear jobbies. Don't know if you can use them on tiny babies, but when I did finally get one it was a godsend.

Eulalia Wed 16-Oct-02 21:20:03

Some pretty bibs? I hate seeing soggy terry toweling ones and they generally tend to be too big for a little baby.

Some writing paper/notelets for thank you notes?

Picture frames for the new arrival. Or a photo album.

For mum - a nice nightie/pjymas for those early days when you don't get dressed till mid afternoon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: