Talk

Advanced search

Baby will not sleep!

(14 Posts)
warra Wed 26-Sep-07 15:35:23

This is my first time posting on Mumsnet, thought I would seek some advice from all you more experienced mums out there! My baby girl is 2 weeks old and today I cant seem to be able to put her down - she just wont sleep! She is only happy in my arms - wide awake! Have tried to let her cry out but that just made me cry! Any suggestions?

katierocket Wed 26-Sep-07 15:36:57

poor you warra, it's very tiring and upsetting when your baby won't sleep. I had 2 like this and it can be exhausting. However, she is really young so please don't worry to much at the moment and certainly I would say don't leave her to cry at this age. Do you have someone who can take her in the day for an hour or two while you rest?

Is it just at night she won't sleep or not in the day either?

mishymoo Wed 26-Sep-07 15:38:41

Try taking her for a walk in her pushchair - the motion might soothe her and send her to sleep. If you drive, take her out for a while. My DS always falls asleep in the car and I used to be able to transfer him to cot still asleep.

warra Wed 26-Sep-07 15:40:25

The nights are fine she feeds 2-3 hourly and settles really well, it is the evenings and just today that seem to be the problem!

bohemianbint Wed 26-Sep-07 15:42:43

DS was the same, he cried an awful lot in the early weeks. It will get better, slings/swaddling etc can really help. Is she hungry? Are you BF/feeding on demand? She will settle down but leaving her to cry will just stress both of you out.

Hope things improve soon!

ladylush Wed 26-Sep-07 15:43:17

Mine was like this. A sling worked well. Had to do the housework etc with him in the sling. Sometimes he would drop off and I'd catch a brief nap. Good luck. By the way he is 3 now and not much better - sorry!

warra Wed 26-Sep-07 15:48:45

Thank you all for your advice and support. She is not hungry and the sling worked well this morning when we went out for a walk - but wide awake again as soon as we got home!! Will try going out in the car later!! thanks again - its so nice to know there are people out there who understand!

ladylush Wed 26-Sep-07 16:05:20

You poor love - totally empathise. It's no consolation when people tell you how bright and alert your baby must be when all you feel like saying is I don't care - I need some bloody sleep!

katierocket Wed 26-Sep-07 16:08:32

Your nights sounds good, in fact at 2 weeks old , they sound great! but evenings can be really hard, it will get easier. I too found sling to be a godsend, on some days (with DS2) I literally wore it all day.

warra Wed 26-Sep-07 16:09:40

Exactly! She has now been in her moses basket for two minutes - fingers crossed!

warra Wed 26-Sep-07 16:12:01

No eyes are open and she is wide awake!! I must be feeding her energy stimulant drinks in my breast milk!!!

growingbagpuss Wed 26-Sep-07 16:15:00

Warra,

Join the club. My 6 week old was like that, and she is only just settling donw. I would agree, use the motion thing, get her to sleep, even if it is in your arms, a sling, pushvhair or out in the car.

It is hard in the evenings when you are tired, hungry, and want a bit of a break - other than taking turns to eat, or grimacing while she cries if you put her down there is not much you can do.

I swear by routines (although 2 weeks is a little early) - but if you encourage her to sleep by walking, or driving, at least she won't be massively over tired in the evening.

If she doesn't settle, keep trying to offer food, and suddenly she may decided she's hungry, even after you've tried several times, and then she'll crash.

good luck, be brave, and remember, it really doesn't matter at 2 eeks if you do nothing but hold her, love her. To hell with the washing!!

warra Wed 26-Sep-07 16:18:06

Thank you, sling on again and ready for some pacing around the house!

ladylush Wed 26-Sep-07 22:24:28

It's all coming back to me as you paint such a vivid picture smile Why oh why am I bringing this on myself again by ttc! I must be mad!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: