Talk

Advanced search

Anyone heard of this thinspiration crap?

(26 Posts)
lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:15:47

There are hundreds and hundreds of 'thinspiration' videos on youtube. Ive been watching some of them, theyre shocking. I find it even more shocking that they havent been banned by youtube.

What are your views on this subject?

themoon66 Thu 27-Sep-07 13:19:14

Link please? I've never heard of this.

Yorkshirepudding Thu 27-Sep-07 13:20:03

Message withdrawn

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 27-Sep-07 13:20:42

oh yes - thinspiration, favoured by pro - ANA (anorexia) and MIA (bulimia) site. Very scary and dangerous stuff.

nailpolish Thu 27-Sep-07 13:20:52

its very dangerous and MASSIVE on the internet

nailpolish Thu 27-Sep-07 13:21:19

a lot of sites get closed down but they just re open with a slightly different name

lulumama Thu 27-Sep-07 13:21:42

i wouldn;t dismiss it as crap

it is a very dangerous subculture devoted to promoting anorexia..

yes, they should be banned, but it is already a big underground movement

it is frightening

Yorkshirepudding Thu 27-Sep-07 13:22:16

Message withdrawn

lilibet Thu 27-Sep-07 13:24:10

Just a thought - anorexia is an illness, it's like trying to promote chicken pox, you either have it or you don't.

It's trying to promote starving yourself!

I think that things like this belittle the illness, people who have it don't have a choice, some of these stupid women do Grrrrr angry

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:26:10

here

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:27:56

Exactly. They stereotype(sp) the illness.

lulumama Thu 27-Sep-07 13:29:07

lilibet.. if someone has the psychological predisposition to be anorexic, and it is really complicated, they could well be tipped over the edge by this sort of online community... that feeeling of belonging and being understood is very powerful

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 27-Sep-07 13:29:38

the sufferers claim to be positive about their anorexia and kind of "re-claim" their bodies..v weird and dangerous stuff

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:30:25

They call anorexia Ana, as if its a girl, a friend. Very dangerous for young girls to see.

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:31:37

Alot of comments on these videos are from girls who arnt anorexic (yet) but claim they wish to be. I think its promoted as some sort of glamorous illness.

Susianna Thu 27-Sep-07 13:33:03

I was seriously ill with anorexia for about 4 years in my twenties. I never wanted to be thin (perhaps it was 'secondary' anorexia which is a bit different to the other sort) and knew I looked appalling.
This sort of thing though hideous would have meant nothing to me. I only wanted to look like Kate Moss like most people did then, not like I did at 6 stone whatever.

So very difficult for me to comment as I think it is powerful to some people.
Freedom of speech etc. It isn't going to make anyone anorexic if they are not already in trouble iyswim, but might encourage it in those who have a problem.

Yorkshirepudding Thu 27-Sep-07 13:33:10

Message withdrawn

Susianna Thu 27-Sep-07 13:34:58

Btw the kate moss thing was meant lightly, it wasn't why I was thin, I was thin because I was highly stressed and lost my appetite plus had various misguided 'beliefs' which haunted me and prevented me from eating enough (I was more afraid of feeling full/sick than putting on wiehgt. I wanted desperately to put on weight. Very complicated. It was more psychological than physical)

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:37:26

Yp I know its hideous. I think you tube should ban this I really do.

Susianna I think these sort of videos promote anorexia as a glamorous life style not an illness. I'm sure there are alot of sufferous out there that get very angry with these videos.

themoon66 Thu 27-Sep-07 13:37:50

The scary thing is that most of the girls on that link look normal to me. It must be the endless pictures we see every day in the press of skinny slebs like Posh and Nichole Richie et al.

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:38:14

Susianna must have been awful for you. sad

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:39:40

I know what you mean. Some dont look too bad. Some of them have pictures of models who look dangerously thin. I wonder if the shots are to warn against anorexia or not. Ill find a link.

lornaloo Thu 27-Sep-07 13:44:29

the one at 49seconds Surely she cant be a model??

Susianna Thu 27-Sep-07 13:49:41

I think you're right, lornaloo - I had a look properly and it's glamorising it, for whose profit I cannot fathom. That's why it's wrong...someone is getting something out of teen girls' misguided fantasies. sad

Yorkshirepudding Thu 27-Sep-07 13:49:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now