Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you be offended by this?

(32 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 17-Sep-07 19:20:51

A joke about a black plastic bag being called a 'Diana Ross'.

I'll explain the context later, just interested for now to know how people respond.

fireflyfairy2 Mon 17-Sep-07 19:21:53

Erm... I think I would need to hear all of it... it does depend in what context it was said.

Bluestocking Mon 17-Sep-07 19:22:00

My first reaction is that it's likely to be dodgy. But I am very PC so you may not be interested in my opinions.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 17-Sep-07 19:24:04

I'll explain the context then - it was in an editorial of a magazine I subscribe to (subject matter completely unrelated to music or race).
I can't find the original editorial but in the this month's issue they print an outraged letter from someone accusing them of racism and a snotty defence from the editor.

Gobbledigook Mon 17-Sep-07 19:26:00

Can't tell from what you've said

cat64 Mon 17-Sep-07 19:50:29

Message withdrawn

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 17-Sep-07 19:53:26

That's all there was to it - a black plastic bag was called a Diana Ross, the point being that she's black, plastic and a bag. hmm

ELR Mon 17-Sep-07 19:54:04

is it because she has had loadsa plastic surgery is black and old

ELR Mon 17-Sep-07 19:56:07

would not be offended, jokes like this are made all the time its only because she is black that people are offended

ELR Mon 17-Sep-07 19:56:48

i mean old bag jokes ect and peoples looks

suzycreamcheese Mon 17-Sep-07 20:18:51

no not offended
could be said about white, yellow, cheap, holy,
but its not that funny
or is it all in the telling

lulumama Mon 17-Sep-07 20:20:11

just not funny , at all , on any level

racist? don;t know

poor and shoddy humour , definitely

morningpaper Mon 17-Sep-07 20:21:35

I think it's offensive to refer to a woman as a bag

Desiderata Mon 17-Sep-07 20:23:12

I'm sorry, but it doesn't bother me remotely. But then, I'm not PC.

WelshBoris Mon 17-Sep-07 20:23:56

I prefer the ordering a Thin Crispy Supreme at Pizza Hut and getting Diana Ross

PSCMUM Mon 17-Sep-07 20:40:58

its a rubbihs thoughtless joke with no regard for a number of sensitivities - mainly because it is about women being judged by looks (nothing new I know!)

newlifenewname Mon 17-Sep-07 20:42:40

plastic bag okay, black plastic bag is a slur against her ethinicity or something. My vocab isn't so PC unfortuntaely...

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 20:43:43

could be a white plastic bag called Anne Robinson???? wink

Desiderata Mon 17-Sep-07 20:46:26

So, what constitutes a joke these days?

Anything? Or are we all so po-faced that we must look for offence at every opportunity?

Don't you get worn out, with all that bristling?

grin

Desiderata Mon 17-Sep-07 20:48:49

Why is it a slur against her ethnicity? She's black. It's a fact. You sound like someone who secretly thinks that's something to be ashamed of, and so to cover your tracks, you shout loudest in defense of her skin colour.

I don't think Ms. Ross needs your protection, do you?

newlifenewname Mon 17-Sep-07 20:53:21

yes but being plasticky is a choice isn't it, being black isn't so I don't think fodder for, um, slurrishness

wot u just said about my thinking and shouting loudest is judegemental, presumptious and unfair (on me) btw.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 17-Sep-07 20:53:48

Newlife - but what if it was white plastic bag and Anne robinson???

PSCMUM Mon 17-Sep-07 20:54:46

i don't think its anything to get that excited about. i hate being called po faced! but i think some things are worth it - not necc this plstic bag joke, tho if i am honest, i think its offensive to women that it is still ok to piss take about our looks, we can't control looking like an old bag. well i can't anyway.

WelshBoris Mon 17-Sep-07 20:55:01

No-one like my Pizza Hut joke then?

Political Correctness gone mad I tell ya

newlifenewname Mon 17-Sep-07 20:56:18

as wrong I think

The colour needs to be left out of it unless it is only distinguishing type of bag which is okay when labelling plastic bags in supermarket - e.g. don;t expect packaging to say 'plastic bags of non descript colour or race' but to bring it into the joke is wrong whether black or white.

Ann Robinosn is plastic and a 'bag' is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now