Talk

Advanced search

Have made a life changing decision and would like some clever Mumsnetters' help Please.

(25 Posts)
Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 13:32:35

Very long boring story but resigned from my job back in July after horrendous road accident followed by a virtual nervous breakdown.
The "ideal" job came out of nowhere-huge salary,local,some nice travel etc etc.

Anyway,have decided I just don't want to be away from dd that much and so on Friday told them I won't be taking the position (due to start next weekblush).

So now I am looking at working part-time doing consultancy for my old company and basically turning my hand to whatever I can to pay the bills.

I obviously need to register as self-employed and all the malarky that goes with it (any advice on that also greatly received)
but I need a company name.

I don't need it to be specific to my role (as that could be very varied) I would just really like a clever one word name-Fanjo did spring to mind but not convinced.....grin

Any suggestions??

spinspinsugar Mon 24-Sep-07 13:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 13:46:34

Well I was in manufacturing/sales to major supermarkets but I don't want a name which ties me to that.....I have a broad range fo skills which really could be applied to anything which is why a neutral but easy/catchy or even clever name is what i am after.

MamaG Mon 24-Sep-07 13:48:33

I like whoosh

Pennies Mon 24-Sep-07 13:49:29

Hi there! [shock} - although I have to say I did get the impression you weren't 100% sold on the idea! How are you anyway? Legs better?

Hmmm, a name. Whooosh Consulting, surely? It implies speed and efficiency!

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 14:01:20

D'ya know I never even thought of Whooosh (duh).
Hmm-definitely a possible-isn't it a bit naff though?
Think I would like to keep the word "consulting" out of it as all consultants are w@nkers aren't they? wink

<<waves at Pennies>>-legs still not sorted (grrrrr).How is LO getting on at Joes?

binkleandflip Mon 24-Sep-07 14:02:55

Magenta

stressteddy Mon 24-Sep-07 14:03:58

I'm a consultant and I'm not one of those - how very dare you wink

Pennies Mon 24-Sep-07 14:08:58

Loving Jo's, hurrah.

Well how about looking at some other spellings of Whoosh (e.g. look at Latin / Ancient greek options).
Got to go. DD1 has found secret chocoalte stash and it's everywghere

Twiglett Mon 24-Sep-07 14:11:13

think you should use your own name (RL name not whoosh)

don't like individual consultants using 'company style names' it makes it sound a bit trying too hard and a little poncey

what you need is a tagline IMO

dramaqueen Mon 24-Sep-07 14:14:11

My dh has just taken redundancy to go self employed as a consultant. He uses his real life name followed by 'Associates'. So he is Mr Dramaqueen Associates.

EmsMum Mon 24-Sep-07 14:18:56

My DH went down somewhat similar route - you need to be quite careful in how you arrange consultancy with old company to ensure it really does count as self employed; could be a problem if they are your only client. You need to check the IR35 rules - I'm sure they are available on Inland Revenue website. The revenue take a dim view of people essentially doing same job but ditching NI contributions etc.

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 14:19:47

I've got a wnacky long surname in real life-even I struggle to say it sometimes hmm

Quite fancy "Twiglett" though.........

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 14:21:16

Thank you EmsMum-I had a feeling there was something like that which I had to be careful of.
Ah well-better think of some other stuff I can do as I REALLy do not want to upset the IR!

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 24-Sep-07 14:25:29

Oh hello! Pennies and I were only wondering last night what you'd decided to do - now we know!

Do you definitely want to set up a company, rather than be a sole trader? Much simpler to be a sole trader, and less IR35 risk, as you're already paying lots of tax! Happy to chat over being a sole trader if you want, as that's what I was pre-dd (and dh still is).

Pennies Mon 24-Sep-07 14:26:26

If you're looking for stuff beyond what your old company offers then here's that website I think I mentioned to you once. Second Path

Have emailed you as well if you're on for a meet up.

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 14:44:30

Oh yes please CSWS as I really don't have a clue to the advantages/disadvantages-will pay you in cake or wine!

Have looked up Whoosh on Thesaurus and alternatives were gush and spurt <snigger>

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 24-Sep-07 14:46:26

Oh yum yum. Think Pennies is sending you email about this week anyway, but I can do other days too if her suggestion doesn't work for you.

Whooosh Mon 24-Sep-07 21:38:06

Shameless bump for the evening crown id I don't go the sole trader route....

Sidge Mon 24-Sep-07 22:47:59

Brown?

As in Capability Brown, as in you are very capable?

Hmm, maybe too tenuous...

Whooosh Tue 25-Sep-07 11:58:49

Love tenuous but that may be a step too far.....smile

spinspinsugar Tue 25-Sep-07 14:26:18

Whooosh Tue 25-Sep-07 23:00:32

oooh-not sure that global lift-off is where I am going-I leave that to DP who has a great company name.
I guess it is just paperwork and website and maybe just wanting a cool name wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now