Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Plumbing / radiator advice needed urgently!

(17 Posts)
MrsMuddle Wed 26-Sep-07 21:41:27

OK, DH has buggered off to Switzerland "on business", and I have a radiator problem. We got a new boiler last week, and new thermostat knob-things on 12 of our radiators, which were so old, they didn't have any. We also have 5 radiators that already had thermostat knob-things on, so they didn't need new ones.

Tonight, it's freezing, but when I put the heating on, one of the radiators with the old knobs started banging really loudly. It stopped when I turned the knob. But then another one with old knobs started banging really loudly. It's really loud, and I'm already a bit scared about being in the house alone with my DC and I want it to stop!

Does anyone know enough about plumbing to tell me how to fix this? Please.

tissy Wed 26-Sep-07 21:45:36

Probably and airlock

do you have a key to bleed the radiators?

Turn the heating OFF, then go upstairs turn all the radiators to fully on, then bleed all the radiators upstairs. The go downstairs, and do the same. Then turn heating back on. Then turn radiators down if all is well

Wilkie Wed 26-Sep-07 21:46:06

Yup - radiators need bleeding

MaureenMLove Wed 26-Sep-07 21:49:51

May I just suggest that you take a tea towel with you and hold it under the valve, for when the water starts coming out! grin

MrsMuddle Wed 26-Sep-07 22:24:54

OK, stupid question - where does the water go? And how do you refill once you've bled? I'm thinking I'd rather just put several jumpers on and take the kids out to pizza express every night till DH is home. Is it a real hassle to bleed the radiators? And I don't even know if I have a key.

I have a big yellow plastic thing, but I think that might be the key to the gas box.

RustyBear Wed 26-Sep-07 22:28:01

You only let the air out, not the water. You turn the key back quickly as soon as water starts coming out, but as Maureen says, you might need something to catch the first spurt before you can get it turned off.

Wilkie Wed 26-Sep-07 22:28:53

PMSL - yellow key IS the gas box key

MrsMuddle Wed 26-Sep-07 22:35:32

Thanks, everyone. I thought I was a confident, capable female, but I'm wimping out of this. I've phoned my BIL and he's going to come round and do the necessary tomorrow. blush

MrsCellophane Wed 26-Sep-07 22:41:55

Make sure you have a try, under his supervision -then you'll feel more confident next time. I was petrified of radiator-bleeding first time I did it. It really is a doddle (slowly is the way!) but I know that "What happens if I can't turn the key back again" feeling!

MrsMuddle Wed 26-Sep-07 23:00:17

Great idea, MrsCellophane. I had visions of water spurting out and me having to hold the cap on all night until the DC wake up in the morning...

Gingerbear Wed 26-Sep-07 23:02:26

If you don't have a radiator key, I find a pair of long-nosed pliers work.

Gingerbear Wed 26-Sep-07 23:04:22

Mrs C, I once undid the screw in a radiator too far and it shot off in goodness knows which direction.

Cue GB doing 'The Little Dutch Boy' impression whilst hollering for DH.

(Don't let that put you off MrsMuddle!)

MaureenMLove Wed 26-Sep-07 23:06:33

There's supposed to be water all the way through the system. Its the water that heats up in the rads. Its just one long peice of pipe work which has water going all the way round from the tank and back again. Its banging and bubbling, because when the rads were changed, they let some air in. Its just an airlock and as the water pushes the air, it makes a noise.

MaureenMLove Wed 26-Sep-07 23:09:47

Here you, this is what a rad key looks like.

MaureenMLove Wed 26-Sep-07 23:10:49

And this is how you do it! Its dead easy!

Gingerbear Wed 26-Sep-07 23:14:57

lol at Maureen Googling an image of a rad key.

MaureenMLove Wed 26-Sep-07 23:18:45

I have no life! Besides, I'm getting good at those new links! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now