Advanced search

How do I get treatment for a phobia?

(4 Posts)
bumperlicious Tue 02-Oct-07 08:54:12

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and after reading about kerrymum's spider incident last night I've realised that I need to get this sorted.

I am terrified of spiders, I've never been 'diagnosed' as arachnaphobic but I've studied phobias and I know I am. I've got to get it sorted. Especially now I have a baby, I worry about getting so freaked out by a spider 'incident' that I will drop her.

The other day I was at an NCT sale and I picked something off DD's cardy, it was a spider's leg so I had to hand her to one of the NCT girls to check her over for spiders. Every time I pull someting out of my kitchen cupboard or wardrobe I fear there being a spider on or in it. When I come across a spider Iget very anxious and 'flappy' and feel quite sick just thinking about it, and I can't go near a spot where I have known a spider to be for fear of...well, I don't know what, spider cooties I call it.

Where/how can I get help? Free preferably!

bumperlicious Tue 02-Oct-07 14:33:16


peneloperabbit Tue 02-Oct-07 14:38:07

If you speak to your gp, you maybe able to get referred on to a cbt therapist or whatever your local trust has to offer.

Surfermum Tue 02-Oct-07 14:42:33

I used to work for a psychiatrist and she or one of the community nurses would see people for phobias. Speak to your GP and ask for a referral to your local services.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: