Talk

Advanced search

Unforeseen perils of having children

(23 Posts)
tizzwhizz Fri 28-Sep-07 22:59:06

At just 2.4 my ds has managed to break my nose this evening, Purely by accident of course. But they dont tell you about that happening in the toddler books.
I actually blame dh for tickling him at the time and causing him to throw his head back into my nose.
Now need to wait ten days or so for swelling to go down before the hospital see if they need to do anything.

ds will of course be mortified bless him in the morning.

anyone else ever ended up at a&e with a toddler related injury?

fingerwoman Fri 28-Sep-07 23:01:51

oh poor you, bet that hurts

haven't had any terrible injuries myself but a friend ended up with a broken leg from her toddler playing "horsey" on it shock

and my brother locked my mum in the pantry when he was about 3 and I was 1. she had to cut her way out with the bread knife. pmsl

EmsMum Fri 28-Sep-07 23:05:03

Not A&E but..

I've still got a bit of a scar on my forehead from when my DD was 1 and hurled herself towards me, laughing widely.

On her 3rd birthday she headbutted DH under his chin such that he nearly bit his toungue off. It was all blue and swollen.

our dentist told us he gets a lot of business courtesy of headbutting toddlers!

MamaG Fri 28-Sep-07 23:05:47

shit tizz t hat had to bloody hurt. you poor sod

Cashncarry Fri 28-Sep-07 23:11:48

Poor you tizzwhizz - icepacks and ibuprofen for the pain maybe?

I sympathise - when DD was about 9 months she scratched me right across my eyeball. I had to go to A & E where they draw a diagram of the laceration stretching diagonally across my eyeball including my pupil. I had to wear a patch for 3 weeks and it hurt like hell!

They certainly don't give you a heads up with stuff like this do they?

DontCallMeBaby Fri 28-Sep-07 23:19:18

It should be in the books. After the bit about how fontanelles aren't as vulnerable as they seem they should add 'and once your precious little baby's skull has knitted together into a nice solid toddler's skull it will be made of the hardest substance known to mankind, harder even than diamond AND SIGNIFICANTLY HARDER THAN ANY BONES YOU MAY POSSESS'.

I think DD nearly broke my nose a few weeks ago - there was a crunch, and stars, and crying. Of course within about 30 seconds I was having to comfort her.

bran Fri 28-Sep-07 23:25:27

Ooh that sounds sore, and you'll probably be sporting some attractive black eyes for a while too.

I have a paper cut on the white of one eye (so lucky that it wasn't as bad as yours CnC) courtesy of ds and the Cbeebies magazine.

Cashncarry Fri 28-Sep-07 23:29:15

oohh lordy bran - paper cut <shudder>

They're the worst because you think that they shouldn't hurt but they're excruciating

DD's a rough and tumble sort of gal so I'm frequently getting my norks elbowed and my knees in my rather ample gut. You get used to it after a while <sigh>

Cashncarry Fri 28-Sep-07 23:30:15

I mean her knees obviously blush

time for bed methinks - wish you better tizzwhizz smile

tizzwhizz Sat 29-Sep-07 08:59:06

Ouch, everyone

You have made me feel a lot better. A broken leg! omg. I also have to agree with the paper cut thing they are one of the worst especially on the eye that must be driving you insane.

And your poor dh tongue - I think that is worse than my nose at least I can still eat.

Think maybe a group of us mumsnetters should write a book on the hidden dangers, with emergency treatment advise for injuries caused by a toddler. Also dangerous activity listings eg playing horsey, tickling etc.grin

DS was a little upset this morning kept asking if it was his fault wouldnt accept an accident. Told him it was mummy and daddys fault, daddy for tickling, mummy for getting her head in the way.

Your absolutely right baby at what point do their heads become equivalent to a sledgehammer?

DontCallMeBaby Sat 29-Sep-07 22:23:02

I have something for the book: "Once your child has learned to jump, never bend over to kiss them on the top of the head without holding them very firmly by the shoulders first".

tizzwhizz Sun 30-Sep-07 08:43:12

Good one, especially having read emsmum post.

DontCallMeBaby Sun 30-Sep-07 15:06:31

Breaking news: swimming this morning, DD went to jump off the side into DH's arms, but didn't far enough, so to save her breaking her back on the side, he threw himself backwards, only it was just his top half then went back, his feet slid forwards into the side of the pool. He is now refusing to even call NHS Direct to see IF his toes are broken whether A&E could do anything, but has retired to bed with two Nurofen. He won't get much peace though, I think DD has just gone to check on him (aka bounce on him, and do more damage).

Flamesparrow Sun 30-Sep-07 15:22:04

DD cracked my nose a couple of years back - just a hairline fracture but it bloody hurt (especially wearing glasses) - you have my every sympathy!!!

Susianna Sun 30-Sep-07 15:22:40

Baby 2 is 15 weeks. Is already sledgehammer smile

tizzwhizz Sun 30-Sep-07 19:15:18

Is he ok dont call me baby. He should get it looked at. Typical man.

I also wear glasses flamesparrow or should say normally bit of a nightmare with swelling isnt it.

Susianna - Invest in some decent protective clothing before its too late. To include an american football helmet and gum shield.

tizzwhizz Sun 30-Sep-07 19:16:48

Didnt mean that to sound wrong Dont call me baby just meant typical man not going for treatment.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 01-Oct-07 09:03:51

He's cycled off to the dentist and thence to work this morning, so I guess he's okay! One toe (how do you manage to damage ONE toe against a flat wall?) is a VERY interesting shade of purple.

tizzwhizz Mon 01-Oct-07 11:24:26

ouch is the nail ok? - I would have said only a man could do something like that, but I am obviously the woman who ends up with a broken nose from a 2 year old.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 01-Oct-07 12:14:37

I'd be surprised if the nail survives, they don't normally survive this kind of thing, do they? If it drops off and turns up anywhere unexpected I'm divorcing him.

I've been clouted round the head by DD this morning, but as it was the equal and opposite reaction to her kicking a Dora wellie across the room I probably got off quite lightly.

tizzwhizz Mon 01-Oct-07 18:31:17

Hi

Dontcallmebaby - hope your dh is ok. Your right (i think) with the clout round the head. The title of the book could be "it could have been worse".

Hope your not too concussed.

glitterchick Mon 01-Oct-07 21:41:08

Feeling pain - there is nothing else to say except OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

tizzwhizz Tue 02-Oct-07 07:19:54

I felt like saying so much more glitterchick, dont know about everyone else. But cant swear in front of ds he would be telling the whole of playschool.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: